Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. eric2448

    Dust and lint removal... suggestions wanted

    Hello all, Im back in modeling mode and have come across a problem. I painted and decaled a number of rolling stock for a project Ive been working on for the past 2 years. The bodies were sitting out in the open and have acquired some dust and lint over the past 6 months. I didnt get around to...
  2. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Nothing to update at the moment, but I thought I would share about my trip to the MRR Museum. They are having their official circus day tomorrow and I wanted to avoid the masses on a weekend so the wife and I went today. They also have a circus rails exhibit on display for the next couple of...
  3. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    There are a couple on the market. I personally don't have experience with either on so I couldn't say if one is more effective than the other. Which one have you used Matt? http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Reboxx-HO-T-100-Exxact-Socket-Tool-p/rbx-t100.htm...
  4. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Thanks for the info Matt, Ill have to pick up a truck turner when I buy the wheels. Your pictures are great, Ive been to your page a few times and enjoy the photos you post. I havent had much time to work on things as of late. Im hoping to put a flat together soon so I can test my idea full...
  5. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Yes, I will share it here once I am satisfied with the results. Im to the point now where I need to assemble a flat to test it running on various grades loaded with the heaviest wagons. My goal is to make these fully removable without having to sacrifice the appearance of the unloaded car. I...
  6. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Thanks Johnny. Ive been researching wheels for some time now and it seems like the Intermountains are the way to go. Good to know you have used them with success on the Walthers cars. Im currently taking a break from paint and decals to work on a way to secure the wagons to the flats without...
  7. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Nice update Johnny, I look forward to hearing about your upcoming show! I have a question for you or Matt... Do you replace the stock plastic wheels that came with the car kits with metal sets? If so, which brand do you use?
  8. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Nice pictures Johnny! Hope you get well soon.
  9. eric2448

    Walthers Great Circus Train Accessories

    Ive seen quite a few on ebay recently, most sell for some big bucks. I think Sparkling Star Models has released a few and currently show in stock. They look the same, but maybe not.
  10. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    This thread is too far down... maybe this can pick it up again. Here are a couple of links: Some pictures from the CMB Convention in Baraboo. This site is a circus model blog with a new entry almost every day. Its pretty neat. http://circusmodellbau.blogspot.com/ Next up I found out today that...
  11. eric2448

    BLI 4-8-4 Northern

    How has your fix been working out Ken, is it running any better? I've had a few issues with mine but nothing that makes me want to send it in to BLI for who knows how long. Mine doesn't like it when I program a long address. After I shut the system off then on again it wont respond but I can...
  12. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Good afternoon all, its been a while. Not much to share with my projects. How about anyone else? Did you make it out to the convention Johnny? Very interesting info on the lost cage wagon Joe, I wonder if Johnny ever found out any more info...
  13. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Wow, that is amazing. Such an incredible project, massive scale, I wouldnt know where to start. Its good to know it has a good home in a place where people can enjoy and appreciate the work that went into it.
  14. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Im not sure finding the roof line will be easy if possible at all on a factory model. I would imagine that they would have possibly been modified with the rest of the car. Im a fan of the Walthers Heavyweights, Ive seen the baggage cars going for around $25 on closeout. Sounds like a fun...
  15. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Ive seen a series of videos on youtube that one of the family members put together of the entire show. Very nice set up, wish I could see it in person. Good to see another fine update from you Johnny, the lighting looks nice.
  16. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    I successfully converted a couple of the Walthers stock cars from a press fit coupler box to a screw. I used a 1-72 Kadee tap set with 1/8" 1-72 screws. I might try a slightly longer screw as I drilled and tapped the hole through the entire floor of the car. I still get a good 3-4 turns before...
  17. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Here is a neat video I came across a while back. I believe this display has been set up at shows in the Salt Lake area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLMwGGcYF3I
  18. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    If you have pictures of your train running, post them up. I too went with the Walthers coaches, they do run well. It looks like we're trying to solve the same problem with the same solution. Ive been trying to come up with a way to secure the wagons with magnets. I have a few ideas but Im not...
  19. eric2448

    Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

    Wow, Matt, those look great! And welcome to the forums! Good to have another circus modeler on here. Im guessing youre using Walthers Heavyweights... I like the finish on them. what do you use as a clear coat after the decals are set? As for my project, your decals are working great. I was...
  20. eric2448

    Stripping paint from plastic models

    91% alcohol works well on a number of manufacturer paint jobs, although a 20 year old factory paint job I tried to remove was quite stubborn. Im guessing that most factory paint jobs are acrylic because 91 wont work on enamel. Superclean works extremely well at removing enamel paint but doesnt...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top