Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    'round the Bend

    stlgevo51, HO. Happy New Year, ST
  2. S

    'round the Bend

    UP2CSX, Thanks so much...once again!!! Had I come to you much earlier, I would not have squandered so much money on E-Z Track!!! So far I am pretty much going with ME Code 83 track, Peco turnouts, and 3/8" plywood. BTW, from what I remember using my old American Flyer set, I do agree...
  3. S

    'round the Bend

    As I am planning my layout, I am thrown for a curve of sorts. What radius curves would be appropriate? I am thinking 24" would be generic for my layout. Also, to avoid track kinks, I am probably going to use preformed curve track. So what would be the purpose of using curves with a larger...
  4. S

    Platforms

    dmeephd, I did take more than a cursory look at Seivers' Website. You're absolutely right: Seivers platforms/foundations are the bomb!!! Also, thanks for the cabinets idea. I will check out this angle. Happy New Year, ST
  5. S

    Platforms

    UP2CSX, Thanks for your advice. I was thinking of narrow strips of lumber as method of extending plywood dimensions. I will avoid milk crates. I am thinking portability, but I'll I have explore other angles. After surfing the 'net and ogling at extravagant layouts, I am motivated to jump...
  6. S

    Platforms

    What makes a good platform? I am considering 4' x 4' x.375" plywood. I like the idea of modular layout design. I plan to start with four sections. And what about sections of 3/8" pine wood? Finally what about platform foundation? Would legs or maybe mike crates work best? Happy New Year, ST
  7. S

    Peco Track

    dmeephd, Thanks for the info. Were I to go with Peco turnouts, what model should I select? I like the idea of remote switching, so maybe Electrofrog might be the way for me to go. But what about length? And streamline??? Happy New Year, ST
  8. S

    The Entire Spectrum

    UP2CSX, Excellent analysis!!! Thanks so much for your contribution. I do agree that economics does influence consumer demand -and expectations-...reasonable and otherwise! Happy New Year, ST
  9. S

    The Entire Spectrum

    Of the three Spectrum steam locomotives I own, two were defective. The first one I bought, some eight years ago, has seen limited use. It still runs, but it emits a grinding whine. I have American Flyer locomotives that are fifty years old that still run as if they were new. Is BLI the route...
  10. S

    Peco Track

    AndrewC & Secondhandmodeler, Considering I am neophyte at this hobby, is it likely I will experience benefit of Peco track? Or will I be better served by using Atlas? Finally, should I use Code 100 track? and what's the difference between coded track? Happy New Year, ST
  11. S

    Peco Track

    Who manufactures Peco track? Does the company have a Website? What would justify the additional cost of Peco track? Happy New Year, ST
  12. S

    Steam loco squeaking

    GWT7P, I have a Spectrum steam locomotive that's about 8 years old but rarely used. It squeaks! I have a brand new Spectrum with less than 2 hours on her. She squeaks. The squeaking is annoying. Happy New Year, ST
  13. S

    The Entire Spectrum

    How does Bachmann's Spectrum line compare with other manufacturers' steam locomotives? What might be the operational life of a Spectrum steam locomotive? How about a Paragon2? We own three Spectrum locomotives, all steam, so I have nothing to which I can compare them. However, our old...
  14. S

    Hudson

    UP2CSX, Thanks for the info. I am going to see what I might find at the Anaheim show on Jan 3rd. If I can't find a good deal there, I will go with http://.factorydirecttrains.com. Do you know of a good website with detailed Hudson info? Merry Christmas, ST
  15. S

    Hudson

    A dream come true??? http://www.broadway-limited.com/catalog/Paragon2_NYC_J1e_d_Hudson_4_6_4_HO-1864-1.html Merry Christmas, ST
  16. S

    For a couple bucks more

    There's more chance Hillary would couple with Barak than my cars coupling with each other. I get car separation resembling cheap Tinsel Town divorces. Elizabeth Taylor would drool with envy if she were able to gawk at my train leaving cars behind!!! For a couple dollars more I might be able to...
  17. S

    DCC, DC, and Maybe BS

    mavrickO, The locomotive that I have with DCC never ran correctly. Then it stopped running and never ran again. I have no idea why it stopped running, and neither did the Bachmann tech with whom I talked. The other locomotive had a defect in the front mechanism. I finally fixed the problem...
  18. S

    DCC, DC, and Maybe BS

    UP2CSX, My dilemma is logistical. I do not have a hobby room. As I submit this, our train is running on my living floor. At tops I might be able to dedicate sixty-four square feet to model trains. As of now, I am forced to use E-Z Track due to convenience. I'd love to set up plywood...
  19. S

    DCC, DC, and Maybe BS

    UP2CSX, No, I don't know how to run two trains on a single power source, but I do understand the concept. But with the configuration you've detailed, wouldn't the same voltage be distributed to both blocks? Merry Christmas, ST
  20. S

    A bridge too far

    Is there a manufacturer of wooden bridges? I'm thinking of buying two, each about a foot in length. I did buy Bachmann's 18 truss set. After opening the package, it was not quite what I had in mind. However, I might be able to make the trusses work with wooden bridges. Merry Christmas, ST




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top