Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. C

    Need Kato SD70MAC rear headlight light pipe

    I was in the process of putting in a Tsunami sound decoder in my new Kato SD70MAC and I had shortened the rear headlight light pipe so I could fit a 16 x 35mm oval speaker over the rear trucks and was having fitment issues. Well I wasn't paying attention and upon removing it for the 3rd or...
  2. C

    UP SD70M with angled radiators

    Why does this SD70M have angled radiator grills like a GP40X? I never noticed one before until I saw UP #5049 on a youtube video. Was this a regular option? http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=136252&nseq=2 Anybody make a HO shell like this? I guess you could kit bash a Athearn GP40X...
  3. C

    2005 Ac4400 Athearn with old style trucks

    I didn't notice any height difference between the motors. The 2005 has the new style hex shaft drive so I think they are the same motor. Not sure if there is any real difference in height between the BB motor and hex drive one. I know on the GP38-2 there isn't enough room for the light...
  4. C

    2005 Ac4400 Athearn with old style trucks

    Yeah, I know that the holes are there but the socket isn't there. That's really not that big of a deal because you still have the JST 9 pin. I was just pointing out that thee was a different light circuit board. I like the newer style trucks because of the wires and because it locates on...
  5. C

    2005 Ac4400 Athearn with old style trucks

    I just bought a brand new Athearn AC4400 GECX # 1049 RTR. According to the Athearn website this model was announced in 2005. I had bought a UP AC4400 UP #5978 last year and according to the Athearn website it was announced to be released in 2008. The two are different in two ways...
  6. C

    Tsunami install into a Kato C44-9W

    I just got done installing a Soundtraxx Tsunami into Kato C44-9W. First I removed the couplers and then the shell. Here is what the factory light board looks like. Next remove the light board. I then trimmed the truck lead wires a little over an inch. Mount the Tsunami decoder...
  7. C

    Blueline Paragon upgrade?

    This should be doable, really it's up to Broadway whether or not they will sell you the Paragon 2 decoder separately. Some of the Blue lines are over $100 cheaper than Paragon so a lot of people will just add a $20 DCC decoder to the Blueline. I have one of their 4-8-4 ATSF Steamers in the the...
  8. C

    The great Tsunami Mystery.

    I'll help if I can. I think you were the one who posted a comment on my youtube video. How do you have the headlights and FX5-FX6 wired? Are we working with incandescent lights or LEDs? If you have tried every CV value then it could be the way you have the lights wired. Make us a wiring...
  9. C

    My Athearn diesel roster

    I just clicked on your Trucklover's Index Thread, wow you have a lot of diesels. You have a very nice collection. I see that you have a lot of Genesis SD70s are you happy with the way they run? I do think they look great but I was disappointed in the quality of the trucks and lack of weight...
  10. C

    My Athearn diesel roster

    The oldest in this shot is my BN #2264 GP38-2 which is from around 1984. This loco is so quiet and smooth compared to all my other Blue Boxes. The UP #53 GP50 is from around 1990 and was always noisy. It came with cast brass flywheels. I purchased the BN orange tiger face GP50 off eBay in...
  11. C

    My first experience with Athearn's RTR line

    I drilled out the fake ditch lights and installed micro 1.5v bulbs when I installed my Tsunami sound decoder. Click this link to read more.
  12. C

    Athearn SD40 and MRC 1634 sound decoder

    I think they sound great. Your limited in how much bass you can have with a speaker that small. I consider it in scale sound as deep sub woofer bass would seem wrong for such a small model. There is a link to a YouTube video of the SD40 in action running around my Atlas True-Track temp layout...
  13. C

    Athearn SD40 and MRC 1634 sound decoder

    I installed a MRC 1634 sound decoder into a Athearn SD40. This is basically the same install as I did with a Tsunami and a RTR AC4400. The step by step is very similar to this thread Tsunami and a RTR AC4400 The difference is that I removed the rear weight and screwed a piece of sheet metal...
  14. C

    Athearn AC4400 and Tsunami AT1000

    The athearn board is just a light circuit board. I understand what you mean though since it has the both 9 pin and 8 pin decoder sockets. You could buy the regular Tsunami universal and plug it into this board. I used the Atlas drop-in style board for a few reasons: 1. I wanted to run...
  15. C

    Athearn AC4400 and Tsunami AT1000

    I upgraded my Athearn RTR AC4400 with a Soundtraxx Tsunami AT1000 decoder. I chose the Atlas drop-in style board because it's only $80 and has support for the Athearn 1.5v lights. There is a Genesis drop-in version of the Tsunami and it may work as well. To mount the decoder in place of...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top