New to these Forums

Welcome to the Forum, always glad to see new members. You'll find us a friendly bunch.

If I may ask, is there any particular reason why you keep changing your mind when you start a layout?

Welcome to the Forum, always glad to see new members. You'll find us a friendly bunch.

If I may ask, is there any particular reason why you keep changing your mind when you start a layout?
Ill get so far and no like the way the tracks are or ill get a different idea of how I want the layout to look. This very last time I was rent a home from an Insane man and he decided to drunkenly come into our home when we were home and broke $25,000 worth of lumber and tracks and locomotives.

Hope you were able to salvage something, and have found a sober, sane landlord to rent from. For your next layout, I'd recommend getting some books on layouts, and then sitting down with paper and pencil or laying out some paper templates of the track and turnouts you might use.
Welcome to the forum. We'll try to answer any questions you may have.

Ill get so far and no like the way the tracks are or ill get a different idea of how I want the layout to look. This very last time I was rent a home from an Insane man and he decided to drunkenly come into our home when we were home and broke $25,000 worth of lumber and tracks and locomotives.
Ouch! That had to hurt,I hope you were able to manage to salvage most of your stuff.

Ouch! That had to hurt,I hope you were able to manage to salvage most of your stuff.
I think I managed to salvage my DCC Controller, which I later found out was actually cracked severely, I salvaged a few rolling stock and 2 locomotives that werent the best quality. Whats worse is there were 5 locomotives that my father bought me before he passed that are hard to find that this insane man completely stomped to complete disrepair. And one brass loco that was completely custom painted.

Did you file a police report? That is insane.

Tell us a little more about what you like about model trains. For me, I really like building the structures and scenery, but I didn't do any of the scenery, until I had played around with various layouts using AnyRail (there are other programs just as good), including printing the layout full size so I could lay down the pieces of paper and could visualize it before I built anything.

If you're not into building scenery, then changing layout designs isn't as drastic.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to "start over" after building all the scenery. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is plan once, cry once. No plan, cry often.

Did you file a police report? That is insane.

Tell us a little more about what you like about model trains. For me, I really like building the structures and scenery, but I didn't do any of the scenery, until I had played around with various layouts using AnyRail (there are other programs just as good), including printing the layout full size so I could lay down the pieces of paper and could visualize it before I built anything.

If you're not into building scenery, then changing layout designs isn't as drastic.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to "start over" after building all the scenery. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is plan once, cry once. No plan, cry often.
I filed a police report. Unfortunately he claimed that he thought his home was in danger and entered to make sure it was ok. He claimed I damaged my layout due to "shotty construction".

I Like modeling what I experience locally and even the occasional "WHAT IF" scenario.
I am going to be moving into a home soon that will be mine so the house will come first before I start a layout. Im thinking a simple dual track main with some industry and sidings

Sorry you lost so much stuff. Hopefully, your new home will have a place where you can build to your heart's content. You mention the Pocono Mountain Route, which caught my eye because my layout is also of a mountainous area (Well... the Hills of West Virginia anyway).

People tend to be in one of 2 camps when it comes to layouts: Some people just want to watch them run, and some people want to have jobs to do to keep it interesting and stimulating.

I decided to have 2 tracks, one up in the hills, and one on river level. I did this so I could sit back and watch the train run around on the upper level while at the same time, I could do "jobs" on the lower racks that have a few spurs and yards to deliver to and pick up from.

Kind of the best of both worlds.

Also, I have to ask what scale you have. The reason I ask, is that it sounds like you are just about having to start over, so maybe you can consider N scale. Most people are HO, which is understandable, given the overwhelming popularity. But N gauge has come a long way, and you can do just about twice as much in N scale as compared to HO in any given space.

Here's a short video of my layout from a few months ago. I still need to do the scenery along the river (which is just a white sheet of styrene at the moment), but I have done a lot more scenery since then. But maybe this will give you some inspiration for a mountain-like scenic model railroad.

This is N scale, total footprint is 11'x10', so it would float inside your typical spare bedroom.

Sorry you lost so much stuff. Hopefully, your new home will have a place where you can build to your heart's content. You mention the Pocono Mountain Route, which caught my eye because my layout is also of a mountainous area (Well... the Hills of West Virginia anyway).

People tend to be in one of 2 camps when it comes to layouts: Some people just want to watch them run, and some people want to have jobs to do to keep it interesting and stimulating.

I decided to have 2 tracks, one up in the hills, and one on river level. I did this so I could sit back and watch the train run around on the upper level while at the same time, I could do "jobs" on the lower racks that have a few spurs and yards to deliver to and pick up from.

Kind of the best of both worlds.

Also, I have to ask what scale you have. The reason I ask, is that it sounds like you are just about having to start over, so maybe you can consider N scale. Most people are HO, which is understandable, given the overwhelming popularity. But N gauge has come a long way, and you can do just about twice as much in N scale as compared to HO in any given space.

Here's a short video of my layout from a few months ago. I still need to do the scenery along the river (which is just a white sheet of styrene at the moment), but I have done a lot more scenery since then. But maybe this will give you some inspiration for a mountain-like scenic model railroad.

This is N scale, total footprint is 11'x10', so it would float inside your typical spare bedroom.

I do HO Scale. I have 4 locomotives currently that werent at the house at the time when all this crap went down. And I had a bunch of rolling stock in storage bins. I lost all of my well cars, all of my autoracks and most of DoD Flat Cars. I just want to watch trains run. They dont even need to have sound on. And eventually my layout would be 3 mains, 2 larger freight yards and small town features.

Back