Davetown Bank

DaveInTheHat

I made a corner lot next to the speed shop for the bank. What I have in mind is a building made with large stone blocks and some fancy trim along the roof line. Maybe some sort of columns on the front. I'll see what happens as it comes together.
100_9996-vi.jpg

A highly technical mock up made from paper. I used this to get a visual on the overall size and shape.
100_9997-vi.jpg

I'm using high density polyurethane foam.
100_9998-vi.jpg

I cut a couple of strips the right height. Then cut a rabbet on all the strips so I can drop the roof in. Then I cut all the lengths and mitered the corners.
101_0001-vi.jpg

So, here's the pieces sitting together.
101_0002-vi.jpg

101_0004-vi.jpg

The front door is going to be recessed behind an arch and I'm going to put arched windows on the street sides. The back will have a couple small windows and an entrance from the parking lot.
After I cut the windows and doors out I'm going to try doing some stuff with duct tape and bead blasting. I have no idea if its going to work or not.
I cut some strips for the cornice and whatever ideas I come up with the trim.
100_0007-vi.jpg

Figured out the windows.
100_0008-vi.jpg

I used a 3/4" spade bit to drill out the round window over the entrance. I took my time measuring and getting the windows in the right place.
100_0009-vi.jpg

I got the all the openings cut out. I had a couple of slips with my Dremel tool. I'll have to patch them up with some Spackle. Its starting to look like something now.
100_0010-vi.jpg

100_0011-vi.jpg

I covered all the walls with Duct Tape. I tried cutting some blocks out by measuring them. That didn't work. Too much measuring and stuff. The Duct Tape that I had didn't work ether. The glue would separate from the tape when I cut it. I looked at the roll and noticed that it had a date printed on the inside. 1994. Duh! So, I got a new roll of duct tape and started over again.
100_0014-vi.jpg

This plan worked good. I drew the block pattern out in Adobe Illustrator and printed it out. Then I spray glued the back of the paper and stuck on the Duct Tape.
100_0015-vi.jpg

I cut out the blocks and pulled the Duct Tape off from in between them.
100_0019-vi.jpg

I covered all the edges and the back side with tape. Then bead blasted the face of the walls. I used course glass beads at around 80 psi. When the paper was gone it seemed to be blasted deep enough. I used that as a guide.
100_0020-vi.jpg

Here's a close up of what it looks like. Only a few pieces of tape blew off. I think I can fix any boo-boos with some Spackle.
100_0021-vi.jpg

This is how it looks with the tape removed.
100_0022-vi.jpg

I think it might take a while to pick off off the tape. This foam is about the same density as bass wood, so any kind of tool will leave a mark. Fingernail seems to work ok. Just sort of lift the edge and roll the tape off.

I've haven't done this type of scratch build before, so I'm pretty much guess at how to do it. I think I made extra work for myself by cutting the windows and doors first. Having the empty spaces made cutting the blocks more difficult. Some of the blocks along the edge of the openings were really tiny and didn't have enough adhesive to stay on. Another thing I think I should have mitered the corners after I bead blasted too. Some of the thin edge might have gotten rounded over. I'm not too worried about that. I can ether patch it or cover it with a corner molding.
I put a fresh piece of Duct Tape over the blasted parts and it pulled most of the little squares off. That was easy!
100_0023-vi.jpg

100_0024-vi.jpg

I did a glue test.
100_0025-vi.jpg

None of the liquid glues worked. Epoxy totally failed. That surprised me. Elmers, Testors Tube, Tite Bond all worked pretty good. Aleene's Tacky Glue seems to be the strongest.
Now I'm going to patch a few of the bad spots. Mostly around the windows and along the edges where the walls fit together.
I did most of the patching while the walls were still apart. This pink Spackle is pretty cool. It turns white when it drys.
100_0028-vi.jpg

I set up my "hi-tech" building fixture.
100_0029-vi.jpg

I glued the walls together in sections. Then glued the sections together.
100_0030-vi.jpg

100_0031-vi.jpg

100_0032-vi.jpg

100_0033-vi.jpg

Now that all the walls are together I think it might actually work. Next step is to patch some of the corners.
I got the trim finished and all the mistakes covered up.
100_0036-vi.jpg

Adding sills under the windows.
100_0038-vi.jpg

All the boo-boos and mismatched seams are fixed and now the bank is now in gray primer.
100_0058-vi.jpg

I used a slice of a file folder to figure out the pitch of the roof. I just kept cutting it down until it looked the way I wanted.
100_0059-vi.jpg

I can't remember the names of all the roof parts and different styles of them. (not real sure if I ever knew). I wasn't sure what to do with the ends so I decided to angle them.
100_0061-vi.jpg

File folder stuff again. The area around the tower part took some figuring out to make a pattern. I cut little pieces and taped them together. Seemed to work ok.
100_0064-vi.jpg

This is sorta what it's going to look like.
100_0072-vi.jpg

The roof took a while to fine tune and get it to fit right. I use a file folder to cover all the seams.
100_0079-vi.jpg

I air brushed the roof with Folk Art craft paint. I went for a weird sort of burgundy color. I'll paint the blocks by hand with a brush.
100_0084-vi.jpg

Nice tutorial, Dave. And a nice-looking structure.

I'm looking forward to further updates.

- Jeff

Wow! That's some incredible work there!

One small suggestion I tought of while looking at the early photos. That would make a great church if you were to put a higher roof and steeple on it. Some stained glass in those windows and it would really look phenominal.

Excellent work! The texture of that foam looks like it would make for a good "stucco" base as well.

You make it look easy. But we know better. I could never duplicate your talent. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished bank.

LOOKS GREAT ALOT OF WORK it SHOWS.........interesting how you used leggos to keep walls square during gluing process

I primed over the over-spray from painting the roof.

100_0085-vi.jpg

It took 3 light coats of Folk Art antique white to cover the primer.

100_0088-vi.jpg

I use Adobe Illustrator to draw out the front door and printed it out on an index card.

100_0086-vi.jpg

It will be set back in the doorway. I think it might look ok. If it doesn't work I'll figure something else out.

100_0087-vi.jpg

The widows and door are all painted. Now I'm ready to start putting things together.

100_0090-vi.jpg

The rest of the pictures are here: http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/davetown/davetown-bank/

Its looking good. I think the printed door will look fine. If it doesn't work, you can always get clear transparency film that you can print on and try again printing on clear. Or you could modify one of the plastic arched windows.

I love how you did the bricks... never would've thought of that. Nice work!

I got the windows in. I used Scotch Tape for the "glass". After I got the tape in I sprayed it with clear gloss. Worked out nice.

100_0093-vi.jpg

I'm not sure about adding more colors or weathering yet.
Next I have to cobble together an ATM machine and a drive-thru.

Hey Dave,

It's looking great as I would expect from you. I got a question about the way you made th etexture sides. YOu said you used course glass beads but what did you use? If it was a hobby ereaser were did you get the glass beads to fit in that spay gun.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I used the bead blaster where I work. The glass beads are made by Ballotini. I think they're probably too big for an air eraser. I didn't blast the face of the blocks, just the space between them. An air eraser would cut the foam the same way, it would just take a little longer. I would have preferred to us an air eraser because I would have had a lot more control. I don't have one.

Those blocks really look good as is if you didn't etch them at all. What material was used for the walls? Did you use insulation board from a hardware store?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Dave

Back