Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    Code Bachmann

    What code is Bachmann E-Z Track? I was told it's Code 100, but for some reason I do not think that's correct. Thanks, Tom
  2. S

    I'm Driving Myself Nuts

    brubrakes, I am mired in the identical dilemma. I want to go with 24" radii, but I'll have to extend the dimensions of my layout to accommodate them. I have at least one fairly large locomotive, a 4-8-4, that I want to run on my layout. I am thinking it'll require a minimum 24" radius for...
  3. S

    Accurail vs Athearn

    So, if we're not all that committed to minute detail, would it be more advantageous to go with rolling stock that's less expensive, such as Athearn, and replace couplers as needed? My only complaint with Athearn thus far is with couplers. I have replaced quite a few so far. I just ordered a bulk...
  4. S

    Comparing F-7's

    If my x-girlfriend looked as good as a Genesis F-7 I'd still be dating her!!! Take care, Tom
  5. S

    Comparing F-7's

    Yeah, I second that!!! And did I write that they are gook-looking locomotives to boot??? Take care, Tom
  6. S

    Comparing F-7's

    el3637, Thanks so much for your extremely informative analysis of F-7 locomotives. I have no knowledge of locomotives you've examined but Genesis. And in all honesty, I bought two Genesis F-7 locomotives because they are handsome pieces. And once I have them on track, I fell in love with them...
  7. S

    Stock Question

    wheeler 1963, All of my Athearn freight cars were RTC. All came with metal wheels. While I am sure there might be minor inconsistencies in detail vis-a-vis prototypes, who can really tell? Is a mark in the right place really worth twice the price??? My only complaint with Athearn is their...
  8. S

    Stock Question

    Let's assume I buy Athearn rolling stock like I just did. And let's assume I buy Intermountain rolling stock, like I just did. Why is Intermountain worth twice the money? Wouldn't I be way ahead of the game buying Athearn and installing Kadee 148 Whisker couplers? I have about 25 Athearn...
  9. S

    Steam Vs Diesel

    Selector, I do know what you mean. While we both appreciate technology that has resulted in tremendous benefits to humanity, for me there is a pronounced romantic component of railroading, and only steam locomotives can create and nurture it. I do appreciate the technological advantages of...
  10. S

    Steam Vs Diesel

    Imackattack, About a month ago my daughter and I watched a fascinating [I]National Geographic[I] episode on steam locomotives, which, BTW, resulted in my rushing headlong into this marvelous hobby. According to this program, the primary motivation of railroads switching from steam to diesel was...
  11. S

    HO Turnouts with 24" Radius

    Imackattack, Thanks so much for your help. BTW, do you know Micro Engineering's Website? I must be too tired because I can't find it on Google. Thanks, Tom
  12. S

    HO Turnouts with 24" Radius

    If you were going to construct a layout with 24" radii, what size turnout would be appropriate? I was thinking of going with an 8, but maybe a 6 might be better. And would Electrofrog (sp?) or Insulfrog (sp) be better? I am considering Micro Engineering flex-track with Peco turnouts. By...
  13. S

    Comparing F-7's

    I know there are a lot of excellent F-7 locomotives on the market. I do like BLI's offering. And I am impressed with the single Blueline I own. However, I think I am going to stick with Genesis' model -for now- because I now own two of them. Moreover, I like UP2CSX's advice to go with an...
  14. S

    Soundtraxx Tsunami Sound Decoder

    RexHea, Would you happen to know Soundtraxx's Web address? Thanks, Tom
  15. S

    Roundhouse 4-6-2 Pacific

    UP2CSX, God, I bet you remember those days of your youth when you were able to get everything done at the last minute, sleep for but a few hours and were unfazed. But now at my age staying up until 1:00 am, sleeping for a few hours and going to work is exhausting. I'm still trying to...
  16. S

    Roundhouse 4-6-2 Pacific

    jbaakko, Thanks so much for your heads up. I want a 4-6-2, but I want to avoid having to make lemonade. Take care, Tom
  17. S

    Roundhouse 4-6-2 Pacific

    UP2CSX, I see you're up as well!!! I just finished entering semester grades! They're due this morning @ 8:00 am. Good thing I didn't procrastinate!!! Thanks for the Roundhouse 4-6-2 info. I did make a few hasty purchases, but I've tempered my rush for locomotives. I do want a Pacific, but I...
  18. S

    Roundhouse 4-6-2 Pacific

    Anyone familiar with Roundhouse steam locomotives? Roundhouse is now a subsidiary of Athearn. I've been emailing Athearn. I wrote that I was in the market for a good-quality 4-6-2. In Atheran's reply, it was explained that the new Roundhouse is an upgraded version of the Genesis 4-6-2. If this...
  19. S

    Silence is Golden...

    UP2CSX, Thanks for your advice. I will stay away from MRC. I'm going to begin by taking a look at Digitrax. How much should I expect to pay for a decoder for my BLI? How about decoder and sound for my two F-7's? Thanks, Tom
  20. S

    Athearn 1000/1500 Diesel Locomotive

    Imackattack, Thanks for the info...and thanks for helping me. Take care, Tom




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top