Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. T

    Choosing historically accurate rolling stock to match a locomotive

    In our area though the 1970's, you could frequently find the caboose of a connecting railroad at the end of the another company's train. While not a common practice, sometimes a company's own caboose may not be available or the caboose needed to be returned to another yard so off it went. I...
  2. T

    Choosing historically accurate rolling stock to match a locomotive

    Not sure how much detail or searching you want to do but an RER (Railroad Equipment Register) for your time frame would list every car every railroad had at that time and also includes a handy list of interchanges points. The interchange gives you an idea of what neighbor roads shared...
  3. T

    Locomotive duties

    "Drag" trains come in many varieties although minerals seem to be most common. Grain would certainly work as would a heavy manifest. Intermodals are generally overpowered per ton in order for them to maintain a faster schedule. The real benefit of AC is that you do not have to worry about the...
  4. T

    Online shopping

    Thank you, Jim. I have heard others say that this is an excellent system. So I'll be extra good (that is my family laughing) and maybe Santa will bring me my very own Digitrax. My next question, why only one DC engine? I have a lot of track to patrol and was hoping to gradually change to DCC...
  5. T

    Online shopping

    I guess the DCC decision for me is a combination money and time consideration. I have a growing business to watch (so if I do that right the money side of things should take care of itself) but the time issue... My son right now is my shop force. He likes to remind me that without my glasses I...
  6. T

    Online shopping

    Sorry about that. I have only heard the phrase in regard to has DCC in it or does not. Did not think about the excitement of having to soldering wires. I thought the original question was about "Does this thing already have DCC in it and I can start programming an address or do I have to do...
  7. T

    Online shopping

    DCC Ready means that the engine is capable of accepting a DCC chip whereas DCC equipped means all the heavy lifting has been done for you. You should see a difference in cost for a DCC ready (cheaper) than DCC Equipped. This reflects the cost of the DCC chip being added to the cost of the...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top