Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Aarons72s

    Does anyone know what company built this?

    Go ahead and paint them. I do it to all my athearns. I usually use testors enamel for handrails and fine artist brushes. Go to walmart to get the brushes. You can get a large pack of fine detail paint brushes for next to nothing. They are in the crafts department. Oh btw looks great. :)
  2. Aarons72s

    A Newbie's Bloody Thumb

    I use a fine pair of angled needle nose plyers, made for installing electronic parts. My dad got them for me when he worked at att. The fine ones are hard to find but you can find the larger ones avaliable at most tool stores. They might work. With the fine ones I just grip the sharp end and...
  3. Aarons72s

    John Allen GD are there any original cars/engines still around

    Wow those pictures were sad. The fire sure didn't leave much. Thanks for the link to the pics.
  4. Aarons72s

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    I agree. Cars with metal wheels seem to track alot better.
  5. Aarons72s

    John Allen GD are there any original cars/engines still around

    I thought there was only one locomotive that survived, an 0-8-0 switcher? It belongs to one of the staff at MR. I haven't heard of any others. On a side note I have never seen any pics of the aftermatth of the fire. Has anyone seen any?
  6. Aarons72s

    Another newbie Atlas turnout ?

    Yes atlas code 100 switches arent the greatest. They are in need of a major retooling as they are a fairly old design. There code 83 ones arent to bad. The only thing bad about the code 83 ones are the sheet metal points and sometimes some electrical issues. As for the ones by peco, as suggested...
  7. Aarons72s

    Salvage Yard Photos?

    Alcomotive, great but sad photo. Where was it taken at and do you have more? Most of the ones I have seen, photo wise, is waycross georgia, silvis illinois and newark nj. Look up silvis and waycross at www.railpictures.net . They have quite a few there. They have a couple for newark nj. I...
  8. Aarons72s

    Athearn moving to China?

    Wow I hope that is true.
  9. Aarons72s

    Code 83 track

    Atlas does sale its sectional track in bulk, at least they do acording to there catalog. You can go to www.atlasrr.com and download the track catalog or just look around there and you might find the info just looking on there. I think toy train heaven stocked some of the atlas track like that...
  10. Aarons72s

    Metal wheels vs plastic

    I just started converting my athearn rolling stock with atlas trucks and wheels. Boy a difference between night and day. They roll better and track better. Not the cheapest upgrade but deffinenttly worthwhile. Yes they are noiser but I like the sound.
  11. Aarons72s

    So Many Questions

    I use cork roadbed on all my layouts. Never had any problem with it and I did not soak it in water either. And mine is curved down to 18" radius. I glue it down with plain old white glue, the stuff you send with kids to school. To hold the cork in place until the glue dries I use good old push...
  12. Aarons72s

    Custom Painter needed

    Wow! Never heard of pine sol doing that before. I got one of those old lima c420's got to remember not to ever dip it in that. Thanks for the tip and sorry about your locomotives. They really need to sell extra shells for those old c420's. They were never that bad of a engine. Oh here is another...
  13. Aarons72s

    Custom Painter needed

    Just a thought. I have painted a few cars and trucks, fullsize. And when it comes to black straight gloss black rarely looks good except for lacquer. I would shoot it with a flat black or a dull black and then clear coat it. It would then look great.
  14. Aarons72s

    Athearn moving to China?

    I have not been real pleased with athearn the last few years, and I grew up with there kits. I have been putting there kits together since I was about seven. And kept building them up till about 2003. After which they seemed to not care anymore about there bb kits. I liked them cause they were...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top