Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Weekly Photo Fun 5-15/5-21

    Lookin awesome guys! Hey Jim, nice to see a sneak at yours too - seems like it's top secret. :) I have been working on my town some more too. I still need some more cars and people, but it's looking decent I think. That's my Model Power FP7 cruising over the grade crossing. Kyle
  2. K

    Newly made billboard... whadya think?

    Hey guys, Just scratch-built this billboard today... going for a early 50s theme. What do you think? Stole the product from a movie, "O Brother Where Art Thou?" :) Thanks! Kyle
  3. K

    Wireless DC throttle

    Hey guys, I have a walkaround style N scale layout, and would love to run it wireless... unfortunately I like straight up direct current, and have found few things to support it. What do yall think of this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSR91&P=FR Looks nice to me...
  4. K

    Bachmann N scale 0-6-0?

    Hey guys, How well do these things operate, anyone have a late factory run of one? I saw them on http://blwnscale.com/Bachmann%200-6-0%20Switcher.htm They say they're all new releases with better mechanisms... I know they have a short wheelbase, so would tend to not perform as well as...
  5. K

    Weekend Photo Fun May 1-3

    Lookin good guys! I'm nowhere near a finished layout... still working on expanding my N scale Southern. Here's a little progress I made this weekend - finished the main cotton mill building, along with the water tower and pump house. On the little pump house, I tried my hand at shingles for...
  6. K

    Static Grass Applicator

    You know, it sounds goofy, but I had decent results with - a balloon. Just rub it on your shirt, maybe scoot your feet if want, and hold it right over a small area. Rub some more, hold it over it again (close now, maybe 1/8"). I worked with about two square feet at a time, and had no...
  7. K

    Cotton mills?

    Thanks Jim! It really is sad how fast it's gone downhill... I was just looking at some satellitte photos of it, and it was in much better shape when they were taken - probably not but 5 years ago or so. It was kind of creepy walking in and around that place! I was reading that same article...
  8. K

    Cotton mills?

    Thanks guys! I headed over to the abanndoned one here in Douglasville, GA and took some photos. It was a Georgia Western mill, and from I understand, a "Praray" design, with the triangular walls. It was made in the late 1890s, and has been inactive for over thirty years, falling apart...
  9. K

    Cotton mills?

    Hey guys, Never really known much about them (before my time), but how could one be incorporated into a layout, with say - a 1940s-50s timeframe? Would they be rail-served? If yes, how so? Cotton shipped in with boxcars, yarn and fabric shipped out? Thanks! Kyle
  10. K

    Weekend Photo Fun April 17-19, 2009

    Thanks Jeff! Yeah, I tried my hand at a shelf layout in HO, but I just don't have the room for it... :o So it's good ol' N scale for me! Maybe once I move out of this apartment... Kyle
  11. K

    Weekend Photo Fun April 17-19, 2009

    Just one shot here... kinda crappy, I've been working on expanding my N scale Southern layout. This is my Model Power FP7, detailed and coupler conversions done on her. Runs great! I'm about to pull up that depot, and make it a fuel dealer. Kyle
  12. K

    Walthers Chain-Link Fence Material?

    Hey Josh, I had the same problems. Here's a couple pieces of advice from mine. I sprayed my mesh down before cutting it - just used a cheapie WalMart rattle can of Silver paint. To cut it, I placed a straight edge (a ruler could work too) on top of the mesh, and use the edge as the line I...
  13. K

    Modular track connection

    I was wondering - when you have a modular layout, and there are two sections that meet up. How do you get the track to have a good physical path for trains? I know it sounds simple, but I know how critical the joints are for flanges and all so there will be no derailments - and I can't...
  14. K

    MRC Prodigy Express throttle...

    Bingo Eric. Well, I guess if it's normal there's nothing I can do then. I figured every click you did, would be a notch increase. :rolleyes: Thanks! Kyle
  15. K

    FEC rock train?

    Thanks Jim! So how would they go about moving it then? Every few cars, they'd have to cut and switch up the train? Seems like a like of back and forth... Kyle
  16. K

    FEC rock train?

    Ooooooh... so this remote car controls the doors of hoppers then? Makes sense. I was thinking it was like a remote train, with a huge reciever (Southern style in the 70s and 80s) mounted behind the locomotives. So it just remotely controls the hoppers dump doors then. Gotcha. Railroading...
  17. K

    FEC rock train?

    So, they still have to have a locomotive hooked up and pushing it then, right? I'm still confused. Is it a remote receiver, so the locos can be un-occupied? Kyle
  18. K

    FEC rock train?

    Hey guys, Was looking at this picture, and noticed that it said the first freight car is used for unloading of the rocks. Anyone know what it looks like (can't really see it there), or how it would work? http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=275401 Thanks! Kyle
  19. K

    Chain-Link Fence Post Spacing??

    No problem man. What route are you going with to make the fence? If you do the Walthers like I was struggling with, I would say do it seperately! LOL Keep us posted, would love to see how it turns out! Kyle
  20. K

    Atlas N code 55?

    Okay, cool - thanks Jim! I figured most of the frogs were insulated, I was just kind of wondering. I was reading one of the recent Model Railroader magazines, and David Popp was putting in some Peco turnouts on his N scale layout - in which he had to hack/cut and insulate the frog himself...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top