Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Finally some pics with it finished up-stairs under the Christmas tree
  2. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Well the snow is done, I have the layout ready to bring it upstairs tonight. Here are some pictures, not the best lighting with the large florescent light right above the layout in my work area. It will look much better under the tree, it’s hard to capture the twinkle effect with the camera of...
  3. C

    Questions about ceiling shelf layout

    My dad has one 4" from the 8 1/2' ceiling with an o scale tight to the wall and HO on the outside. Ho is about an 1 1/2 center off the edge of the shelf. You can see both trains just fine. Shelf is made out of wood, crown moulding, and misc trim. Ho track is all flex no re-railers I spent many...
  4. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Thanks... I know about the snow they make. I have used it before, I plan to use it on the tracks a little and on the sides of the road as if they were cleared. Here's some pics of another layout I did for my dad back in 2002 covered in snow.
  5. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    2009 Update on my Christmas layout I started working on the layout for under the tree again, I had hoped on finishing it right after Christmas last year but it got put on the back burner and here I am in crunch mode trying to finish it before Thanksgiving. I uncovered it the last weekend of...
  6. C

    Layout design, & track ware program questions

    The plan is in N-scale. My dad prefers to build something HO but given the size of the room he is stuck with and he does not want to fill the room I made it in N-scale to show him whats possible in the smaller size. The bridge will be a hinged lift up, It will be made to look like a real...
  7. C

    Layout design, & track ware program questions

    Thanks everyone for the info. I also could use some pointers for making grades & elevations with the xtrackcad, there’s not much in the help page for it as well as how to use flex track. I got started in xtrackcad and have been learning about it as I go. For the room size I quickly figured out...
  8. C

    Layout design, & track ware program questions

    My father is looking into building a HO layout in my old bedroom in the basement since its empty now. I made a basic diagram of the room in paint, with an outline of around the room bench work in the style that he would like to build. What software would be best for me to work on designing this?
  9. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Its an MRC 1280 I believe, dual throttle dc power pack with a QSI sound function box sticky taped to it.
  10. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Update I finished setting the tree up last night, have to decorate it still.
  11. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    That's my wife's input :D I wanted trains under the tree and she wanted a winter village so we compromised and this is what it came to, I like it because its different. Next year it will look better after its finished.
  12. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Update Well I got the platform up stairs last night in the living room, going to set up the tree tonight. I have some things to work on while its up stairs but its up there and trains will be running tonight. I real quickly last minute painted the water area with a coat of blue laytex paint...
  13. C

    Need tips on kitbashing a BQ23-7 and who custom paints loco's?

    Thanks for replys guys. It certainly is an odd ball looking thing isent it...
  14. C

    Need tips on kitbashing a BQ23-7 and who custom paints loco's?

    Looking for someone to custom paint a loco after its kit bashed, anyone really good at that or that does it for a living or on the side? I do not want to attempt it myself at this time. It will be the Chessie System paint scheme. I plan to kitbash a Atlas gold series undecorated HO B23-7 with...
  15. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Update Update, Saturday night late I painted the nail heads rail brown in prep for laying track on Sunday. Also painted the rails and guard rails for bridge tracks Sat night as well, really happy with the way this all came out so far, I will do paint the rail on the entire layout after all the...
  16. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Update Update, Pebble road glued down, pics with houses, street light, rxr signal placement. This is how it looked Sat night.
  17. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    I wish I had asked about that before I built it, never crossed my mind to spike the rails directly to the bridge. I'll leave it as is for this layout but keep that in mind for future builds.
  18. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Thanks guys :) I just finished my 6 & 1/2" bridge track that will span my 5" scratch built bridge made from balsa wood. I used a piece of code 83 flex track and cut the tie joiners to slide the ties closer together and glued the tie gaps on the bottom side with jet glue. I also fabricated a...
  19. C

    My new holiday layout for under the christmas tree started

    Update info and pics Thanks funvalleyline. Update - I have been chipping away at this layout in what seems to be little of my free time. I finished the foam contours, creek bed, bridges, and added trim to the fascia stained it with minwax cherry and put 3 coats of varnish on it and it came...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top