Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. P

    The beginning of my trees ... N-Scale

    We received the first of our N-Scale cars yesterday and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality and detail ! I agonized over the choice between HO and N and think I made the right decision. Here are 2 of the cars in front of a tree ... the size relationship seems to be ok :)
  2. P

    The beginning of my trees ... N-Scale

    Results after the first coat of "bark". I used powdered grout that I found at Lowes. I mixed the powder with just enough water to make a sticky paste and then applied it with a small paint brush. The second coat will cover what I missed the first time and will increase the texture as it...
  3. P

    Santa Fe 3500.

    That is sweet looking ! :)
  4. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    Lol's I can see the crash coming now ! I don't know if that unit can read and write CV's or not I'll find out. Great info thank you :)
  5. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    3 at once would be ideal as the Wife and Daughter are really into this too. When I described how DCC works to the Wife and that all 3 of us could run trains at the same time she really liked that. I looked at one called the Empire Builder I think .. that was affordable. By digitraxx ? .. I'll...
  6. P

    The beginning of my trees ... N-Scale

    Hey thanks for the advice ! I am building a layout from scratch and have only ordered a Loco and some cars so far. The tape measure is in inches. If I can make some realistic looking trees then I can tailor them to my set up as I go along. This stuff is fun :)
  7. P

    The beginning of my trees ... N-Scale

    I was playing around with making my own trees and here is the beginning stage of 2 of them. These will be large oak trees for N-Scale when they are finished. I haven't yet decided what to coat them with to make the "bark" before painting but will make a trip to Lowes tomorrow to see what...
  8. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    Thanks a lot for your help ! DCC adds a whole new dimension that I don't want to miss out on. Lot's of research to do ... just adds to the fun :)
  9. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    DCC it is ! Which DCC unit do you recommend ? Here is my proposed bench layout in tape on the floor area I have. Little one is anxious to start running trains lol's.
  10. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    I heard that Pecos's were more reliable switches but didn't know about the difference. DCC is what I want to do I am investigating that now. Looks like quite a learning curve.
  11. P

    Just started my layout

    Lots of N going on around here :D Looking good there ! My bench work starts tomorrow can't wait to get it up :)
  12. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    It looks like the Code 55 has the rails set down into the ties and the Code 80 sits of top ... well something like that :) I'm getting all new but if I have to switch out some wheels that's just more fun on the to do list. My 36" x 4' section is accessible from 3 sides ... I broke my back...
  13. P

    Atlas Track - Code 55 vs Code 80 ??

    After much thought I decided to go with N-Scale. The space I have to work with measures 10' x 7' and after playing around with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood I quickly decided I didn't like one of those. I designed a horse shoe shaped bench 10' feet long with a 30" x 6' leg on one end and a 36" x 4'...
  14. P

    Kingston Tennessee and Coal Wood ....

    My local train/hobby shop had boxes of "coal cars" waiting to be sold. I smiled when I saw them as it really fits this area. They were Bachmann brand ... but I will have to do some research for period correct as we are looking for a 1950'-1960's era setting.
  15. P

    Kingston Tennessee and Coal Wood ....

    View of the Plateau in the distance from downtown Harriman. This is one feature that dominates this area. Other picture is of a fishing buddy of mine with the power plant in the back ground.
  16. P

    Kingston Tennessee and Coal Wood ....

    My Wife and I have decided to make a train set from scratch of the area we live in. She loves to make model buildings and such and we live next to the Kingston Power Plant (coal burner) on the Clinch River here in Tennessee. Just to the north of here is the area where the movie October Sky...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top