Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. C

    Computer room Switching layout

    Where is those pictures LOL!
  2. C

    Starting the new layout!

    Ron, Do you know if there is templates / track work for XTrckCad or any other track layout design tools for the FastTrack products? Carl, From Bethalto, IL
  3. C

    Best choice for turnouts and radius

    So even if you run stock over 50' you would use #4 in a yard?
  4. C

    New UP Dash 9

    That is a beautiful! I am amazed how much of an improvement the mfgrs have made especially Atlas, in quality and workmanship. How does that run on a 22" radius?
  5. C

    Best choice for turnouts and radius

    While planning my new layout, I would like to know what you feel the best selections of turnouts numbers and curve radius for a well balanced smooth running layout. While considering going with hand built turnouts, there is a number of different turnout numbers, #4, #5 #6, etc. If you had the...
  6. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    I have purchased several issues of model railroader magazine, I suppose I should buy a subscription. I had been getting subscriptions about 20 years ago, and unfortunately I threw them all away when I moved from my parents (Sure wish I had kept them). I considered it just to have access to all...
  7. C

    Starting the new layout!

    Oh also how is the Atlas Code 83 stuff treating you? And the turnouts, cross overs? Thanks! Carl, From Bethalto, IL
  8. C

    Starting the new layout!

    If I went this rout I may choose code 83, They have a number of choices for turn out number. What would be recommendations for size of turnouts to use, I know there is a large choice here, but from recollection anything smaller and a #6 is really not to scale of prototype? Same for radius less...
  9. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    If I went with Peco turnouts, they have a spring that keeps the switch points in place. Ground throws would do the same I suppose for Atlas or hand laid. I am trying to determine what is the most cost efficient way of getting the track work done, then at a later date if needed install the switch...
  10. C

    Starting the new layout!

    Ah now you did it, I have been building and repairing digital electronics for years, so this is right up my alley! I am going to think hard about doing this for sure, it look very easy, but as most things looks usually are deceiving. They make it look easy. I guess it would be an investment that...
  11. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    Here are some photos of the area I plan on building in. I posted in a previous email the final room dimensions will be 23' x 13' http://www.itsallbutstraw.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2419
  12. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    I will probably be buying all new rolling stock as I have very little left over from my first layout. I do have some stock from my Athern ready to roll layout I purchased about a month ago, but nothing any older. So Code 83 I suppose will be better.
  13. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    Thanks for all the great input! I seriously doubt if we will be moving in the next 10-15 years, we talked about that last night and I think that is not going to happen. I have the software I just need to figure out what i want, I was hoping to get some ideas from you all. Thanks! Carl...
  14. C

    Starting the new layout!

    It would be interesting to see a video, or photo tutorial on how to use that system, next time you build one take some pictures or better yet a video ;-) Carl, From Bethalto, IL
  15. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    Well believe it or not I did think of that, and we are middle aged, and although we would like to eventually move to the Florida panhandle, I doubt financially we would ever do it. But there is always a chance. A modular design would be prudent for sure, but I am not a real fan of doing that...
  16. C

    Starting the new layout!

    If you had it to do all over again would you still use code 83 and Atlas turnouts? I am getting ready to begin a layout about the same size maybe larger and wanted to get an idea of how you feel things are working out with track selections you made. Looks great, keep sending the pictures and...
  17. C

    Back in the cab again, after 20+ Years

    I am getting back into the hobby again after 20+ years, I want to do it right because I plan on it being a long term project. I have been doing a lot of reading and observations on various topics and have settled on the following: Code 100 Because of cost and dependability PECO Switches and...
  18. C

    Best HO dealers between PCB FL and Illinois

    I am traveling between Panama City Beach Florida, and Alton IL, Close to St Louis, MO and was wondering if any of you could tell me of some great dealers to visit (Interested in HO scale) while on my way. Thank you! Carl




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top