ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
R
Boy, we have ended up with two pages on this post! Well Blacklash, I have just tested your post of the Kato hookup with the LEDs first and then the switch after using a pushbutton switch. Works great. Now I just need to clean up the wires and I think that I will have a setup that does almost...
-
R
Bells just went off, light bulbs just lit...... Backlash I now understand your Kato diagraphms. The DPDT switch runs the LEDs and you then use a momentrary pulse normall off switch AFTER THE LEDs that goes to the turnout. I was not thinking about wiring the pushbutton switch AFTER the LEDs...
-
R
OK guys I goofed. When hooking up the LED wires in my response I reversed the terminology.. One LED is non-resistor to black and resistor to white. The other LED is non-resistor to white and resistor to black. Sorry. This can get confusing..... Harlan
-
R
Thank you Backlash. I have gone one step further with my project. Since I wanted to have a positive display on all the time for the position of the turnout I needed LEDs on all the time for each side of the turnout but in opposite colors, Therefore I am using Bi-color LEDs and a double-throw...
-
R
Backlash everything you state is true. It does appear that, for me, the best path would be to have two switches for each turnout. One is a pulse switch like the Atlas ones (small and easy) but a push button type and the second, controlling the LEDs, would be the double pole toggle that I have...
-
R
Great news one and all. I found a very good loco maintenance book. It is printed by Model Railroader, it is "Maintaining & Repairing Your Scale Model Trains". I obtained it from Model Train Stuff. It does a great job on dealing with Diesels, Steam Locos, Rolling stock and your layout. This...
-
R
I really appreciate the responses. Everyone of them make sence for what I am doing. My power supply is a combination. I have both a DCC system and a DC system setup. The track side is connected through a double throw switch that will allow for me to either run in the DC mode or in the DCC...
-
R
An added thought.:( I attempted to hook up the turnout to the feed from the double throw switch. It worked :D. For a short time then the turnout motor burned out :mad:. The turnouts need a pluse power to make the switch and then the next time they need a pulse power in the reverse power...
-
R
:eek: Well I found out the way to wire the Bi-color LED. Unlike the turnouts the LED require power all the time (to remain lit). The turnouts only use reversing pulse power to activate the turnout's motors, they do not have the connections to the turnout powered all the time. But if you are...
-
R
I want to construct a layout map with bi-color LEDs for each of my turnouts. The LEDs would be showing the status of the rail beyond the turnout. I would have two LEDs for each turnout, one for the main line track and one for the turnout track. When the turnout was switched off the main line...
-
R
Thank you I will try your ideas.
-
R
:confused: I have been given a few old (?) locomotives from a friend. Most really need work to get them to run properly. Does anyone know of a manual or guide on working on N scale rolling stock? I do not mind working on small items but I know nothing about the internal parts of the trains. I...
-
R
Kato Switches?
I have the same quetion regarding the switches. I did not know that the switches had a "power selection". Where is it on the switch? How do you change the "power selection"? A question was asked, "do I have to add feeder wires to the swich to make it live all the time"? I am...
-
R
Mountains
Good question. I initially used foam sheets and cut them to fit as the books say. I then saw Woodland Scenes Sub-terrain system and found it to be outstanding and easy. Wish I had started the whole layout with that product. Look at Woodland Scenes web site. They have videos there...
-
R
Kato Switch Connection
A normal Kato switch has a three part set up. The turnout, a converter, and then a switch throw. I have the same question that was asked orignially. I want to use a completely separate power pack for switches and other layout items (light, houses etc), not the trains...
-
R
What Track?
One thing that a single question survey lacks is an evaluation of the reason(s) why one item is selected over another item. If the Atlas 55 track is tops the question is; why? Is it because the Atlas is easy to work with or is it because the c55 is more prototypical or is it...
-
R
Many things to think about
It all depends on what you really want from you system. Kato track seems to be good. The Kato switches appear to be best because they have already hidden switch motors but the cost is a factor. If you have a large layout you could use flex track and smooth the...
-
R
I have been researching the best type of switches to use for my layout. I like the Peco switches because of the positive spring control but I have an issue with the distance away from the switch the motor will be. The switch would be about 3" above the location of the switch motor. I then...
-
R
Thank you for the info. It has been very helpful. It means I need to get a 3% grade to be realistic so that would require a rise of 1.4" for a half circle of 15" radius (% x distance = rise) [0.03 x 47.1 = 1.4"]. Therefore my starting point, the track at the front of the layout, since it will...
-
R
I have just done some calculations for my rise to the rear hill. The circumference of a circle is found by multipling 3.141 times the diameter. So a 15" radius would have a circumference of 94.2 inches (30x3.141). Thus the half circle length is 47.1 inches. Now the percent grade is: rise...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)