Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. E

    model-train-help

    I have nothing against anyone seeking to make a living, or even a hobbyist looking to make some extra money to support his hobby. There is room for everybody, but I have a problem with people who want to drag everybody they meet into the for-profit aspect of the hobby. You watch your friends...
  2. E

    Poetry in motion......1927 steam locomotive!

    Watch that video around 1:35 and you'll never be impressed with any HO steam sound again. Andy
  3. E

    another ebay ?

    There is no way to answer this. You aren't buying from ebay, you're buying from an individual or a business and how it's packed is up to them. I've rarely had any problems with packing on train stuff - either buying or selling. The only time anybody ever claimed anything I sold was damaged...
  4. E

    The Diesel Detailer

    You gotta send plain text. I'm working on handling that a different way - I can get an HTML and email format stripper that will work on Linux. I'll look at the logs and see what you're using and maybe come up with a workaround for you. In the mean time there's more info here...
  5. E

    N&W SD40-2 construction

    From this view they're Anvilheads. Andy
  6. E

    N&W SD40-2 construction

    http://www.r390a.com/RailFan/images/NS234.jpg :) Andy
  7. E

    DCC? newbie here

    I have vinyl, CD, cassettes, reel to reel - Wollensak and 1950s Webcor mono, Teac 1980s big decks, a Fostex 8-track (not your basic car 8-track). And DCC. But I also have some 1950s Marn-O-Power throttles too. They have enough guts to run those old DC-71 motors. I'm just not into having...
  8. E

    Sd-30?

    I have always suspected they did something like that, but this is the first confirmation of that theory after all these years. I always got a kick out of articles in magazines stating bluntly "The N&W ran their locomotives long hood forward" when the article itself shows 50% of the pictures...
  9. E

    N&W SD40-2 construction

    Eleven. 1625-1635. October 1973 delivery. Andy
  10. E

    DCC? newbie here

    I still buy CDs. I only download MP3s for stuff that is not available any other way. I guess it has been a while since I bought a prerecorded cassette tape. Andy
  11. E

    Sd-30?

    The N&W's high nose locomotives up through SD40-2 #1635 had dual control stands. Which meant that any of these locos could lead running either direction with engineer facing forward on the right side of the loco. The dual control stands made the locos more expensive and the cab more crowded...
  12. E

    DCC? newbie here

    The other nice thing about DCC is if you already have a layout with multiple blocks and cab selectors, converting to DCC goes about like this: 1. Disconnect all DC cabs. 2. Connect DCC track output to Cab A. 3. Set every selector to Cab A. Yer done... and if you use radio, don't even need to...
  13. E

    DCC? newbie here

    Yep and you can have a head-on collision too, just like real! I think it was about 30 minutes before I had my first wreck. At least within 30 minutes after I had installed my second decoder. DCC is great, I wouldn't go back... but my main point is that if you're just starting out, you...
  14. E

    Speaking of Ebay, man some people have lost it!!!

    Wow. $300+ for a freight car and you don't even get Kadees. Andy
  15. E

    Intermountain Trouble

    I don't think it should be a problem with the 4650 - it's fairly new. The 4750 and the cylindrical have been made for 15+ years now and the vast majority of them have the crappy twisty-flex trucks. Andy
  16. E

    DCC? newbie here

    Digital Command Control Conventional model trains run off direct current to the rails. To go faster, you increase the voltage to the rails. To slow down, decrease. To reverse, throw a switch that reverses the polarity of the rails and the train runs the opposite direction. Simple, but if...
  17. E

    Athearn Genesis SD45-2 problems

    While I'm not a huge Digitrax fan, in this case I doubt they're the problem. The Genesis MRC sound decoders do NOT have a good reputation. I have several of these SD45-2s and they are all flawless. And I bought the non-sound versions and put my own (non-sound) decoders in them. I wouldn't...
  18. E

    Intermountain Trouble

    Intermountain's trucks on the big hoppers (the 4750 and the Canadian cylindrical) are Junk with a capital J and have been since day one. I think they may have finally gone to a solid truck with better wheel sets but that was fairly recently. If the trucks are the stupid "equalized" type, they...
  19. E

    The Diesel Detailer

    Randy, are you a member of the diesel list? On Monday it will be 10 years old... hard to believe. It's not a yahoo group or a web forum like this one, although I'd like to make it web-available some day. It's an old fashioned mailing list like a yahoo group but without the advertising...
  20. E

    C420 Progress

    I love cameras of all kinds, unfortunately as pieces of jewelry go they are heavy to wear and a bit expensive to keep on hand! I went on a camera binge in the early 90s, ended up with a lot of vintage Nikon gear including several Fs, F2, a Leica M3, and my workhorse Nikon F4s and N90. I...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top