Summer Layoff?

N

NP2626

I live where 1/2 the year can be cold and so most of my modeling happens during this time. I would think that this is how many of us operate. There will always be people who are involved 24/7/52 and I am happy for you; however, when it's warm out, I want to participate in outdoor activities. Since a poll on this question would only have relevance to the 10- 20 people who may participate, I just wanted to ask a non-scientific question on who sets the hobby aside during the summer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a bit like you as when warm weather comes after out long winters, I have a lot of other things to do besides working on trains, but if the weather really gets hot, going down to the train room in the basement is a good way to get out of the heat and run trains.

Like Chet, when it's hot and humid you'll find me working on the layout if I'm not at our cabin. Like today with storms and rain I'll be doing some work in the layout room most likely assembling my Micro-Mark elevated work platform.

Going to a train show in Waupaca, Wisconsin next Saturday. A small show but usually find some bargains or items I want to add to the layout.

Thanks.

Greg

I get wrapped up in outdoor activities during the warmer months. Yard maintenance, vehicle and motorcycle maintenance and motorcycle trips are the bulk of it.
The work on my bridge has stalled out a couple weeks ago and just occasional but short train ops is the most that I do downstairs. I might do some quick repairs as needed if it's simple or if the problem shuts down the empire.

While I am basically a 7/52 modeler, my train activity ramps up in the summer here. When temperatures are 93°+ for weeks at a time, I'm in the A/C in the train shed. Pretty much the same in winter when the outdoor temperature is below 45°, I'm indoors, (not too often though). I set things partially aside during the spring and fall which is primary gardening and yard maintenance season, which takes time here on the farm.

Willie

I actually do more in the summer. On moderate days I take the paint booth and air brush out back and do my painting. Can't do that indoors for a multitude of reasons. So I assemble more structures, build bench work and back drops, anything requiring painting. I run more trains during the colder months.

Those of you who model year round, could you give your locations?

Put me down for year round too, although not as hard core in the summer months.
Living in Manitoba we swing from -45c in winter to +45c in summer and the layout is climate controlled in a walkout basement. ( I'll let you figure out the Fahrenheit conversion)

All you need is to look on the right hand side of the avatar under the date joined.

Ontario Canada

Unfortunately, not everyone fills that out. I think it should be a required field, myself.
As for me, when it gets really hot and out, the basement is where I'll be.
I'm a heat wimp.

All you need is to look on the right hand side of the avatar under the date joined.

Ontario Canada

Hawkesburytrain, Look at WJLI26, just above your post. His location is not given. Like Flyboy2610 stated, not everyone fills out their location.

I do have one question. Does running trains during the summer count ????? Like flyboy, if it really gets hot, the train room is a great place to cool off.

Hawkesburytrain, Look at WJLI26, just above your post. His location is not given. Like Flyboy2610 stated, not everyone fills out their location.

Mark: Until you asked for location, I didn't even notice my location wasn't displayed any longer :confused:

I run trains all year, although in the summer, I mostly run short passenger trains with a Jersey Shore theme (CNJ), as opposed to my normal adherence to my interests. I don't do as much switching. So while my participation remains, my focus changes.

I wish I had more time for trains in the summer! Starting in late February little league baseball consumes a good portion of my free time through late June.

I also have a big crab feast/cook out party on the 4th of July. That takes a lot of time with preparation and procurement of supplies. By the way everybody is welcome if you are in Baltimore. Every year there are 10-20 more people I don't even know show up, but hey it's America's birthday so everybody in America is welcome! It's also my way of celebrating my late sister's life, she was born on the 4th of July.

In addition to those things my grandsons are off from school. As much as I wish they would enjoy the trains, they get bored quickly with my rudimentary layouts.

For the first time in over 10 years I am back to work, thank God! It's only 20-30 hours a week but that still eats up time.

I do how ever have special 4th of July trains In both O and a few HO trains that I have setup to run. Everybody likes to look at them but only my God Daughter really enjoys running them.

Thanks Mark for another interesting thread!

I guess it depends on what one considers "modeling". I would say that I do less actual working on models,but all the historical society conventions are in the Summer (Santa Fe next week in Tulsa, D&RGW Aug 27-30 here in Denver, NP Sept 13-16 in Duluth, etc.). Then it is hard to pass up all the operating steamers like the 611 running down in Virginia over Memorial Day (Which despite months of planning, due to circumstances beyond my control I missed) and the UP 844 left Cheyenne headed east Sunday. The Kansas State fair has a "railroad track" photography category this year I've got to get some stuff ready for. Then the museum is open 6 days a week instead of 3 so that accounts for extra activity. So railroad related activities for me actually increase in the Summer, but it is not necessarily precisely "modeling" just fodder and gaining knowlege of stuff to model and techniques how to model.

My posted location is rather a misnomer anyway. Having multiple houses makes it difficult to answer the simple question "where do you live?". Most "living" time is divided between Denver and south central Kansas.

I model more or less year round. I try to do 'something' every day. Either running trains or building/modifying/ changing couplers on cars that are newly acquired. The winter can be brutal cold and summer rediculously hot. 95° heat wave currently. When I can't stand being outside I try to get more done on the layout. I live in South Central PA​. I have central air thankfully so the layout room is always comfortable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back