Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. D

    Modern day modelers do you ever run a caboose

    I model modern day (BNSF&CSX)but every once in a while I throw in a caboose. I grew up seeing them and I just like to see them at the end of a train. I know rivit counters may cringe but its my layout and I am sticking to it.LOL
  2. D

    John Allen book did I get a good deal

    book I figured I got a good deal. If I remember correctly I saw a cover missing softback go for over 100.00 on the bay. I model modern day but I love looking at the GD railroad. The details and scratchbuilt items blows me away not to mention the size of the layout.
  3. D

    John Allen book did I get a good deal

    I won a very nice, I would say near mint MRR with J/A book for 35.00 on the bay. What do you think
  4. D

    Brass/Plastic locos

    In your opinion which company makes locos in plastic with details as close to brass. So far from what I have seen Atlas is GREAT. Any input...
  5. D

    What do you think about Atlas silver series loco's

    I have never had an Atlas engine of anykind but I am thinking about buying a silver series loco. I have about had it with Athearn. Not the Genesis line but the others. I wil take a Bachman Spectrum loco over Athearn non Genesis line anyday. Anyway what do you think? Thanks!
  6. D

    Athearn loco makes noise in curves

    I have an older HO scale blue box Athn. gp38-2. It runs smooth and quiet except when it hits a curve. I have medium to large radius curves, anyway when it goes into a curve it makes a grinding/vibrating sound. The tighter the curve the louder it gets. It is well lubed,wheels are straight and...
  7. D

    Chicago Southshore Southbend double decker question

    I live in Michigan City,IN the CSSSB rr goes right through my town. Anyway they now have double decker commuter cars. Does anyone know if there is a HO scale version of these cars. I am not looking for factory made Southshore cars I am wanting to know if anyone knows if the Walthers or Kato...
  8. D

    Making a dummy engine but having one problem

    short The only gears that are in the trucks are the ones between each wheel. It rolls freely when pushed by hand. The bar from truck to truck has been taken out. I just do not get it. I looked at my other dummy engines that I made and everything is the same as far as wheels trucks and so on but...
  9. D

    Making a dummy engine but having one problem

    I have an older Athearn GP38-2 that I have stripped down to nothing but the frame and trucks and when I put it on the track it bogs my powered engines down. It is almost like it is shorting them out. As soon as I take it off the track my powered engines run smooth again. I have two other Athearn...
  10. D

    black beauty sand blast as HO coal

    I was wondering what you think about using B.B. as coal for HO layouts. I am working on a coal/gravel pit area on my layout and where I work we have over 1000 pounds of the stuff at all times and with permission I can take as much as I need. To me it looks great for HO coal. What do you guys...
  11. D

    Ever run a "train set"train on your layout

    I had fun tonight. I guy I work with gave me a brand new never run Bachman train set from 1978. The engine is chrome with red paint it is a Sante Fe GP 40 I think.Anyway it came with the standard gondola,cattle car, coal car,box car and caboose. The engine had never been out of the box. I lubed...
  12. D

    Printing my own backdrops?

    Is there anyplace that I can go that has pictures/artwork that can be printed out using my computer and put them together to make a backdrop? I know I could look under nature photos an so on but I thought maybe someones knows of a web site that has this idea in mind. City...
  13. D

    John Allen GD are there any original cars/engines still around

    Just was wondering if there are any of his actual GD trains along with structures and so on still around?
  14. D

    Athearn C44-9W shell question

    frame I can not read the message. Email me at [email protected] Thanks!
  15. D

    Athearn C44-9W shell question

    frame Thats the thing, It would cost me more buying new parts then what I paid for it, plus I have been seeing these on ebay in new or like new condition for 25-40 with shipping. I only spent 26.00 on it. When I got it it worked great but when I was cleaning it I noticed that the coupler boxes...
  16. D

    Athearn C44-9W shell question

    frame It is a BNSF.It is the one with the smaller green bnsf logo on the side. It does not have any number on it.
  17. D

    Athearn C44-9W shell question

    I have an older blue box C44-9W with a good motor but the rear truck is is bad and the frame itself has stripped coupler boxes. I know I could order new parts but I really don't want to put that much into it. Other than getting another C44-9W parts engine(witch is what I have been looking for)...
  18. D

    Digitrax decoder DH121 will it work in dc mode?

    dc control Thanks for the reply, I went to the Digi. web site and from what I understood just like you said if it was enabled it would run. I took a chance not knowing really anything about dcc decoders. I put it on the tracks and it took off like a champ. Stops,starts and changes directions...
  19. D

    Digitrax decoder DH121 will it work in dc mode?

    I posted last week about an engine I had coming in the mail. I got it today and it is an Athearn engine with a Digitrax decoder model DH 121. I do not have a dcc controller yet. Can I run this engine with this decoder using a standard DC controller without "smoking" the decoder or will I ruin...
  20. D

    Maybe a dumb question but

    dcc I am not sure what decoder it has. I do not even have the engine yet. It is an Athearn GP38-2 and I believe that it is an older model. Should I even put it on the tracks? I am going to switch to DCC in a few months and I do not want to "smoke" the decoder. I guess the thing I should do...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top