truck conversion passenger coaches

Smudge617,
I always mount the coupler box at the end of the car, usually the Kadee Snap Together coupler boxes have a small lip sticking up and I use that as my stop, and go from there. If anything interferes with that placement then I have to make a decision. Usually, I will remove any molded in details that you can't see when the car is riding the rails. That includes anything that interferes with the maximum swing possible. After all a car that can't make it through our curves is useless. That is just me! Most everything on the underside of a car is visible only when you are holding it upside down. How is that realistic? Glenn
Oh, ok. It's just that the 451's in the pictures look to be mounted further forward and not flush with the beam as normal, and wondered how you worked out that distance.

Oh, ok. It's just that the 451's in the pictures look to be mounted further forward and not flush with the beam as normal, and wondered how you worked out that distance.
Smudge617,
I see what you are talking about, but I don't remember why I did that. It isn't how I ordinarily mount them. Sorry, I can't remember why I did that. As I said, whenever I do a conversion my goal is to have the longer rolling stock, or engine, run smoothly on my track. I will make whatever adjustments I need to. Glenn

Smudge617,
I see what you are talking about, but I don't remember why I did that. It isn't how I ordinarily mount them. Sorry, I can't remember why I did that. As I said, whenever I do a conversion my goal is to have the longer rolling stock, or engine, run smoothly on my track. I will make whatever adjustments I need to. Glenn
OK, I only asked as I've mounted my #5's flush, and they won't work like that, just get derailments on every curve, when I saw you'd mounted them further forward, that's why I've ordered the 451

Mike,
I am including pics I took today and will explain what I am showing in each one:
Glenn
That's a Walther's Proto truck with those screws in the top took a quick look on walthers didn't find that one could be discontinued
Still nice job well done and yes that bar/hanger on then was just a pivot for the brake shoes on the ends of the truck
Mike

Smudge,
Your problem, assumimng your talking about the Rivarossi car, is to use a Kadee #451 coupler. A #5 won't work. You need the coupler to be able to swing much wider, so it doesn't pull the car off the track. That is why I removed the underside details that interfered with the maximum swingI could get. Glenn

Glenn
That's a Walther's Proto truck with those screws in the top took a quick look on walthers didn't find that one could be discontinued
Still nice job well done and yes that bar/hanger on then was just a pivot for the brake shoes on the ends of the truck
Mike
Mike, Thanks for telling me what that bar was for. If you are referring to the picture of two cars, on their roofs, yes the top one could be a Photo truck. I don't know much about them. The one in the bottom of the picture, three axle, is the Rapido truck I am converted too. Glenn

Attachments

• Rivarossi Kadee #451 1.jpeg
    Rivarossi Kadee #451 1.jpeg
    607.8 KB · Views: 91
Smudge,
Your problem, assumimng your talking about the Rivarossi car, is to use a Kadee #451 coupler. A #5 won't work. You need the coupler to be able to swing much wider, so it doesn't pull the car off the track. That is why I removed the underside details that interfered with the maximum swingI could get. Glenn
The rivarossi are my only coaches with a problem, but the 451' s are on the way. Postage wasn't too bad altogether came to $52.45

Mike, Thanks for telling me what that bar was for. If you are referring to the picture of two cars, on their roofs, yes the top one could be a Photo truck. I don't know much about them. The one in the bottom of the picture, three axle, is the Rapido truck I am converted too. Glenn
Glenn
No I'm referring to the three axle truck The only ones I know of were Life Like Proto and now Walther's Proto trucks that are held together with screws I've never seen a Rapido truck like that

I had to go look I was pretty sure I had some rivarossi cars who don't any way I just used long shank kadee's and a kadee box seems to work ok
I might put some of these trucks on them they are from Redball all metal I have probably a thousand or more Got them from a guy that worked there years ago

Attachments

• DSC_0387.JPG
    DSC_0387.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0388.JPG
    DSC_0388.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0389.JPG
    DSC_0389.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 78
I had to go look I was pretty sure I had some rivarossi cars who don't any way I just used long shank kadee's and a kadee box seems to work ok
I might put some of these trucks on them they are from Redball all metal I have probably a thousand or more Got them from a guy that worked there years ago
I tried that, but mine still derailed, so going the Kadee 451 route, going to be annoyed if this doesn't work.

Glenn
No I'm referring to the three axle truck The only ones I know of were Life Like Proto and now Walther's Proto trucks that are held together with screws I've never seen a Rapido truck like that
Well that might be a Photo, but I've never bought Proto trucks. Glenn

I used the #146 long shank instead of the medium length maybe that gave me enough side to side
Possibly, I'll have to dig the box out to check which one's I used, but hopefully the 451 will do the trick, only thing holding their completion now is the postal system and possibly the customs people, I don't know if their subject to import tax either, haven't paid any so far on stuff I've bought from the US, so fingers crossed. :)

Possibly, I'll have to dig the box out to check which one's I used, but hopefully the 451 will do the trick, only thing holding their completion now is the postal system and possibly the customs people, I don't know if their subject to import tax either, haven't paid any so far on stuff I've bought from the US, so fingers crossed. :)
Hopefully, there isn't any tax. I hate paying tax, got a nice refund this year, though. I'm assuming you are in Canada, sorry if your not. I love that place, especially Rice Lake and Prince Edward County. Glenn

Hopefully, there isn't any tax. I hate paying tax, got a nice refund this year, though. I'm assuming you are in Canada, sorry if your not. I love that place, especially Rice Lake and Prince Edward County. Glenn
I've been to Canada once, place called Medicine Hat, live firing range for tanks and artillery, that we used, nice, but not a lot to see. I'm in the UK, but would love to live there.

I am Canadian, but have not lived there, Toronto, since I was ten. I currently live in Easton, PA. I hope you can get the #451 couplers to work. Glenn

I am Canadian, but have not lived there, Toronto, since I was ten. I currently live in Easton, PA. I hope you can get the #451 couplers to work. Glenn
I hope so, Walthers have the McHenry couplers, but I'm going to have to make a order of at least $130 to warrant the postage costs, and apart from a new motor I don't need anything else from them.

I hope so, Walthers have the McHenry couplers, but I'm going to have to make a order of at least $130 to warrant the postage costs, and apart from a new motor I don't need anything else from them.
NO! STOP! PASS GO AND GO straight to jail, if you use McHenry couplers. To be honest there are many modelers who use McHenry couplers and swear by them. However, even when I get a piece of rolling stock that come with McHenry couplers they get replaced as soon as I have the time. I have some inclines up to 4% and I am not trusting a plastic coupler, especially over time. I have never seen any plastic, under stress, that doesn't eventually fail. Stick with Kadee Whisker couplers. Their performance is even superior to Kadee #5s. Glenn

NO! STOP! PASS GO AND GO straight to jail, if you use McHenry couplers. To be honest there are many modelers who use McHenry couplers and swear by them. However, even when I get a piece of rolling stock that come with McHenry couplers they get replaced as soon as I have the time. I have some inclines up to 4% and I am not trusting a plastic coupler, especially over time. I have never seen any plastic, under stress, that doesn't eventually fail. Stick with Kadee Whisker couplers. Their performance is even superior to Kadee #5s. Glenn
Oh, ok thanks for that, I've seen Kadee #408 similar to the 451's, might have to try those if push comes to shove

Smudge Agree pass on the McHenry couplers never liked them I don't think there is a #408 Kadee there is a 508 but it's no where near the 451
And question are you ordering these from Walther's there are several other places that have better price and ship International

Back