Change Bachmann FT-A body to GP?

Dacostasr

HO Operator
I want to change the body of the FT-A that came with the digital commander set to something like a GP or SD or a switcher of some kind. I've been searching all day for some info but can't find info on a body that might be close to a drop on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

I want to change the body of the FT-A that came with the digital commander set to something like a GP or SD or a switcher of some kind. I've been searching all day for some info but can't find info on a body that might be close to a drop on.
There is no info on that because it is basically impossible. The frame of the FT is die cast, solid, and as wide the body. Since GP units are very narrow there is no physical way to fit a GP hood over the guts of the FT. It would require major reworking of the frame and the result would not be satisfying because one would have to cut away all the weight that allows it to pull well.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/11702.pdf

If you really just want a GP of any type, TrainWorld has a DCC equipped GP35 for $59.99.
http://www.trainworld.com/manufactu.../conrail-gp35-diesel-2269-dcc-equipped-60702/

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally the chassis on an F unit is much wider than the chassis of a GP/SD. This gives the F units better pulling since the wider chassis equals more metal which means more weight. But it also means a GP shell won't fit. On a real F unit the walkways to service the engine are inside the body, on a GP they are on the outside.......that obviously makes quite a width difference on the body. You MIGHT be able to modify your FT to make something fit, but it would be a lot of work. In the end, you'd be better off watching for a GP at a train show /ebay/ect.

Thanks! I'll be checking out the local shows and evil bay. I knew if I asked here I would find out...

Thanks again

Dennis

This doesn't really answer your question, because, as others have posted, it is an impracticable task. Why not do what the real railroads did with their FT's. They traded them in for partial credit toward GP's and SD's. (Obviously, a hobby shop won't do that, but you might try selling the FT's at a swap meet. :)

Back