Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    Model Railroaders Helping Underprivileged Kids

    I have one brand new Spectrum and possibly another, and finally an older Spectrum, all steam locomotives, that I am willing to give to underprivileged kids. The older one definitely needs minor repair to make it operational. Is there a model railroad benevolent organization that works with...
  2. S

    Displaying Locomotives

    Selector & Trucula, Thanks so much for extremely helpful advice. Is there a better way of displaying locomotives than on E-Z Track in a curio cabinet? If you guys were going to display locomotives, how would you do it? My curio cabinet is oak, with sliding glass doors, about 3.5' x 1.25' x...
  3. S

    Railroad Lines

    UP2CSX, As I delve more deeply into this hobby I find that I give myself fits trying to become prototypical. I think I need to take a step back and follow your lead. If I focus on having fun I'll be more apt to enjoy model railroading. Should I really give myself a stroke trying to get the...
  4. S

    Railroad Lines

    How many lines do you guys run? I have two: ATSF & Union Pacific. I chose them because I live a stone's throw from Cajon Pass, and BNSF & UP are the two lines using the three sets of tracks there. In fact, I have been seeing lots of UP consists, the most frequent was today, that have rolling...
  5. S

    California Dreamin'

    el3637, Your three Western Pacific locomotives make a handsome set. Are the two "B" units powered? It would be too tempting should Genesis make another run of these locomotives. Happy railroading, Tom
  6. S

    Displaying Locomotives

    I just bought a curio cabinet. I placed my locomotives upon E-Z Track inside of it. Will displaying my locomotives upon track cause them any harm? Thanks so much, Tom
  7. S

    Competition Steaming Up

    Genesis wins!
  8. S

    Minimum Radii

    Crandell and Jim, Thanks for affirming what I have been thinking. Bigger radii seem to be more functional. HO model railroading has been a most educational process for me. A few months ago I would have never imagined the complexities of this wonderful hobby. Then I was under the naive...
  9. S

    Minimum Radii

    I have a Blueline ATSF 4-8-4. According to BLI specs, this locomotive will operate on minimum 18" radius. I tried it on such small radius, and while it will run it does not do so efficiently. I just received a new Genesis UP FEF 4-8-4. Athearn's specs indicate a minimum 22" radius for this...
  10. S

    Competition Steaming Up

    UP2CSX, Yeah, I gotta agree with you. Keeping in mind that to date that I've only been able to compare F-7's, head-to-head I am partial to Genesis. My Blueline UP F-7A & F-7B are of good quality, it seems that Genesis pull better, run more smoothly, and look better. However, Genesis does not...
  11. S

    Comparing F-7's

    Well, now I have something to which I can directly compare my Genesis F-7 locomotives. I have Blueline's EMD F-7A & F-7B, both of which are powered. I wanted to silence sound from the "B" unit. After I so programmed her using my DC Master, the damned thing up and died on me. Not even a peep...
  12. S

    Competition Steaming Up

    Thanks a lot. I did have opportunity to put my new Blueline EMD F-7 on the track yesterday. I tried to turn off sounds to the "B" unit, and it stopped working altogether. The "A" unit works perfectly. I'd have to opine that my Genesis F-7 locomotives are superior to the Blueline model. At...
  13. S

    Competition Steaming Up

    And what do the letters "FEF" mean in this locomotive's title? Thanks, Tom
  14. S

    Competition Steaming Up

    How does Genesis steam stack up against BLI steam? I have a Blueline Northern that I really enjoy. As of now it is the only steam locomotive of quality that I own. I just bought a Genesis 4-8-4 UP DCC coal fired. I should receive it in about a week. How will the Genesis compare with the Blueline...
  15. S

    Engine Roster Thread

    Pretty cool thread. But I'm curious: do you professional model railroaders have favorite locomotives that are most frequently on your layouts? As for me, I really enjoy my F-7's, but it's still steam that I most often like to see pulling freight on my tracks. Happy railroading, Tom
  16. S

    Serendipitous

    There's a kid who comes by my classroom, initially to visit another student. This kid is not one of my students. She's extremely polite and well-mannered. She has repeatedly offered to help with classroom chores. I took a liking to her charming personality. I did in fact indulge her offer to...
  17. S

    Marklin Passenger Cars

    UP2CSX, By the way, UP had a crew doing track work on 138 west of the I-15. I thought that what I saw might have been some sort of living quarters for the workers. I had never seen such a outfit like it. How does RR track work? Does one railroad, say UP, own the track and is charges other...
  18. S

    Marklin Passenger Cars

    UP2CSX, Thanks again. You hit the nail right on the head. The fact is but for the information I glean from you professional railroaders, I would not have a clue what authentic is. But then again, neither does my six-year-old kid. She just had an absolute blast with her imagination. Seeing the...
  19. S

    rolling stock

    I do like Athearn products, and I am especially fond of Genesis locomotives. I own maybe 30 Athearn & Roundhouse freight cars. My only complaint is with the cars' couplers. I bought Kadee 148 Whisker couplers. When I installed them on about 12 cars last night, I got a close inspection of these...
  20. S

    Marklin Passenger Cars

    UP2CSX, Passenger cars are more for my six-year-old daughter, who owns me, than anyone. She absolutely loved seeing an old cast iron American Flyer Hudson pulling two lighted passenger cars. I suspect that this is what piqued her interest in trains. As much as I hate being separated from my...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top