Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. N

    Cars derail on turnouts....

    Ok I think I have narrowed the problem down. I visited a local shop and picked up a rolling stock by atlas, its MUCH heavier than the rolling stock that I was using before, and also has metal wheels compared to plastic wheels on the ones that came with my set. Ran it behind the engine, and...
  2. N

    Cars derail on turnouts....

    They are atlas but not the snap track. Would prefer not to ditch them, just paid $60 for 5 of them yesterday hehe
  3. N

    Cars derail on turnouts....

    Also, how do you check the gauge between the rails? When I lay one upside down on top of each other, they appear to be the same size? Sorry if its a dumb question, im totally new to the hobby. Thanks!
  4. N

    Cars derail on turnouts....

    This ones a bauchmann rail blazer. I was watching it pretty closely, and it seems like the engine goes correctly, but the cars follow behind but want to go straight instead of actually turning with the engine. I know what the coupler is, but what is a plow?
  5. N

    Cars derail on turnouts....

    1) They are the same size track, all 83 gauge 2) They are brand new switches purchased today 3) no scale so cant do that heh 4) Whats a pilot? Turnout shouldnt be to tight, as its 2 turnouts basically connected to each other in parallel. Most cars are just standard sized boxcars...
  6. N

    Cars derail on turnouts....

    I have installed some turnouts onto a layout im building. The problem is, all my cars seem to derail when they get over them, but only while being pulled by the engine. If the turnout is going straight, they are fine, but when I switch them, they derail when going over them. Engine stays...
  7. N

    Bachmann EZ Command DCC control system question

    lol and @flyboy, I really have no clue, im new to the hobby and this one was in one of the store bought sets ive had for 10 years, its a cheapo one. Not buying anything good until I get more of my layout built up
  8. N

    Bachmann EZ Command DCC control system question

    Got it today and works good, though I dont have a dcc engine yet since im new to the hobby. Though now my engine has a high pitch sound coming out of it with this unit though
  9. N

    How far apart should 2 tracks be?

    Thanks, I dont plan on running any passenger cars and do plan on using a steam engine. As far as the 18.2/19.2 radius, im going to assume the 19.2 are pieces of flex track? As I can only find 15/18/22/25 radius on ebay
  10. N

    How far apart should 2 tracks be?

    Im not totally sure the radius, im new to this type of thing =) The outside goes to the edge of a 4x8 sheet, and im going based off this layout but not quite the same as below. I assuming the outside rails is the 22 radius. Im going with an older era (50's) so from what ive been reading the...
  11. N

    How far apart should 2 tracks be?

    I am planning on building a double row of tracks. What is the rule/how far apart should the tracks be so that they wont rub each other while passing by?
  12. N

    Track on wood expanding/contracting question

    If I were to cut some layout out of wood and prop it in the air, would using things like 2x4 pieces under the new wood/track hold up well? Say on a 4' straight section, place a 4' pieces of 2x4 down, then place a straight piece of say MDF board on top of it work good and stop...
  13. N

    Track on wood expanding/contracting question

    Selector, I dont think my carpentry skills would allow me to do something like that lol
  14. N

    Track on wood expanding/contracting question

    I could use that idea. What I was wanting was a double rail around a 4x8 with turnoffs in the mix, and kinda like a valley in between the circle. Hope that makes sense. What would be the best way of doing that? By a "spline" do you mean just kinda like a cut out a couple inches wide to put...
  15. N

    Track on wood expanding/contracting question

    Thanks, my layout is in the garage, with a pretty crappy garage door so it lets in alot of weather from outside. Im in KY, so it gets down in the 20 and 30's in winter, and today its 85. I plan on getting a new garage door before winter to help with drafts etc from inside there.
  16. N

    Track on wood expanding/contracting question

    Ive been reading on here and there is talk about wood expanding with humidity etc. My base layout is a 4x8 sheet of plywood. If I lay an inch or so of styro on top of that, do I have to worry about the track expanding/contracting etc? If I dont have any parts of the layout on the wood, but...
  17. N

    Bachmann EZ Command DCC control system question

    Sounds good, just want I wanted to know, thanks for the help =)
  18. N

    Bachmann EZ Command DCC control system question

    Ok cool....Im not using the easy track, I have atlas code 83, will it still work with that?
  19. N

    Bachmann EZ Command DCC control system question

    Sounds simple enough, think im going to go with that then! Do they connect to the track the same way I assume as just a normal DC power pack?
  20. N

    Bachmann EZ Command DCC control system question

    I have a question about this item. I am building my first layout and am new to this. Does this item have everything needed to run a dcc layout, and all I have to do is connect the control to the track for it to work? Is it like just a normal DC power pack you just plug it up and go? Thanks...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top