Freelancing.....

I'm positive that more Alcos will find their on to the Milwaukee & Western's roster....hmmmm....C420's or RS32's or RS36's.....hmmmm...

How would one best design an engine facility, which buildings should one get, that would fit in the steam, transition and diesel era?
Trying to figure something out for my Milwaukee & Western.....
Would modern diesel facilities work old style roundhouses etc., etc..?

That's exactly what I am doing 113. I model in 1957. I chose that period because I have so many fond memories of that period. Diesels and be serviced in a roundhouse. The main thing you would have to do is to add fueling facilities for the diesels. Sand and water would already be there for the steamers. Here are a couple of photos of what I am doing.

IMAG0824.jpg This is an older part of my layout. Behind the Soo Line car is the sand house with the coaling tower to the left of it. To the left of the caoling tower is the fuel tanks for the diesels.

Expansion Pictures 003.jpg

This area is still under construction. The diesel fueling rack is between the Northern Pacific switcher and the steamer. I have not installed the sanding towers yet which will span both service tracks. Behind the tank car is the sand house and the diesel fuel unloading and storage tank is just to the left of it. I really didn't want to get things this crowded, but due to lack of space, I didn't have much choice. The next shot is of course the roundhouse and turn table. My layout is point to point so power must be turned at each end.

IMAG0301.jpg

Don't forget, you are freelancing so just about anything goes. All you need are services for both steam and diesel.

That's exactly what I am doing 113. I model in 1957. I chose that period because I have so many fond memories of that period. Diesels and be serviced in a roundhouse. The main thing you would have to do is to add fueling facilities for the diesels. Sand and water would already be there for the steamers. Here are a couple of photos of what I am doing.

View attachment 53238 This is an older part of my layout. Behind the Soo Line car is the sand house with the coaling tower to the left of it. To the left of the caoling tower is the fuel tanks for the diesels.

View attachment 53239

This area is still under construction. The diesel fueling rack is between the Northern Pacific switcher and the steamer. I have not installed the sanding towers yet which will span both service tracks. Behind the tank car is the sand house and the diesel fuel unloading and storage tank is just to the left of it. I really didn't want to get things this crowded, but due to lack of space, I didn't have much choice. The next shot is of course the roundhouse and turn table. My layout is point to point so power must be turned at each end.

View attachment 53240

Don't forget, you are freelancing so just about anything goes. All you need are services for both steam and diesel.

MOST excellent scenery!

Another reason for me to be a 'transition era' guy! Any excuse to get more 'stuff' is GOOD enough!

Hmmmm.....found some of the Details West Nathan N5's, Now I'm trying to figure out where to put them, on the RS-3's, -4/5's, to save the crew from headaches and bleeding ears...
I'll be removing the original horns from the locomotives...
I'm thinking somewhere on the long hood....
Suggestions?

Details West AH-187 Nathan M5 Air Horn.jpg

From an engineering standpoint IRL, you can really place the horn just about anywhere you want to. It doesn't really invade the hood and is just bolted on the outside, so any place that doesn't have something bolted directly to the underside of the long hood roof would work. Most railroads when relocating EMD horns placed them just in front of the radiator fans, sometimes in the center and sometimes offset to one side. Just off the top of my head, it seems like the offset ones were usually on GP's with dynamic brakes, and maybe had to be done that way so that the air line could avoid the DB equipment. A lot of the SD's and non-DB GP's just have the horn centered in front of the radiator fans since there's more room in those units. If you want to get extremely accurate to the prototype, you might also need to think about how the air line would be run inside the hood as well. Or, for that matter, even outside the hood. CN did exactly that on at least some of their units, running air lines from the cab outside the roof and back to the new horn location, sitting right out in the open on the top of the long hood. If you feel like messing with that kind of detail it would even be an interesting little thing to do.

In the end, of course, the whole purpose is, as you said, to get the horn as far away from the cab as it can practically be, so just approach it that way and go from there.

EDIT: You posted your pic as I was posting this reply, but I think that location would be ideal. I don't know the inner working of the RS's, but IF it wouldn't be precluded by something being in the way, I would even say to install it between the stack and whatever those details are that are sticking up. If you install the horn in the center like that, the stack would even act as a noise baffle (albeit a very small one) that would help reduce cab noise at least a tiny bit more than just relocating the horn in a place where the sound waves still had a straight shot back to the cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you see here, I put the horns where they would keep the crew from falling asleep.

0020.jpg

I have a real one out in my shop I got from the shop supervisor at the BN shop in Livingston, MT years ago. It does work and it is LOUD. Tested it once and after reading lips for about 20 minutes, I decided not to test it again in an inclosed space.

I looked through a few hundred pics, and other than placing it on top of the cab as you did (or at least using a modified bracket to raise it above the roofline while still on the cab end), I can't find any prototypes that significantly relocated the horns on the RS-3/4. I did find one helluva interesting RS-3 rebuild, though, that did have the horns relocated to the rear of the DB housing and you NEED to go buy it from MKT ASAP :D

http://www.carrtracks.com/tx1mkt03.htm

As you see here, I put the horns where they would keep the crew from falling asleep.

View attachment 54112

I have a real one out in my shop I got from the shop supervisor at the BN shop in Livingston, MT years ago. It does work and it is LOUD. Tested it once and after reading lips for about 20 minutes, I decided not to test it again in an inclosed space.

CHET I know that you have posted that photo before .. but I never tire of looking at it. Just don't ever get a wild hair and decide to repaint your stable.

View attachment 54112

....lmao..
Always enjoy your pics mate, keep them coming!

Ain't going to nay repainting. No way. Besides liking the way they came out, I don't know if I would want to start a custom painting now. The old eyeballs aren't as good as they used to be. Old.gif

I will say this, in the prototypical world, there doesn't seem to be any "rule", but in the modelling world, wherever it doesn't catch your sleeve.

Back