ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
D
We never had a hobby shop located where I (Corvallis, OR) live and usually went to Portland where there was a really cool trains only shop located in an old house near downtown. Got my first Tyco train set there which started me on "serious" model railroading - HO gauge. Prior to that we would...
-
D
Perhaps, if we could go back to the hobby experiences of our childhoods, we would look around those LHSs of the fifties and sixties and see many more kids than adults in those shops. I'm wondering if adults (thats us) actively involved in these particular hobbies (trains, models, RC) is a...
-
D
Interesting turn this thread has taken. Our LHS now has their flex track and roadbed in the back because they were damaged too often by kids. I don't blame the LHS for having to take any steps necessary to protect themselves in this respect.
So true about kids being worse around their parents...
-
D
Jim and Josh,
Sorry I didn't get Back to you sooner to thank you for responding to my post. Better to learn from those who have gone before you so I value your input.:)
Sincerely,
Dan
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill
-
D
Can't help you with the wiring but seeing the title of this post really takes me back.
My first HO set was a Tyco which I acquired somewhere around 64-65 when I was in junior high school. Still have all 5 cars and the loco that ran em. Even have all the original boxes they came in (the large...
-
D
Good thread guys! Keep the recommendations coming. I only have diesel so far but hope to acquire a DCC/sound ready steam in the few months. This
information is very interesting to me as well.:o
Dan
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."...
-
D
Jim,
Is it safe to say that if Alan also brought the beer you guys would be "unbiased biased"?
As an aside, this might make an interesting thread of it's own. In modelers opinions, and based on their experiences, just how "fair and unbiased" are judges and how consistant are the judging...
-
D
Jim,
I was a little surprised to see as much negative feedback about RS as I did. It wasn't on this forum but over at DCC4EVERYONE.
My neighbor designs things like the decoders we use in our locos as well as other electronic items and he sometimes needs to build a mock up or prototype. He said...
-
D
That's one of the problems with our LHS. They are much more focused on RC than anything else. They are constantly promoting RC events in the area but seldom, if ever, do anything for the MR crowd. Perhaps they had a falling out with the local club but I don't know that since I don't belong. They...
-
D
Jim,
Radio shack is the first place I went to since they are the only place in town that stock toggles. They were $3.99 per switch. Besides price, I heard from a lot of individuals that Radio Shack's quality is pretty poor as well. The ones I got from Demar were $.90 each and I can't "see" any...
-
D
Could be. Would explain the time factor.
DW
-
D
Jim,
It's not really all that bad yet. The room is fully carpeted (not by choice - it was that way when we moved here) so crawling around on it isn't too bad. It's mainly the constant up and down when I'm doing this kind of work. Hopefully, it will be the last major overhaul in my lifetime. May...
-
D
David,
Very true about the internet outfits. That's why I asked around about Cherry Creek before placing an order from them.
I needed about thirty DPDT toggle switches for my new control panel (not going DCC for my turnouts - not grandson user friendly like toggles you can see and flip)...
-
D
I tend to agree with you on this Selector. My original premise was that with the competition from the internet, the LHS should be trying even harder to make up for it with superior service. Yes, they are convenient for the little things. That's one of the main reasons I try and give them as much...
-
D
Wayne,
Your comment about your back brought to mind something I said to my dear wife yesterday. I literally spent the entire day under my layout pulling out old turnouts and installing new ones along with the Tortoise switch machines.
She came downstairs for a minute (I think to see if I...
-
D
Alan,
Outstanding job on your loco. Great details and it looks super on your layout. Beautiful job with the scenery as well.
Dan
-
D
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13013&stc=1&d=1237070985
This is the pride and joy (so far) of my layout. Took me almost a year to build with each piece of hemlock cut and stained by hand. Not only is it curved...
-
D
Good to hear noise isn't an issue. I've seen enough references to it to have become a little concerned. Can't be too much worse than the loud snap my old Atlas switches made.
DW
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill
-
D
My LHS is fairly well stocked with the smaller stuff such as track supplies, couplers, construction materials, scenery supplies, some decent motive power and rolling stock. It's just that I'd buy so much more from them if they made the effort in service and could provide reasonable prices on the...
-
D
Saw this subject discussed some time back but felt impelled to throw this out there.
I'm torn between buying local and going through the www route. I like to be able to buy something quickly when I need it even though the price is usually somewhat higher and I just plain like helping out the...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)