New to DCC

dano126

Hello, I'm new to DCC, and just dove into it head first...and I know nothing. I have my layout all set up for it, with a program track and all.
I put a NCE P2KSR decoder in a Proto 2000 GP30, and nothing happened when I put it on either the program track or main line. So then, about a half hour ago, I put a Digitrax DH126D decoder in a Athearn RTR GP60M DCC quick plug equipped. With out putting it on the program track, I set it on the mainline, and turned on my MRC Prodigy Advance2, and the loco moved, but really loud, and no real speed, when I turned the throttle wide open. As far as this one is concerned, would i have to put it on my program track and change some CV's to make it run right?
Then, back to the Proto, should I flip the decoder around to see it that makes a difference?
I'll take any kind of productive input. I've been wanting to get this railroad back in business. Its been down for 15 years, due to a fire in our basement that took out my original DC layout. I acquired locos, rolling stock and other stuff in the mean time. Now the time has come to rebuild the Empire!

As far as the NCE P2KSR is concerned it seems you may have it reversed. Here is a pic of that decoder showing Pin1 indicated with a small arrowhead. That must go into the Pin 1 socket on the loco's board. Also there is usually another adapter plug that goes between board and decoder. They sometimes don't get supplied with either engine or decoder.
1585466761044.png

Hey, welcome and welcome to DCC. I'm by no means an expert at DCC, but I've done a number of installs on my fleet and run an NCE system.

To help us understand your issue, can you be a little more specific on the GP30 when you say "nothing happened?" I'm not familiar with MRC's system, but on the programing track, were you able to get your system to recognize and identify the new decoder? Were you able to program a locomotive address (i.e. ID number) for it? Did any functions such as lights work?

Generally when I install a decoder, before putting the locomotive shell back on, I put it on the programming track and in programming mode, make sure the system can identify and program the new decoder. I'll briefly check the lights, sound (if equipped), and motion, before putting the shell back on. I've learned the hard way on having to reopen shells after things didn't work properly. And then there was the time on a recent install-- with the shell off, the loco ran fine, no problems. But when I put the shell back on and put it on the track, my layout would short out. WTH? Turns out there was a tiny bit of headlight wire that I'd missed a spot of liquid electrical tape on, and when I put the shell on, that exact spot of wire was contacting the frame.

But if you're already doing that, disregard.

You really should look into getting JMRI software it is free. This wll help you go through all you programing needs for DCC.

Depending on how computer savvy you are! :)

This is a non sound decoder and comes with a nice little list of functions, which CV's to change to set them, and you can do everything you need to do right off the hand set. If you are computer savvy, then my all means have at the JMRI. If you aren't, you'll find that trying to figure out two new things at once is going to frustrate the bejabbers out of you! First thing to do is make sure both locos run well on DC. DC doesn't fix mechanical or electrical issues already present. If they run normally on DC, plug the decoder back in, and try again. You really shouldn't have to change anything on these for normal basic running. In some 25 years of decoder installs I haven't had to. Toot is correct about the orientation on the 8 pin plug. For the DH 126D did you remove the 8 pin dummy plug from the Athearn board? All dummy plugs have to be removed on the Athearn board or you might let the smoke out of the decoder!

Hey, welcome and welcome to DCC. I'm by no means an expert at DCC, but I've done a number of installs on my fleet and run an NCE system.

To help us understand your issue, can you be a little more specific on the GP30 when you say "nothing happened?" I'm not familiar with MRC's system, but on the programing track, were you able to get your system to recognize and identify the new decoder? Were you able to program a locomotive address (i.e. ID number) for it? Did any functions such as lights work?

Generally when I install a decoder, before putting the locomotive shell back on, I put it on the programming track and in programming mode, make sure the system can identify and program the new decoder. I'll briefly check the lights, sound (if equipped), and motion, before putting the shell back on. I've learned the hard way on having to reopen shells after things didn't work properly. And then there was the time on a recent install-- with the shell off, the loco ran fine, no problems. But when I put the shell back on and put it on the track, my layout would short out. WTH? Turns out there was a tiny bit of headlight wire that I'd missed a spot of liquid electrical tape on, and when I put the shell on, that exact spot of wire was contacting the frame.

But if you'

But if you're already doing that, disregard.

already doing that, disregard.
Depending on how computer savvy you are! :)

This is a non sound decoder and comes with a nice little list of functions, which CV's to change to set them, and you can do everything you need to do right off the hand set. If you are computer savvy, then my all means have at the JMRI. If you aren't, you'll find that trying to figure out two new things at once is going to frustrate the bejabbers out of you! First thing to do is make sure both locos run well on DC. DC doesn't fix mechanical or electrical issues already present. If they run normally on DC, plug the decoder back in, and try again. You really shouldn't have to change anything on these for normal basic running. In some 25 years of decoder installs I haven't had to. Toot is correct about the orientation on the 8 pin plug. For the DH 126D did you remove the 8 pin dummy plug from the Athearn board? All dummy plugs have to be removed on the Athearn board or you might let the smoke out of the decoder!
[
As far as the NCE P2KSR is concerned it seems you may have it reversed. Here is a pic of that decoder showing Pin1 indicated with a small arrowhead. That must go into the Pin 1 socket on the loco's board. Also there is usually another adapter plug that goes between board and decoder. They sometimes don't get supplied with either engine or decoder.
View attachment 45740
I thought I may have had the wires mixed up too, but according to the illustration in the instruction sheet that came with it, I believe it is correct. The way I understand the instructions that came with the decoder, is that the illustrations are for the lighting for the locomotive, but also include the wiring for the other features such as motion. So anyway, I took a jewelers loupe and examined the wires going into the plug, and I do not have any touching any other circuits. To address the issue of having it reversed, Pin 1 has that arrow on it, and I noticed on the plug, it also has an arrow on it. (when i say plug, its the small board that the wires attached to it with the little plastic boots. That board then plugs into the decoder.)
Then, yes, both locos previously ran on DC.
The Athearn does have the dummy plug removed.
Skyliner...just what I said, it does nothing, no buzz, no lights, no nothing. When I was programing it, my cab made it look like it was sending the message to the decoder. But when the moment of truth came, the locomotive did absolutely nothing!
I called MRC, and they said I should do a reset to the decoder, but their instructions to do this are vague, at least to me. When I was talking to the guy, he offered to walk me through the process, but I was on break at work and couldn't do it. I may try after work tomorrow.

Back