Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. N

    Securing track to layout question

    Thanks, is there a specific type of nails that is better than the other so that it is less noticable?
  2. N

    Securing track to layout question

    From what ive been reading, you glue down the cork board, but what about the track? Do you use tiny nails, or is there a better way to secure it w/o putting the nails down?
  3. N

    Determining the era of your layout

    Thanks. Im not really looking for anything modern. More older style, but not so old that it looks like it sfrom the 30's or nothing. What years were considered the transition period?
  4. N

    Determining the era of your layout

    When determining what type of layout you are going to do, do you determine the era, or determine the line? I googled model railroad eras, and it seems like there is only several, and one of them spanned like 50 years...so I assume you pick a line?
  5. N

    Question about flex track and track connectors

    Thanks, when you say every other joint, like just say on the left side of the track, you would solder one then skip soldering one, then solder another and so on, or do you mean like you wouldnt solder a left and right side, then on the next piece you would solder both left and right side, then...
  6. N

    Question about flex track and track connectors

    I just purchased a 5/8th 4x8 sheet of plywood, hopefully that will work as a good base =) I plan on going around the edges on the bottom with 2x4 to make a base for it
  7. N

    hidden track switches

    Im purchasing some items for my first layout and I have a question about left/right hand switch tracks. On this one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-HO-Code-83-Manual-Left-Hand-Switch-ATL542_W0QQitemZ230393214865QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item35a4817791 it has the black box on...
  8. N

    Rail Joiners....Plastic or not?

    Should you go with plastic rail joiners? I plan on soldering the track, but then sliding plastic over that?
  9. N

    Railbed?

    Forgive me for my newness, but what is a ballast?
  10. N

    Question about flex track and track connectors

    So you should use joiners and then solder the joiners to the track, or no? Getting confused by some of the responces =) Thanks!
  11. N

    Question about flex track and track connectors

    Ahhh yeah I was checking out that thread after you pointed it out thanks. My question about that though is do you solder the inside/outside of the rail joints, or from the bottom? I assume you just put enough so that the wheels dont make a clacking noise etc
  12. N

    soldering track

    So im confused, you solder the bottom of the rail or the sides?
  13. N

    Question about flex track and track connectors

    I usually solder stuff everday so that isnt a problem =) But where are you soldering these at? The bottoms?
  14. N

    Question about flex track and track connectors

    Is flex track a good choice for a layout? Also the little pieces that connect the tracks together (name?) what is the best type/brand of those to use? I plan on using the nickle silver track
  15. N

    Best brand track and a couple other questions

    I read alot about "2 degree grade" "3 degree grade" etc for hills/track. How do you measure this to determine with degree grade it is? Is there an instrument you can get?
  16. N

    Best brand track and a couple other questions

    Thanks, if I use liquid nails, is that something that I should just put on the edges, or would it be ok to put it all over the boards?
  17. N

    Best brand track and a couple other questions

    what is the best product to use to put multiple styro boards on top of each other to keep them connected so they wont slide etc?
  18. N

    Best brand track and a couple other questions

    Gotcha, so I assume 83 is the way to go! What im wanting to do is build up the tracks and have sort of a canyon in the middle with a town etc. To build this up, I assume use some sort of styrofoam? Or I was at Home Depot today, and they have 4x8 sheets of foam insulation....does that...
  19. N

    Best brand track and a couple other questions

    Thanks for the replys, what is code 83 and code 100 track? Whats the difference?
  20. N

    Best brand track and a couple other questions

    Sorry, HO scale




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top