The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

Two pics that might give ideas, I forget the thread but love both plans.

1245391B-9BA1-494A-A6E6-FA1A1A1C28AB.png

CBF219B8-9DDE-4ABB-AF65-BE8ECC26792A.png

I can’t remember but it has to be in our layout section some place, it has only been posted in the past year. I will try and find the thread again. It could be on the other forum as well. Searching now.

Well I was decided to rip out all the wiring on the remainder of my layout, that was my plan, but took one look this morning and went "nope, not today".

Instead I decided to do some scenery in the the yard, or more precisely how it would look if I do it, this is using N scale fine ballast sheets which I was given some years ago, (if it's MRR related and free, I'll take it, even if I don't have a use for it, yet :) )

I've just laid it in place for now, it needs to be expanded behind the goods and Loco sheds and also up towards the right as well, this is just so I get an idea where to put the access road(s), I'm thinking of from the goods shed run it behind the stub ends and off over the double track behind the Loco shed.

20220807_131101.jpg

This is why I'm not going to rip out the wiring, and yes, I know I'm a wimp, but just not in the mood to tackle this today.

20220807_131131.jpg

20220807_131125.jpg

Well I was decided to rip out all the wiring on the remainder of my layout, that was my plan, but took one look this morning and went "nope, not today".

Instead I decided to do some scenery in the the yard, or more precisely how it would look if I do it, this is using N scale fine ballast sheets which I was given some years ago, (if it's MRR related and free, I'll take it, even if I don't have a use for it, yet :) )

I've just laid it in place for now, it needs to be expanded behind the goods and Loco sheds and also up towards the right as well, this is just so I get an idea where to put the access road(s), I'm thinking of from the goods shed run it behind the stub ends and off over the double track behind the Loco shed.

View attachment 149764

This is why I'm not going to rip out the wiring, and yes, I know I'm a wimp, but just not in the mood to tackle this today.

View attachment 149765
View attachment 149766
Is this what I have to look forward to…..lol?

This is how the layout looked this morning before I started removing everything, (well, nearly everything).

20220816_125359.jpg

And this is where I am tonight, I've added chocolate blocks to all the old and new dropper wires and TO's. Tomorrow I need to run the new buss wire and connect the feeders, hopefully I can get the TO wiring done too.

20220816_223654.jpg

One of these pics isn’t like the other…..lol, isn’t it 2am over there Smudge……lol, no I can’t add …..lol
I hope one picture isn't like the other, or I'm working backwards lol, no, one pic just shows one side of the layout, the second one is of both sides, and yes, it is now 2.07am, I posted the fotos about 11.30pm, but it's way past this old man's bedtime lol.

The first one looks similar to what I've built, but a lot better, and far more elegant than my feeble attempt. Would I be right in thinking this is using Peco track?

Thanks for the shout-out Gary!! I am using Micro Engineering flex track and a combination of Peco and Walthers TOs. I will say that I scrapped that plan as I discovered the impossibility of servicing the spurs south (below) the reversing leg. There was no way to get a loco up front so that I could back in and drop the cars! Whoops!

You're doing great Smudge!

Steve J

Yeah, climbing under and trying to do anything like this was a definate no for me, and it's a flipping sight easier too. 🤣

I'm going to re-phrase that statement to read

"it's a lot easier, than crawling under the layout, assuming the thing doesn't fall on your head".

Which happened a little earlier today, so now I have lacerations to my head and arm, a smashed watch and a headache, at least I can fix my watch myself, my head and arm will take a while longer.

The good news is that because I was standing in it's way, the layout is still attached to the wall, and not in several pieces on the floor.

Now for a very large cup of tea, and a even larger aspirin or two (or maybe three).

Oh! and Murphy's law strikes again, I bought 30' of two core cable to replace the buss wire, and today while looking for some tools found the one I had already bought, and forgotten about. 🤣

Well, finally finished connecting the dropper wires, had no end of shorts, couldn't figure out why for a while, two I found were that I hadn't secured the few remaining lights that I hadn't removed, (there made of some kind of aluminium I think) and were sitting across the track, sorted them out and then found seven more, that really had me stumped for most of the afternoon.

Found out that I was the cause, I had originally wired it for DC with the option of going DCC so I had incorporated a buss wire in the original layout, when I moved to DCC I just added a half dozen extra droppers where ever I could easily access the buss wire, when I started the re vamp I added a lot more droppers so when I began the re wire I had grouped two or three dropper wires together, thinking that as their all the same polarity, it shouldn't be a problem, WRONG, each dropper has to be independently wired up, (something I didn't know till now) when I had two or three droppers together, it caused a short, I have no idea why, but I'm not an electrician, so......

.Anyway that's all done and working, I was going to do the TO wiring, but I'm really not in the mood for more electrical work, maybe some scenics, instead, we'll see.

Back