ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
K
No, but F8's the mute. If that had been on I don' t think it would have made any sound and it was making some sound, but garbled- when moving in reverse.
-
K
So I installed one of these in a nice Atlas Master GP38. The sound worked for a little bit, now it's screwed up.
No sound when moving forward. When moving in reverse there's a low sound, but it gets garbled and is clearly not right. What's odd is that the motor function and...
-
K
Is the high speed cutoff tool you're referring to a round cut-off disc? Do you happen to know the part number?
Also, what is the advantage of using th flex shaft? (what is the flex shaft for that matter?). Thanks.
-
K
With the Bachmann part of the problem may be the decoder. Do your's make a buzzing/humming sound? If so, it's the decoder. If they are diesels there's an easy fix. NCE makes a decider that replaces the light board and requires minimal rewiring. And it's only about $20 ($17 at my LHS). That...
-
K
I assume they have more detail out of the box, but is it that much more than a good plastic loco? Do they run better? Hopefully a millionaire hobbiest who owns one of these will chime in ;)
-
K
That's them too! Again, without the target.
Thanks for the help.
-
K
That's them! But without the target. Thanks!
-
K
No, these are modern looking levers. I see them on the New Jersey transit/Amtrak northeast corridor between Trenton and New York city at switches leading to sidings. They are big loops and are painted yellow.
-
K
These are pretty prominent on the diesel pilot, but it don't see a lot of these modelled on HO scale locos.
What do you use to model them?
Thanks.
-
K
Who makes groundthrows that look like the prototype ones that look like one half of a bow and are painted yellow.
Google only turns up pages and pages of Caboose industries ground throws.
Thanks.
-
K
I just wired an Athearn RTR for DCC using instructions I found on TCS Decoders site.
The instruction said to solder the decoder's black wire to the frame as a ground. It isn't connected to the left wheel pickup like I'm used to .
It's working so I'm not complaining. But I am curious. Why...
-
K
Thanks for those suggestions.
I had to take the motor out to wire the decoder. I think it's secured well enough to the frame. The screws are tightened down.
I'll look at the other items.
-
K
I put a Tsunami TSU-1000 into a brand new Athearn GP40-2 this weekend. The sound is great, but it's being marred by a mechanical clicking noise. The loco has also now started to shake a bit side to side when running at slow speed.
I checked to make sure none of the decoder wires are...
-
K
Well, it took a long time and a lot of metal shavings in my hair, the Dremel cut off wheel on my face, but it worked. And I'm a complete noob. So I can do it, anyone can.
-
K
I have two Bachmann GP38 with factory DCC. Both run very loud. I put a Digitrax Decoder in one and the running noise went away. It's the decoder.
-
K
I'm pretty sure you'll need to isolate the motor from the frame in the BB's which are non-DCC ready. If you don't you'll burn out the decoder.
Make sure you do that BEFORE you install the Tsunamis.
Check out TCS's website which has photo tutorials on how to install decoders in various locos...
-
K
Thanks for the suggestions. You're right that clipping the pins won't help. Upon further review, the decoder board, small as it is, is still too wide and hits a piece of the Pc board in the loco, preventing the shell from seating down completely. I'll have to return the Soundtraxx decoder...
-
K
I have an Atlas MP15DC. There is very little room under the hood, but it does have an 8 pin socket.
I got a very small Soundtraxx decoder (not sound) that has an 8 pin connector, no harness. But the pins make it still sit too high.
So, do you think if I shortened the pins by snipping...
-
K
I'm talking about making room for a speaker by cutting away part of the chassis or hollowing out the fuel tank.
Anyone ever use a Dremel to do this? If so, can you explain how and what attachments/tools you used?
Thanks.
-
K
Very nice work.
Did you add sound to those locos yourself or did they come factory equipped? If the latter, what is the manufacturer please? Thanks.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)