I got some pastels

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
So now I can make an even bigger mess! :p
They were $5.99 at Hobby Lobby, but I used one of their 40% off coupons and got them for $3.49, so even if I don't like them, I'm not out much. They are not oil based, as the consensus seems to be that oil based pastels don't work very well for model railroad weathering. HL had larger sets, but most of the colors were those I'd rarely if ever use, so I bought a smaller set that had colors I actually need. I also bought some small plastic jars to hold the powders. I'll probably just scrape the side of the stick with an Exacto blade to create the powder.
Another learning curve lies ahead of me!
I've also read that instead of using Dullcote, lightly mist the car form several feet away with inexpensive hairspray to fix the powder. Make sure the hairspray you use does not have oils in it. Two brands I saw recommended were White Rain and Final Net. People say the hairspray will not wash out the colors of the powders nearly as much as Dullcote or a clear coat spray will. I'll have to give this a try.
001.JPG

So now I can make an even bigger mess! :p
They were $5.99 at Hobby Lobby, but I used one of their 40% off coupons and got them for $3.49, so even if I don't like them, I'm not out much. They are not oil based, as the consensus seems to be that oil based pastels don't work very well for model railroad weathering. HL had larger sets, but most of the colors were those I'd rarely if ever use, so I bought a smaller set that had colors I actually need. I also bought some small plastic jars to hold the powders. I'll probably just scrape the side of the stick with an Exacto blade to create the powder.
Another learning curve lies ahead of me!
I've also read that instead of using Dullcote, lightly mist the car form several feet away with inexpensive hairspray to fix the powder. Make sure the hairspray you use does not have oils in it. Two brands I saw recommended were White Rain and Final Net. People say the hairspray will not wash out the colors of the powders nearly as much as Dullcote or a clear coat spray will. I'll have to give this a try.View attachment 30188
The Final Net hairspray? Is this the brand that is produced by Idelle Labs Ltd (a division of Helen of Troy) El Paso.? At the bottom of a gold can under the barcode. Can also be used as a flamethrower :p

Back