Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    well ive done it....I built the first 2x8 section of the layout!! Felt great haha. It probably wasnt the greatest of ideas to do it since the house isnt complete by any means but I just had to. More to come.. Im not going to bother finishing that wall until I move out since I have to...
  2. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    hey guys if I wanted to put a storage yard below what would be a good distance between the storage yard for easy access for maintenace, derailments, etc? Thinking maybe like 6-12" between the storage deck and the rest of the layout if that would suffice. Let me know! Thanks
  3. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    It is roughly a 10'x15' space with some room to play with depending on how ambitious I get with this :)
  4. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Ok good deal thanks Joe. I kept the main radius at 30" but the helix and/or reverse loop (still on the fence) and the curved section of the yard in the upper left is 26" as well. I think I may leave the upper loop as a reversing loop and maybe make the bottom loop the top of the helix that leads...
  5. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Well has been quite a busy week for me. Not as much time as I would have liked to set aside for the layout but I am sure with the holidays around the corner Im sure Im not the only one with that problem. I havent drywalled yet due to all of the other things going on such as laying tile...
  6. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Hey Joe, Im hoping to be able to fit more than one industry on here. I altered the plan some more to more of a visible twice around with the third trip being completely hidden now. I deleted most of the hidden parts off the plan to make it easier to understand. I hope it makes sense. I will...
  7. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Well I was messing around with anyrail and I made a few slight changes. I took Trussrod's advice and spaced out the yard better. I believe I checked them all and from centerline to centerline is almost 2.5 inches now. Also if you noticed from the previous drawing the yard tied into the mainline...
  8. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Ill definitely have to get down there and see that yard Joe. Thanks for the suggestion on the yard Trussrod I really appreciate it. Just a quick picture of how the room is opening up. Tomorrow I insulate most of it except where I still need to redo some of the electrical as seen hanging on...
  9. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Hello, I am sorry to say I didnt get as far today as I would have liked on the reno so I dont really have any pictures that show a huge huge difference of those rooms. Its all still gutted. The electrical in the house is making my head spin as I just cant figure out why they would ever wire a...
  10. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Yaa that shovel is monsterous. Ive been using it to shovel plaster down the stairs haha. Good news that big snow storm never showed up we only ended up receiving like 3 inches. I was very happy to wake up and not see a massive amount of snow that was predicted. I rerouted some electrical today...
  11. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    As requested! More cleaned up now but this was in heart of demolition. This one i have about 20x30 space. and way Ive gutted around some rooms it makes a giant T shape. This room is about 15x20 I could actually create quite the monster of a layout if I really wanted to I guess haha
  12. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Well I actually waited to add the suggestions you guys gave me because I wanted to post a smaller version of the layout. This one is 10x15. I shaved a foot off the width and 4 off the length. The yard isnt as long but I dont know if I need a yard that long although the space cant hurt right? I...
  13. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Thanks for all the comments/suggestions :) I am going to come up with a version 2.0 of the layout I posted and see if I can include the features you guys suggested. Also I think I am going to try and do a second version of this layout tomorrow which will be smaller than the current and weigh...
  14. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Well I tried my best and I hope it can be made sense of. I tried just doing the mainline and the yard from Maine Central. I know its basically 3 giant loops but I really feel if I optimize the space I can have a lot of operational fun with all the potential industrial I could add. I tried my...
  15. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Ok I greatly appreciate the advice. I will try to unclutter a bit and see how that looks once I get the main laid out on the program. I am working on the layout drawing as we speak so Im hoping to have atleast one done for tomorrow. I want to post atleast 2 and get some opinions from all you...
  16. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Well I think I have settled on HO Peco 83 track and turnouts. It seems overall descent reviews. I was thinking about going Atlas 83 but from what i read no one has it due to something about a factory change in China. Although is there any track thats made in the US? I know it may cost a little...
  17. J

    New layout and new to the hobby

    Hello everyone, I just want to tell everyone I am honored to be part of such an awesome community. Everyones layouts on here are so inspirational that this forum is actually the biggest reason as to my venture in model railroading. I come from a family with a long history of railroading as...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top