Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    I believe Digitrax do offer some upgradeability. Thats were wireless comes in, any end user can reflash it in 30 seconds in 6 mouse clicks. Need it? Thats up to the end user but the benefits are obvious, as you know software in trains will continue forever, so this is a way of future proofing...
  2. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    I looked over on You tube, saw the system, saw it operated, saw you, and I went to the site and looked at prices. $40.00 (Austrailian) for a receiver (decoder in DCC-ese :D) that's a little steep, when you consider that we can get non sound decoders for less than $20.00 for non sound units. Any...
  3. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showforum=129 Scorpius has its own sub forum on Slotforum.com Here you will find all the discussion on Scorpius. Currently in production, in fact the factory should be producing PCBs within 4 weeks. I put it back a year because we decided to...
  4. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    ok ok lets call it 100% wireless DCC (with Scorpius protocols overlay) :)
  5. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Outside range is over 160 metres, inside over 25 metres minimum. More in big halls etc. To this day no interference ever. It has auto channel hop should it detect anything on that channel. It also has encryption, which stops hacking. 2.4GHz is a public band and emergency services dont use...
  6. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Good question. The architecture is there for the entire world to see free. Take it. The software would be copyrighted by each company to give individuality and the chance to compete on ideas and additional functions. However the main protocols cannot be copyrighted. However there would need...
  7. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Exactly, we would all be using ice boxes instead of refrigerators, using horse and carts AND using DC trains only if no one ever had the balls to have a go. Simply you had no choice of videos when you went to hire Betamax, 90% of the shelves were VHS, thats the only reason it failed that I...
  8. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Please leave Mike out of it. It has nothing to do with Scorpius. Is it simpler? Is the data comms superior? Is the power system superior? Over time let the enthusiasts and consumers decide :) If you can show your reasons why DCC is better in any of these areas please show us. Ive heard...
  9. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Heres the Scorpius equivalent of the propriety system shown above with 2 power zones, 3 blocks, signal control and block occupancy detection, a LAN network and a power bus. Note, no isolation is needed between A1 and A2, so no A2 is needed. I forgot to label the second wireless controller...
  10. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Relax, that was just something the owner of the shop centre used so people could identify where the lane changers were. Funny enough when I used that track not once do I remember actually seeing them! :)
  11. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    One wonders why Digitrax made Loconet. Loconet obviously offers more control when combining block detection, signals, turnouts etc. Heres an extract off the net I just found QUOTE I am going to be using a lot of LocoNet devices: a DCS100 Command Station and perhaps a DB150 booster, a UR92...
  12. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Hi Guys, Heres the power diagram I promised: As you can see simpler than even DC :) Rick
  13. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Wiring diagram for a Scorpius stationary decoder. This multipurpose unit can be reflashed in 30 seconds to be the following: a) Turnout controller b) Block detector c) Signal driver d) Accessory driver e) Auto reverser Heres a look at the turnout controller: This particular...
  14. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Thats good then because with Scorpius you use a light weight lap top that you seldom need. Wireless, no cables, runs on battery :) In fact you only need it once to flash the IDs on the various decoders! Everything AFTER that else is optional:) Good or no? Scorpius is designed for middle...
  15. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Im fully aware DCC can run on DC as digital slot cars can run on DC. So what I said was correct, that a DCC loco cannot run on a Scorpius track. My point was whoever Mike Wolf was he had the guts to try it. Ill think you'll agree this has a totally different hardware architecture, not...
  16. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Agreed, the complexity inside is not an issue. I see the complexity in actually learning how to tie signals, block detection, controll buses, configuring and all the buttons amongst other things. Seems data on rails is overcrowded soon after it began. Im blown away that each detection system...
  17. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Yes a power bus will always be needed on bigger layouts. Will not require electrical blocks. The Scorpius auto reverser has a PWM driver to power that section of track. Rick
  18. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Analogy to game consoles, records/CD/MP4 is valid because its not based on speculation but actual proof of consumer behaviour. Thats the way I see it anyhow. I am providing a structured view slowly over many posts, there is simply too much to explain in 20 odd posts even. Defintion of...
  19. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    All taken on board :) For the record you could run a Scorpius/DCC decoder on either sytems but Scorpius runs pure 12V DC on the rails therefore a DCC loco cannot run on a Scorpius track. Out of interest a simple way to run a wireless loco on DC would be simply to turn the DC cab to full (12V...
  20. I

    Scorpius wireless digital train system

    Thats a good point and nothing I can do about. Im guessing everyone here can install a decoder? And I know if you go for DCC locos (from the factory) your choice is severely limited. Or I could offer a fitting service? Or perhaps even the dealer, I know some dealers do this now for a reasonable...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top