Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. E

    Scanners for Railfanning

    At the time, the opinions were about 50-50 but my experience with that RS scanner mirrored other peoples' so I was glad I was able to return it. It was definitely programmed correctly - I mean, I'd stop the thing on the NS FRED channel and be hearing everybody's scanner but mine. I didn't...
  2. E

    Atlas Hierarchy

    Atlas now has some tooling that is 24 years old... so there are a bunch of different generations and as to what line they currently fall in... that depends. The old Roco line is no longer part of Atlas. This would be the 1974-75 SD24, SD35, GP38, GP40, and FP7. The Kato line - RS3...
  3. E

    No cartoon......

    The last funny MR cartoon - as in, I actually laughed at - was in 1975 or so during the "Convoy" CB craze, of a "cop diesel" hiding on a siding behind a billboard to catch a speeding train. Last one before that was the famous "passenger train in the shower" which was truly funny. It was on...
  4. E

    Scanners for Railfanning

    I haven't purchased a new scanner in probably 12-13 years. When I bought my first scanner I picked one at Radio Shack. One of the regulars at my weekend train watching spot programmed it for me. I sat all afternoon and listed to everybody else's scanners go off, while mine barely blipped. It...
  5. E

    Help on Passenger Car Model

    It looks to be a business car, and one that has been modernized with the sealed windows, etc. The odds of finding a model of it are pretty slim, but - it really just depends. Models of one-off cars are done all the time if the owner of a brass importer takes a liking to it. NKP Car Co. is a...
  6. E

    Accurail or Yardmaster cars ?

    Both are simplified kits with molded on details. I would say they are about equal in overall detail level and similarly priced. The Blueprint series is high end and quite a bit more expensive but worth it. If you are looking for kits, the Blueprint series won't cost you that much more than...
  7. E

    Semi-Newbie Here

    I have fond memories of the "red box era" which was roughly 1960 to 1970, IIRC. I'm pretty sure they had gone to the brown box by 1971. The early brown box was the same as red box, but quicky the quality declined. Most of the original Tyco stuff went back to Mantua, and stuff under the Tyco...
  8. E

    Semi-Newbie Here

    The differences from one brand to the next will become more apparent once you start operating them. Simply too much to go into it here in a simple reply. Tyco has been out of the model train business for a long time; their stuff from the 1960s has some collector appeal and it's durable if...
  9. E

    In 10 Years

    I think one could certainly predict certain trends will continue. 10 years isn't that much time. The main thing to come about since 1998 is the proliferation of sound. It existed prior to that but there was no RTR sound to speak of; today every major manufacturer has gotten into the act...
  10. E

    It's my own fault.....

    It's piled up with every RR magazine from the last 5+ years. IN transition... Actually I really did build that 4740 on this bench. Just last week. And painted it on that table to the right. Andy
  11. E

    It's my own fault.....

    Here's one up to the minute: As you can see, my organizational system is really coming together..... "in transition"..... heh heh.... Andy
  12. E

    It's my own fault.....

    Ohh... sorry, that was my old workbench at my old house circa 2001. Very messy. Here's a more recent photo. Well not that recent but it's closer to my current setup: I'll try to get a more up-to-date pic tonite.... Andy
  13. E

    It's my own fault.....

    What you need is a system - a nice, orderly bench will help productivity: Andy
  14. E

    Broadway Locos vs Atlas Locos

    BLI and Atlas use the same sound system (QSI) so if that is your main focus, they are going to be roughly equivalent. But there have been several generations since both got into the sound business and you get what you get. OTOH if you're interested in the model itself, quality of the...
  15. E

    I Finished a Tangent 4740

    You know.... I use Future mainly on window glass, and I've used it as a gloss overcoat on some attempts at stainless passenger cars but never thought of using it as an acrylic barrier. I think it will do the job perfectly. It sprays without any thinning and lays on easily. Not impossible to...
  16. E

    I Finished a Tangent 4740

    But it's also too nice of a car to end up as an oddball... I've got 9 more like it to build! I'm not going to trash it as to how they look today, just how it would have looked in 1975. Andy
  17. E

    I Finished a Tangent 4740

    I'm going to let the paint cure up a bit, and probably give it a semi-gloss overcoat (decals are uncoated in these pics) and let it get nice and solid before I go at it with weathering. I like using oils for weathering but they work best on top of acrylics - in other words most factory paint...
  18. E

    I Finished a Tangent 4740

    Kit built with Dan Kohlberg decals... 100% made in USA! Andy
  19. E

    nw caboose 555584

    The white propane tank appears on the P (pool) versions of the caboose. As far as I know, any C31 that got repainted to the red NW scheme were also equipped with propane tanks and other stuff that made them acceptable for pool service. My propane tank is nothing but a chunk of Plastruct...
  20. E

    nw caboose 555584

    If you are talking about the 518595 - that is a Kadee 58, the first version of it which had a gap in the knuckle. Apparently they felt this was necessary to maintain compatibility with the #5 but it was rather unsightly. It was around for a short time, then they redesigned the 58 without this...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top