ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
J
Ian and others,
I am not going to quote your posting, not because I don't value it but because it will take me longer to respond if I do have to interleave everything, and I woul dlike to tackle some issues in different order.
1.. Why NMRA? You are not the only person to suggest that...
-
J
Well, that really says it all doesn't it! Congratulations.
John
-
J
Very true. What you are doing is pretty small really, I have seen much more complex layouts on some pretty basic DCC gear.
Don't underestimate the locals. You will inevitably have issues and questions, if you are using something they are familiar with then you will find it easy to get help...
-
J
You could try a local surplus electronics type store. I have one here in town where I get things like 12V wall-warts for around $4.50 - ideal for the job and independent of your other layout power.
Or just check the stack of wall-warts in your cupboard that you forgot what they are for and you...
-
J
Simple, ask others around town.
If you use the same as they do then you will have a natural support group!
-
J
Ian,
I did not mean to detract from DigiTrax at all and sorry if you saw it that way. AJ and his crew offer a high quality product with excellent service and support.
All I meant to point out was that there are other choices equally as valid and as good as DigiTrax.
Cheers, John
-
J
And their is always a but! Even in our own minds as designers. One of our buts is that we figure we need, at the outset, to cover as many use cases as possible. The alternative is to end up just like DCC and to have so many uncovered cases that the whole things turns into a mess.
And in reality...
-
J
I think you should look at the NCE and Lenz offerings too. I only have a baby layout, but I haven't found anything yet that my Lenz can't handle. NCE is not only good (but I don't own one) they are also US based and have excellent customer support and a gret expandable range of product.
John
-
J
Well, simply put, Layout Control Bus systems are designed to make the set-up of control systems, be they simple or complex, much easier. And to provide complex control arrangements very simply.
LCB's do not yet control the actual trains, we don't propose to replace DCC. What LCB's will soon...
-
J
Thanks, well, I just checked all the links and they go to the right places. Maybe some sort of glitch yesterday? I hope that is all it was.
John
-
J
Some of you may have become aware of the developments taking place in the realm of electronics to help control and run model layouts. Several independent groups having been beavering away on these ideas, and the group I am associated with, a project known as OpenLCB (Open source Layout Control...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)