Displaying the unused

bklynman01

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I feel like I'm just showing off a build of mine. If the admins feel it should be moved, just let me know and I'll do it.

I recently built a new bench with cubbies in the mudroom and had some MDF and beadboard left over. In under an hour, I ripped down some MDF into 3 inch strips that were each 3 foot long (the length of a single piece of flex track). I cut out a couple of "jigs" that are 4 inches tall to create even spacing for every shelf. Somewhere, my math was off and the top shelf is 1/2 inch shorter than the others. 🤷‍♂️ After all the shelves and the outside frame were glued and nailed together, I cut a piece of beadboard to fit the back and nailed that into the perimeter pieces, and then into each shelf.

Total cost: $0 (all scrap material)
Total time: about 45~50 minutes?

20200413_191044.jpg

There's 4 screws total holding it up on the wall, hit studs with all of them. The top two screws are ugly and visible. I put them in first, then stood back to look and realized they are too high to be hidden by the rolling stock. So, the lower two screws are nicely hidden behind those Pullmans on the 4th shelf. The bottom shelf has some old EZ-Track that I considered using (as the design intent mentioned earlier) but after spending enough time taking the few cars on and off a few times, I've decided to not use tracks at all.

Anyway, I hope you like it. I do like to hear good and bad feedback, as I'm sure this isn't the last time I build something like this. I can think of a few improvements for the next one, I wonder if anyone else has good ideas.

...Something to keep the dust out would be good. Perspex or Lexan.

Yeah, I think the next build will certainly include some type of cover. This one is mounted low enough where my son can reach the bottom 3 shelves so he can switch out what's in operation. The next case would include a door and mounted a little higher as an actual "display case" for my stuff.

Glad wrap?

Best idea I've heard all day! Although, it's still before 10am :)

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I feel like I'm just showing off a build of mine. If the admins feel it should be moved, just let me know and I'll do it.

I recently built a new bench with cubbies in the mudroom and had some MDF and beadboard left over. In under an hour, I ripped down some MDF into 3 inch strips that were each 3 foot long (the length of a single piece of flex track). I cut out a couple of "jigs" that are 4 inches tall to create even spacing for every shelf. Somewhere, my math was off and the top shelf is 1/2 inch shorter than the others. 🤷‍♂️ After all the shelves and the outside frame were glued and nailed together, I cut a piece of beadboard to fit the back and nailed that into the perimeter pieces, and then into each shelf.

View attachment 46522

There's 4 screws total holding it up on the wall, hit studs with all of them. The top two screws are ugly and visible. I put them in first, then stood back to look and realized they are too high to be hidden by the rolling stock. So, the lower two screws are nicely hidden behind those Pullmans on the 4th shelf. The bottom shelf has some old EZ-Track that I considered using (as the design intent mentioned earlier) but after spending enough time taking the few cars on and off a few times, I've decided to not use tracks at all.

Anyway, I hope you like it. I do like to hear good and bad feedback, as I'm sure this isn't the last time I build something like this. I can think of a few improvements for the next one, I wonder if anyone else has good ideas.
Good start! I've made a few of those myself, except about six feet long to hold about 60 years worth of rolling stock and locomotives I just don't have room for on my layout, but don't want to hide in a drawer someplace!

What might be a good system to locate the trains a bit more securely, as, as you noted, tracks are not the best or easiest, would be, if you have a table saw or router with a guide fence, to cut groove "tracks" in the shelf's surface, deep enough for the flanges to sit into. Easy then to place the rolling stock into and prevent sideways movement once located.

I think you have more in those china cabinets than total pieces I have! Also, my wife is happy that I have a new shelf for display/storage of my trains, but she's mostly happy that said display is confined to the room. I'll need a few more decades of collecting before even asking about putting this stuff out in "the public" of the house.

Grooves would work, but you'd have to take it apart to do them.

Another option would be to get some brass flex track or even sectional track. Why brass? Simple, you can find it cheap and the fact it's brass doesn't matter for a display.

However, you'd have the same problem of putting them back on that you did with the flex.

Grooves would work, but you'd have to take it apart to do them.

Another option would be to get some brass flex track or even sectional track. Why brass? Simple, you can find it cheap and the fact it's brass doesn't matter for a display.

However, you'd have the same problem of putting them back on that you did with the flex.
You can use brass sectional track, which is slightly more work to install, but you can also use the straight rerailer sections that are found in that type of track. Put the rerailer in the center of each shelf area, then place a car or engine on it, and push it across the rerailer.

You can use brass sectional track, which is slightly more work to install, but you can also use the straight rerailer sections that are found in that type of track. Put the rerailer in the center of each shelf area, then place a car or engine on it, and push it across the rerailer.
Additional note added!

View attachment 46522

Great work and thanks for posting this thread. I've been taking notes!

eBay can be your friend if you are looking for cheap track.

eBay can be your friend if you are looking for cheap track.

I used to be an avid user of eBay, but for whatever reason gravitated away from it. Instead, I've developed a love/hate relationship with the used section at the LHS. The prices are usually real hard to say no to, but I usually don't need anything that's on that shelf. So I end up with unmatching rolling stock, half-assembled kits, and electronics that aren't really fully working. But it's so hard to say no....

Back