Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    I did finally get two concentric loops up. The inner with 36 inch radii and the outer with 48 inch. I have the two loops connested and a reverse loop in the inside loop.
  2. H

    Is anyone here on MySpace or Facebook?

    I am on Activebass and belong to a few RR Forums. It sounds like a cool idea but there is only so much time. I certainly will investigate Facebook.
  3. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    UP2CSX Draining the account....you are right. I read where somebody here complained about the high coats of the hobby. A reply was that any hobby for "adults" would be expensive. I guess that's so. It will be important for me to spend my money carefully, slowly, and over time. That is one of the...
  4. H

    track selection

    Check this out Fonzi: http://www.henrykautz.org/Trains/FT4x8-2.jpg
  5. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    I found this track plan. I love it. I don't know how to copy it to the forum, But here is the link: http://www.henrykautz.org/Trains/FT4x8-2.jpg I will have to build part of now, the rest of it later. I have not estimated the cost yet. Adding the buildings, etc - will be a long effort...
  6. H

    Get Good "Deals"

    I am 100% on Ebay and prefer to work with others that are. I buy NIB or as new with manufacturer's warranty. That being said, I like to keep the "mom & pop" stores in business. The only true bargains are somebody's mistake or desperation. Bothers me a little. You get what you pay for generally.
  7. H

    One last track question....

    I certainly appreciate your patience! I got the Fastrack on the recommendations that it is reliable, easy to use, and fits many track plans. I see that its disadvantages are that the road bed is a little wider than most other track, as is the trurning radius, and that it has a appearance...
  8. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    UP2CX - Thanks. I got the Fastrack on a recommendation that it is reliable, easy to use, and fits many track plans. I see that its disadvantages are that the road bed is a little wider than most other track, as is the trurning radius, and that it has a appearance between toy and scale. Would any...
  9. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    What I read was that Lionel measures the turning radius as if holding a string of the appropriate length to the center rail. Thus, the Fastrack 36" radius curves could be scribed in by holding point A of a 36 inch string and scribing an arch the end, point B, which would be the location of the...
  10. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    CP9302 - The set is in O Scale. With a the 36 Fastrack it will do the complete turn in 40 inches. Maybe I was not clear in my explanation.
  11. H

    Need Fastrack layout help!

    Good news. The church across the street has agreed to sell me some 30" X 96" tables for $10 each. I can buy from 1 to 12. Bad news is that currently I am relegated to the use of one 8' X 11' room for a train layout. The most expedient thing to do right now is to join two of these tables into a...
  12. H

    First train set does NOT work! Help!

    Happy to report situation resolved. LHS fixed it. Both they and MTH offered repair or replacement. Can't do much better than that. I am a happy camper.
  13. H

    First train set does NOT work! Help!

    I am going down tomorrow. Rich has made it fairly clear that if the engine can't be fixed easily he will simply replace it with another one. Thanks, nonetheless, for your reassurance.
  14. H

    First train set does NOT work! Help!

    Thanks all. I am contacting MTH and the local dealer, English's hobby shop in Montoursville, PA. I find it somewhat astounding that you can pay around $300 for a brand new train set, unwrap an engine that is carefully styro-foam protected, double wrapped with plastic and ties, cradled in a...
  15. H

    First train set does NOT work! Help!

    Ok, so I bought a MTH Rail King Pennsy RS-3 Diesel Freight Set. The engine sits on the track, makes a small electric hum, and after a few seconds the circuit breaker on the transformer trips and shuts down the controller. The caboose, which accompanies the set, will NOT light when the engine is...
  16. H

    Which would you choose for a starter set?

    Can do. Thanks.
  17. H

    Which would you choose for a starter set?

    I am going to English's (AKA Bowser Mfg) in Montoursville Saturday. I was thinking of picking up a starter set, some extra track, cars, accessories, etc. I want a smaller diesel and a few frieght cars. (I love different authentic looking box cars) Would you go with MTH or Lionel? Also, do...
  18. H

    Yard vs. Loop to save room. Does it work?

    Well, I am the annoying new guy here. I am negotiating with my wife for space for a layout. I am stuck between HO and O27. To save room, and still use the larger size I was thinking about maybe a yard instead of a continuous loop. I was wondering if any of you had insights into this? I...
  19. H

    How Old Were You?

    Now - 58. I am still debating gauge - soon to spend a bit of money. Hope I get it right. Locked in (mental) battle between HO and O-27. My dad used to run some of the American Flyer "S" gauge every year under the Christmas tree. Even then it wasn't very realistic but a lot of fun.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top