Ads be gone!

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi Guys,

Remember when I was "complaining" about the ads etc on here? No, well that's okay because I have found a way (a program actually) that removes all ads from (so far) every where including here. No ads, banners, pop ups nothing.

The program came to me as a result of my using Auslogic Software for computer optimization etc and is called Adguard (who'd have thought).

I am not trying to sell the program or push it on anyone, only to let people know (who also get tired of ads, banners etc) that something can be done about them.

Another for the list :)

Have to say, since installing what I have, everything here opens much MUCH faster and have not (as yet) had any "technical problems". Wish I had have done this a lot sooner.

Some of the newspaper stories online load up with so many ads they never operate smoothly as a result. They have so many little video clips running and ads with animation bits that they keep refreshing the screen in the middle of where you're reading and pop back up to the top of the story. When you try to use the 'grab-bar' on the right to scroll down it isn't smooth - it's very hesitating and thunky. So I just leave and go someplace else. It reminds me of the Esop tale of the greedy boy that has his hand stuck in the jar of nuts because he trys to grab too much.

Mike,

I hardly think the forums are benefiting by having a banner flash up at the top of the pages "advertising single women in Asia". Just as I would find it very difficult to believe that the Forum Management would pay someone for such advertising.

Since having the means to stop that sort of unsolicited advertising, the pages of the forums open faster and I have not had any issues with being able to access any of the pages within the forums.

I used to be really annoyed by all the ads on forums, so many of them that the page would never really finish loading. As I would be reading a post, another ad would load, and the post I was reading would go somewhere else, and I'd have to go on an easter egg hunt to find it again. I got an ad blocker, set to block most ads, which sounds good in theory. You still see some ads, but not to the annoying level of interfering with using the forum. Unfortunately, the remaining ads were the most annoying and most irrelevant ones. It would, for example, block the ad for a custom layout building service, but allow through a pop-up wanting me to browse single women.
Also, for those that seem to not know this, the ads are still there, just blocked, and the company paying for the ad doesn't know if you saw the ad, and are ignoring it, or have it blocked.

I'm going out on a limb here BUT, the program I have is available for both Windows and Apple/Mac so I can only assume that it would work with an iPad. Don't hold me to that though, okay

I'm going out on a limb here BUT, the program I have is available for both Windows and Apple/Mac so I can only assume that it would work with an iPad. Don't hold me to that though, okay

I just checked, and it is not available through the Apple App store. So, unless you jailbreak your Apple device, the answer is "no".

OK, thanks, Terry and all.
I'm not very good at "geek". I was rrying to read the form on the site, and it appeared that they have a test version.
I didn't know if I should try and download it?

Terry,

That is something I don't understand, if something is Apple/Mac compatible, why can't it be used on ALL Apple/Macs whether they are a Computer or an IPad or any other Apple product if it comes to that. Confusing!

Mike,

I hardly think the forums are benefiting by having a banner flash up at the top of the pages "advertising single women in Asia". Just as I would find it very difficult to believe that the Forum Management would pay someone for such advertising.

Since having the means to stop that sort of unsolicited advertising, the pages of the forums open faster and I have not had any issues with being able to access any of the pages within the forums.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Whomever the administrator of this webpage is does not pay for the ads. It's a Google ad service and every time an ad on this site gets a hit the administrator gets paid for it. Ads help this forum make money. Obviously you're more than welcome to block them but it is a source of revenue for the webpage is all I'm saying. It's hard to keep websites up when you have to pay for it out of your pocket.

Terry,

That is something I don't understand, if something is Apple/Mac compatible, why can't it be used on ALL Apple/Macs whether they are a Computer or an IPad or any other Apple product if it comes to that. Confusing!

Apple computers (at least within the last 10 years or more) use OSX operating system. Apple tablets and phones, etc, use IOS operating system. They are two completely different systems. I could get really technical, but that is the basic difference.

Mike,

So it doesn't matter if anyone allows them, just so long as they show up as being "seen" on the website.

Terry,

Nope, that was technical enough for me - cheers!

The key is: ya have to go to the add web site for this forum to benefit. What would really be beneficial is if a app could be designed so that we could create a second account for this site then the app would just automatically visit those sites over and over again. This forum would reap the big bucks and we wouldn't have to visit the web sites.
Now, on another facet of pop-up adds. The design is for the pop-up function to go to your cache and pull the address of web sites you have visited or products you have searched for then drops those prepared invites to the pop-up window. So when you say you are getting pop-ups for single women web sites, new tires for your car or barBque receipes, its only reflecting were your computer has been.
Moral of this issue: be responsible in your web searching.

The key is: ya have to go to the add web site for this forum to benefit. What would really be beneficial is if a app could be designed so that we could create a second account for this site then the app would just automatically visit those sites over and over again. This forum would reap the big bucks and we wouldn't have to visit the web sites.
Now, on another facet of pop-up adds. The design is for the pop-up function to go to your cache and pull the address of web sites you have visited or products you have searched for then drops those prepared invites to the pop-up window. So when you say you are getting pop-ups for single women web sites, new tires for your car or barBque receipes, its only reflecting were your computer has been.
Moral of this issue: be responsible in your web searching.

My wife gets popup ads for single women and golf accessories on her computer. I seriously doubt she goes to those places, I never use her computer, and I don't think she lugs her desktop computer out to the local internet cafe to loan out.

My wife gets popup ads for single women and golf accessories on her computer. I seriously doubt she goes to those places, I never use her computer, and I don't think she lugs her desktop computer out to the local internet cafe to loan out.

Don't take it that I'm accusing anybody of anything. I'm just sayin how the pop-up thing typically works. It doesn't matter if ya actually read the web sight or accidently click on it for a second, your cache records it and the pop-up uses it.
You can eliminate a lot of the problems by deleting your cache and history on occasion or set up your machine to dump each time you log off.

Don't take it that I'm accusing anybody of anything. I'm just sayin how the pop-up thing typically works. It doesn't matter if ya actually read the web sight or accidently click on it for a second, your cache records it and the pop-up uses it.
You can eliminate a lot of the problems by deleting your cache and history on occasion or set up your machine to dump each time you log off.
We have DSL here with a dynamic IP address. My thought on it is, one of the computers previously assigned to the IP address we get those from could very well have surfed those places. In fact, our IP address will probably change at midnight tonight, and we will both get a fresh round of pop-ups from other places. At least, I hope we will. I'm getting tired of the ads for LED lighting and adult diapers.

Back