Trucks for EMD export G8/G12

Severity One

Hi,

After having started a thread on the non-model Railroad Forums (to be found here), it was suggested that my question be asked here, because it has more to do with modelling than with the 'real thing'.

There used to be an EMD G12 derived model for the European market, that was built by Henschel in Germany. In total, five were built for the Dutch State (coal) Mines, until these closed towards the end of the sixties. They were then bought by the Dutch (state) Railways, where they stayed for five years. After that, they were sold to Spain where they served on a normal-gauge network, only to be scrapped when the network was changed to metre-gauge in 1982.

There is one photograph to be found on-line:

http://www.nicospilt.com/RvdR19710630_268.JPG
Source: http://www.nicospilt.com/ (in Dutch)

It's a black-and-white photograph of a loco, in the horrible yellow/grey livery that the Dutch Railways introduced in 1970. There are other photos in my possession, but I cannot place these on-line without breaking copyright laws.

But if you enlarge and enhance the photo somewhat, you should be able to make out the trucks. Because that is what my question is about, after this long introduction.

For the model itself, a Frateschi G8/G12 can be used. The top can be recycled and replaced by one made out of polystyrene. The problem is the trucks. Those on the Frateschi model are completely different from the one that I would like to build.

So, my question is, has anybody ever seen trucks like these in H0? Building them from scratch likely exceeds my abilities, not to mention my amount of free time, so if there would be a solution for sale, that would be great.

Thanks,

- Peter

I don't know that anyone makes those exact trucks, but they look very similar to the Flexicoil trucks EMD put on SW1500's built in the 70's. It looks like you could just add those "boxes" on either side of the axles and get a reasonably similar looking truck. I'm not sure how hard it would be to change the trucks and or side frames on your model though.

Good luck with the project

You know, I'm not seeing it anymore, but a few weeks back someone has export EMD units on eBay, a seller out of Australia, that had those exact trucks on them. They were listed in the $20 USD range.

Fred, the only thing different between his link & mine, is the location of the brake cylinder, and the size of the boxes.

But I do believe you are correct, they DO look like sand boxes. Look at the design of the cap.

Oh, I think I should point out, that it seems the truck design varies ALLOT on the G8/G12's. Way more then we see in North American bound units.

As I keep looking, I think you best bet would be to do some modification to the Frateschi ones, though they are of another design, they can be files and filled to match, I'd think.

Quoted from http://www.frateschi.com.br/produtos/g12.php
The G-12 and G-8 are locomotives for general services, of low cost, that the General Motors produced in the years of 1955 up to 1970. The basic points of the original project had objectified the production of a versatile, simple, economic locomotive, adaptable you vary it bifools, and of diverse applications, as much for service in branches as lines trunk. They had been constructed in versions B-B or A1A-A1A, with or without dynamic brake, and vendidas for a great amount of countries, as Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Chile, Argentina, New Zelândia, Australia, Africa of the South, Nigéria, Irã, Indonesia, Egypt, etc... They had been, until little time, the locomotives most popular of Brazil, being still in use, in all the regions of the country. The biggest difference between the G-12 and G-8 is the number of cylinders and the power of the engine diesel, V-12 with 1245 HP and V-8 with 950 HP, respectively.

The only problem is the different build location (the ones made by Frateschi replicate ones built in the states and exported if I remember right), and different trucks.

Yes, I was afraid it would be coming to filing down the Frateschi trucks. Note that the Frateschi trucks are significantly different from the ones shown in your and my photos.

The SM 150/NS 2900 (the locomotive that this question is about) has sandboxes on the trucks like the Australian one, but they are flatter, and the covers are rectangular (with rounded corners). And instead of one big brake cylinder, it has two smaller ones.

Still, the Australian model might be an easier starting point.

- Peter

Back