ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
H
As far as the numbers.....
We are currently using stuff that is 21/40. Judging by what is going on, it should be the "grit" if you will of the sandblast media. Obviously there are finer and coarser options available.
Another pretty neat looking thing that they sell is Red Garnet for...
-
H
So after staring at my picture for a bit, some thoughts have come to me- hope you are still bearing with me here....
The entire girder system is built with 1x4s. Then for the orange area, the total height is 5.5inches. So my thought process is.......from the top of the foam, I would have to...
-
H
Ok below is my really bad attempt at trying to break this down. Mind you I had to use a mousepad on a laptop, so no comments about my "lines" lol.
The blue lines are where there are cuts to be made, up top is a stream. In the middle orange section that is to be raised. Now as you will see...
-
H
Ok, I need a little help, frankly because I don't understand.
I am looking through some N layouts from Atlas. I found one that I think would be a good first layout. So I google it, and find some completed layout pictures of it, and some on-going ones.
The "blueprint" if you will in the...
-
H
Jim(UP2CSX)
After some deliberation, and a visit to my local hobby shop. I was able to get a copy of last years "N" scale master book- lists a lot of stuff. And low and behold- my original hesitation with "N" scale was far from true.
So with that said. I will definitely be going "N" scale...
-
-
H
I can get it for free. For this is what I do. Although we keep 1000lb bags of it usually. Is that too big for ya :)....
Would be glad to send some your way, and start giving back to this little community here.
If interested let me know.
-
H
UP-
My name is Bryan, guess I should but that in my signatures :)
-
H
UP2CSX-
Yes, I got some of the latex caulk, but the foam is not on yet.
After I finish building the tables I am going to seriously look at an L shaped layout to start, see what I can find.
As for scale, I prefer the HO scale, because of my hands and the size of the equipment. IMO N is just...
-
H
Bought 2 doors today. 36x80, along with some 1x4s, 1.5inch polysterene and the folding table legs. Put some of the 1x4s on the doors tonight, but called it quits. Realized I bought screws that are too big to mount the 1x4s onto the door, and don't want to splinter it.
All glued up though.
I...
-
H
And I suppose at least 1/2" stryofoam on top of the doors.
I just want to say thank you very much to all of you that have been helping me today. Unbelievable how quickly I have had all these questions answered today.
-
H
Ok well after shopping. I am thinking 2 doors 36x80 with foldable banquet legs and 1x4s glued and screwed where legs will go.
My next question is. Will that be a good start? Will be like 6ft x 6ft 8in. Could always add a24in door to the end for 8ft.
Thanks
-
H
Ok, well I appreciate all the feedback!!
I have been staring at layouts all day, and really running out of steam here, I am going to head out to Home Dept and take a look at these doors and the table legs they sell.
I figure I really need to settle on how I am going to do this, before I find a...
-
H
Ok, so after reading about the HOG layout, I have yet another idea.
Banquet table legs attached to 2x4 Plywood. Only problem I have with the HOG layout, is I really enjoy loops, as does my daughter. So I am still searching for something that will work. Sure seems like I am going to be stuck...
-
H
So after more reading and more thinking, here is what I am thinking.
2x4 plywood tops
2x4 frame.
4x4 legs
Do this 4 times and I can pull off either a 4x8. Or a small U shape, or can continue to expand upon it.
If I drill holes in the 2x4 frame, I should be able to bolt it all together for...
-
H
I like the HO scale. I really looked into the N scale but felt my hands were just too big to feel comfortable with it.
I don't have much right now, just some odd Athearn and some EZ Track. Still trying to figure some things out and how I can/want to do things.
-
H
Well I am a new member to the forum. I have been reading a lot, but decided to get a user name and become kind of active.
I am also kind of new to model railroading, still trying to learn all the terms you guys use.
I know how difficult it can be to relate to someone new to this, but...
-
H
Hey everyone. I am running across a little problem here. I am somewhat new to all of this, and due to a divorce had to move into a condo type apartment. For the time being I have the train on the floor in the dining room, but well, this is getting old real quick.
I am trying to figure...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)