Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. O

    Automobile manufacturer layout

    The May and June 1997 Model Railroader's have an excellent two part article on modeling the auto industry (pre-WWII and post WII). An older auto plant would have a variety of buildings representing many expansions. Modern plants might be more 'boring' structures, but the same can be said of...
  2. O

    My First Weathering Projects

    This is actually project #3. First one was a hopper that didn't go so hot-did quite get the hang of drybrushing and the model did, in fact, get too weathered. Next one was a second hopper that actually turned out really nice but its black so doesn't turn out very well in a pic. Thanks for the...
  3. O

    My First Weathering Projects

    Just finished an accurail boxcar. Here's what is started as: And once I was done: I started off with a light airbrushing of grimy black followed by some rust colored chalk, a spray of dullcoat, some dirt chalk around the bottum, and then another coat of dullcoat. For the...
  4. O

    Coupler Compatability?

    Thanks, figured as much, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.
  5. O

    Coupler Compatability?

    I just finished an accurail boxcar kit. The couplers that came with it were in three pieces, two main pieces and the 'hose'. I have an IHC engine with kadee couplers and two Walthers trainline hoppers with what I assume are kadee couplers. The engine and hoppers couple fine but the accurail...
  6. O

    My yard is finished, what to do ??

    There are some good books on this subject you might want to look into. About yards specifically there is: http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12248.html And for Operation in General: http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12231.html There are many others too. I'm not quite sure how broad your...
  7. O

    Best Plywood to Use for Layout Construction

    I did a search and couldn't find a thread specifically on this. What is the best plywood to use for a layout? Keep in mind I will be using a subroadbed too, either homasote or foam, haven't decided yet. I've read how some people insist on using birch, but that stuff is about $60 a sheet...
  8. O

    Carbon Black Covered Hoppers

    Here is a picture of the plant as it appeared in 1944. It is hard to tell but it appears there are no silos in 1944 where they are today (this would be just below the bottum line of text, "the CNW to switch the factory". As I said though the plant went through a lot of changes between the...
  9. O

    Carbon Black Covered Hoppers

    The plant is in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. It was originally built in 1917 or 1919, can't remember. Sorry for the low quality photos, I'm hoping to get a new camera for christmas, but for now my cell phone will have to do. Here's a good view of the plant from the west side: And a view of...
  10. O

    Carbon Black Covered Hoppers

    Thanks for the info guys. Here is a picture of what the carbon black unloading facilities at the plant I'm going to model looked like as of the early 90's (when the plant closed). The tracks are still there with metal cover plates between them covering up the unloading mechanism. I...
  11. O

    Carbon Black Covered Hoppers

    I'm going to be modeling a 1950 tire plant that recieved shipments of carbon black in covered hoppers. I've found a few pictures online and it seems these shipments came in black hoppers lettered for the manufacturer. My question is was carbon black ever shipped in regular (home road) covered...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top