Type of HO track to use

Kiarev53

I am my HO layout and I am wondering what type of track to use. I am considering either the Tillig Pilz Elite Code 83 HO Track of Atlas Code 83 HO Track. The Tillig is from Germany and is supposed to be a much higher quality than the Atlas, but the Atlas is well known and is made here at home. In terms of price, they are about the same. What do you think?? Thanks for sharing your ideas with me.

Mark

I have over 1300' of Atlas track including 115 switches. I have never had a problem. I use code 100 because that's what was available when I started, but I assume code 83 is no different in quality.

Atlas is a well known brand and easily available anywhere throughout the US, Tillig is not a brand I'm familiar with so I'm unsure how readily available it is in the US.

If you can find someone or a club who use Tillig track, might be worth having a chat with them first.

Last edited:
Before you buy Atlas double then triple check what you need. Code 83 for Atlas is supposedly in short supply in the USA.

I use Micro Engineering on my current layout in Code 70. My 2 staging yards though are using the Code 100 Atlas from a previous layout.

If you can get it Atlas code 83 will be fine. I have seen the new Walthers track and it is nice. Once ballasted I can’t tell which brand is being used. Have fun with whatever you purchase.

Knowing what I know now, (and, given my location) I would've gone with Peco code 100 not Hornby track. And only code100 because OO scale, really doesn't like code 83.

I built my empire using the Atlas code 83 flex and a mix of Shinohara and Walthers #6 and higher turnouts. 6.5 scale miles of double track mainline.
Once you install the track, it just sits there. The only problem I've had with any flex track is the Shinohara which doesn't flex on it's own. The track is tight so ya have to work it to the curves ya want.

I want to say "Thank you!!" to everyone who took the time to share their ideas and experiences with me. I sincerely appreciate what you all have shared with me and with this forum. Your sharing is deeply appreciated.

Mark

100 to 83 is only 0.017 of an inch difference
My thoughts exactly. Average human hair is .016" to .05". Once painted and ballasted, I cannot tell the difference between code 100 and code 83. And until recently, code 100 was always less expensive. More $$$ for rolling stock.

You have some very thick hair, Willie, an order of magnitude more robust than most.

I used 3 different rail sizes from 6 or 7 brands because it's what I had collected over the years and I didn't want to buy more. There are several ways to join different size rail, just try to get the running surface smooth. Code 83 is the HO scale size of common-on-mainline 136 pound (per yard) rail and Code 100 represents 150 lb rail, AFAIK, only found on the Pennsy.

I am my HO layout and I am wondering what type of track to use. I am considering either the Tillig Pilz Elite Code 83 HO Track of Atlas Code 83 HO Track. The Tillig is from Germany and is supposed to be a much higher quality than the Atlas, but the Atlas is well known and is made here at home. In terms of price, they are about the same. What do you think?? Thanks for sharing your ideas with me.

Mark
Never heard of Tillig track. But, after doing a little bit of research..................

The Tillig track has more of a European look to it than the Atlas track. The Tillig ties look to be further apart, and the tie plates don't really resemble anything I'm used to seeing in America. However, the Tillig track does look to be quite quality, especially their turnouts with their great looking point rails and frogs. Here they definitely have an edge over Atlas, at least in the "looks" department.

Actually, even though Atlas is an American company, their track products are all made in China as far as I know. With that in mind, I could easily see a German-made product being of higher quality than a Chinese-made product.

Personally, I'd go with Atlas track if I were building an HO-scale layout right now, due to the more American look. But that's just me and my preference. I would imagine you'd be just fine either way you decide to go.

Back