Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    Sound question

    You are probably correct, it's only a matter of time before I get bored of running only one train at a time and make the jump to DCC.
  2. D

    Sound question

    I have my first layout almost complete and it works great. But it's to quiet. Is there any type of engine sounds that can be added without going to a DCC system?
  3. D

    HO Car Derailments

    I drilled a hole with a drill in a pin vise that was just a little smaller in diameter than the nail. It was much easier to install.
  4. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    RexHea, thanks for the quick reply. do I get "Standard shank" or "Wisker"? What's the difference?
  5. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    I was looking in the Walthers catalog (awsome catalog!) for couplers for the Bachman Silver series cars and found Kadee "Magne-matic". They list a couple different ones: a No. 5 and a No. 58 in either "standard shank" or "Whisker". Which do I need, or is there a better coupler?
  6. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    I have the code 100 track. According to the instructions, all I have to do is glue it in the center of the track directly on the ties. For the life of me, I can't figure out how they uncouple anything. If I put the magnet by hand below the coupler, nothing happens or moves. I didn't realize...
  7. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    True, but I was looking forward to being able to switch cars around a yard w/o having to walk around and do it manually. I assume I can buy new couplers. What is the difference between delayed and not delayed uncoupler magnets?
  8. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    Oh crap!!! Those were the only 2 good cars I have. I was sure I read another post that said it was OK to nip them off. Another lesson learned.
  9. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    Do the hoses have something to do with the function of the uncoupler? If so, I might have done something stupid as I sniped a bit off the ends to clear part of a cross over.
  10. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    The uncouplers are Kadee #321 "Magne-matic" and is a delayed action type. I tried setting one on the track (not glued) to see what it did and nothing happened. I also tried to shim it up above the track a little more (instructions say 1/64") to no avail. Do these require special couplers on...
  11. D

    Magnet uncoupler?

    I picked up a magnetic uncoupler to try and I can't get it to do anything. The cars are new Silver Series Bachman. What is the trick?
  12. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    I have tweaked all the Atlas switches as instructed, and now they work well. I also did some work on the couplers and that helped a lot too. Today I purchashed 2 of the Silver Series Bachman cars......wow are they nice! I had NO problems with them. I can see that the design with the coupler...
  13. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    I spent more time on this problem yesterday and found that 1/2 of my old cars have couplers that have to much spring force to latch them. So when the the car is coupled to another one, it tends to turn the truck. Then when it enters the switch it wants to turn instead of going straight. I guess...
  14. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    Yes, all the Atlas switches were new. All 7 of them! I have filed and tweaked on them so much that there is no way I can send them back now. There was mentioned in one post about inserting a toothpick between the fixed rail and moveable rail so it doesn’t travel so far. How do you hold the...
  15. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    Well, I replaced 4 of the Atlas switches with the 20 year old Life-like units and what a difference. The cars go through the switch in both directions with no issue. I am ready to pitch the Atlas ones. Does Life-like still make these switches? I found a few of NOS ones on eBay but it looks...
  16. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    Yes, they all have plastic wheels. I will buy a couple new ones with metal wheels and give it another try. I appreciate all the guidance.
  17. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    After filing and tweaking on these switches for the past couple hours all I’ve done is get myself frustrated. The cars seem to still want to come off the track. The cars are just cheap ones that have been around for 20 years, should I buy a couple of new ones and see if they work any better...
  18. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    I agree. Their quality in general seems rather poor. There was a piece of 18" rad track that had one rail 1/4" shorter than the other. I'm sorry to see that the same problems I've had with car restoration parts has hit the train hobby as well....... Made in China junk.
  19. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    It's designed that way!? I can't believe they sell something so poorly engineered. Being a newbie, I'm learning the hard way. If all Atlas stuff is like this, what is a good brand to buy? Also what car brands are good? I appreciate all the help.
  20. D

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    I hope this isn't to stupid a ?, but I have my new layout set up and tried to run a train but the engine/cars come off the track at the Atlas turn outs. If you look at the picture below, you can see where the regular rail ends (on the left) and there is a notch or step where the movable part of...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top