Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    Decoder for Athearn Genesis MP15AC

    You might want to spend some time reading at Tony's Train Exchange http://www.tonystrains.com/ or at Litchfield Station http://litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm Both are excellent places to buy DCC stuff and to learn about what's available. To specifically answer your...
  2. S

    Decoder for Athearn Genesis MP15AC

    I have a Athearn Genesis MP15AC that I have installed a QSI Quantum Revolution in. Revolutions are lighboard style decoders, so installation is not difficult at all. Remove the existing lightboard and install the new sound decoder. Two things should be noted. In order to mount a OVAL speaker in...
  3. S

    Need OregonRail parts

    http://www.1stplacehobbies.com/default.asp They have some of the Oregon stuff, although they don't have the #104 either. I guess if you really wanted the 3 light target, you could get a kit and not use it all. Seems odd they aren't answering email. A few months back, I bought a signal and...
  4. S

    Need my first decoder

    From what I have read, the Revolution - U (universal) is NOT shipping yet. I think there's a note at Tony's that says they got in a jam with a supplier (supplier went under and they had to find a new source) and it may be a while till it does ship. The Revolution - A (lightboard) is shipping...
  5. S

    Kato sd9043 shell removal

    Go to the Kato USA website and download the instructuion sheet. http://www.katousa.com/cgi-bin/dl/dl.pl?dl.mif,HO-parts-sd8090mac.pdf It tells you exactly how to take the body off. You do have to get the screws out of the coupler boxes first though.
  6. S

    Replacement parts

    According to Wikipedia the Dash 9 had 42 inch wheels. Not sure about your other question. I have put wheels on several OLDER Athearn locos and alway used the half axles. The wheel/axle is pressed into the gear. In some cases the fit was too loose, so a tiny drop of acc to make sure it stays...
  7. S

    Looking for a replacement motor

    Although the Aline stuff is excellent, it is fairly high priced. Dig around more. First thing, MEASURE the existing motor. Length, width, height and shaft diameter. Convert all of this to mm because most of what you find will have metric specs. Kato sells a good motor that can be readily...
  8. S

    Track switch cause coil bunred.

    If you use a capacitive discharge unit to power the switch, it is a little more likely not to burn it out. The CD unit will only give a very short burst of power to throw the switch. These units can be bought fairly reasonably or a little searching will find diagrams to build one.
  9. S

    Dh165a0

    Here's an Athearn SD40T-2 with a Soundbug. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGM1ifphZU What I liked: Easy install. Digitrax decoder gives excellent motor control. At least Digitrax now says it's okay to use 8 ohm speakers, instead of the 16 ohm they used to want. What I didn't like: I...
  10. S

    Mail Order Electrical Supplies....

    Some stuff can be had for good prices online, leds, connectors and smaller stuff. Keep in mind: wire is HEAVY, so shipping charges might be a little high. Factor that in to compare buying wire locally. For most stuff, Digikey or Mouser are good places. I've bought speakers from Mouser twice...
  11. S

    New To HO DCC

    TCS (makes decoders) has a lot of installl tips and photos on their site. http://www.tcsdcc.com/ Tony's Train Exchange and Litchfield Station are two that sell most anything you'd need for DCC. Both have loads of info on their sites. http://litchfieldstation.com/lobby/index.htm...
  12. S

    First steps into dcc sound.

    http://litchfieldstation.com/lobby/index.htm Litchfield Station says they also ship International. I buy nearly all my DCC stuff from them, their service has been excellent. Prices are pretty good too.
  13. S

    First steps into dcc sound.

    Take a look at the new QSI Quantum Revolution. They have just recently been released and may still be in short supply, though. They are a lightboard format, so installation is very easy in the Kato or Atlas. Just remove the exisiting lightboard and drop in the QSI. Kato has a speaker location...
  14. S

    NCE Smart Booster is Trash

    I've read this post several times and just don't quite follow. I agree, normally whatever brand we happen to like and purchase is "the best". But here, it's almost as if you are looking for and excuse/reason to switch brands. Why you wouldn't call or email NCE totally escapes me. The biggest...
  15. S

    Need HELP with DN163PS decoder

    Check page 6 of the instruction sheet on the Digitrax site. It shows pads on the board that looks like a place to solder an additional blue wire. Wires: Red and Black - track power Orange and Grey - motor White - Headlight Yellow - Rear light BLUE - Common for ALL light functions Green...
  16. S

    Soundtraxx DSD-101LC Owners

    Make sure to download the LC Manual and Technical Reference from the Soundtraxx site. The instructions that come with the decoders are a little sparse. Page 26 in the Manual has some instructions on Rule 17. I always, at least initially, use the programming track so I know what value was in...
  17. S

    Soundtraxx DSD-101LC Owners

    Not sure where you read 4 on the web site. I have 2 LC101 decoders. One 1st gen EMD, one 2nd gen. Both decoders only have headlight and rear light outputs. The outputs can be configured to do strobes and such, but there are only 2. From what I read, the board replacement (LC100) style have...
  18. S

    Soundtraxx DSD-101LC Owners

    The LC decoder only has 2 light outputs. They can be configured as headlights or to do various strobe effects. But it's an either or deal. I have one in a SW1500, but I only have a headlight and a rooftop strobe. Right now, Soundtrax really doesn't have any spectacular diesel decoders. You...
  19. S

    Switches,toggles, control panels.. ahh!!!!

    Exactly. Then to connect more switches, just jumper the center terminal of the spdt c/off MOM to the rest of the switches. Depending on how the turnouts are on your layout, you could jumper the center terminals of the switch machines, or just run seperate wires to each machine.
  20. S

    Switches,toggles, control panels.. ahh!!!!

    The single Atlas slide pushbutton type control? Basically, yes, it's the same. Only difference is the Atlas switch makes the center buss for you, with spdt c/off mom, you wire the center.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top