Steam starter set HELP

So I've decided to get a starter set so I have something fun to run in circles while I am working on my layout and to give me incentive to keep at it. I want a steam set but about all I can find are sets made by bachmann and I would prefer something of better quality. Are there any Kato steam sets out there with everything to get up and running that I am not finding. I can find diesel, but nothing in steam. I'm trying to keep the budget under $300 so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I should mention I'm looking for n scale.

Welcome to the site.

I'm surprised that there isn't more in steam besides bachmann. May I suggest you buy a separate locomotive and train starter set? That is get the roundy round starter set and then get an addition locomotive to pair with it?

At least that's what I'd do.

Welcome to the site.

I'm surprised that there isn't more in steam besides bachmann. May I suggest you buy a separate locomotive and train starter set? That is get the roundy round starter set and then get an addition locomotive to pair with it?

At least that's what I'd do.
not the most inexpensive route, but it would work.

Kato makes a couple of beautiful 4-8-4s, some in sets, but they are pricey for just something to tool around in an oval.
Most of the newer Bachmann is vastly better than what was around a decade or more ago.
Their current dcc 4-6-0 looks and runs great. Between that and an oval of Unitrack and a half dozen cars, it would be a not ungodly amount of money.

Contrary to some left over mis-beliefs about Bachmann, they make some of the best HO steam locos in the hobby today...I'd like to think it's the same for their N counterparts...
I'm in HO NCE/DCC and own their 'Modernized 4-4-0', and their 4-6-0. Both are detailed to the max, painted and numbered exquisitely, have strong headlights, lots of metal components, full valve gear and rods, and run smooooooth...
Why not buy one high quality loco, a few separate cars, and track sections where the engine and cars will continue to be favorable once you do build your full layout... A starter set can become unfavorable later; especially if it comes with an inferior controller when you may be planning a separate controller such as NCE, Digitrax, MRC, etal...

I have a Bachmann set like this. I paid $99 for it and it has never given me any trouble.
1593858943436.png

Back