Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    Decoder for Athearn BB Trainmaster?

    I've acquired an HO Athearn Blue Box H24-66 Train Master and want to put a basic decoder in it. Has anyone had any experiences with this engine. How difficult is it to install a decoder? I assume it needs to be hard wired. I've installed several decoders in the past, but am always a little timid...
  2. S

    Any ho clubs in maine?

    model railroad clubs in Maine To expand on the Maine thing, are there any clubs or HO modelers in the general Rockland area? It would be great to share interests with people in this area. Dave
  3. S

    Walthers backorders.

    From my experience, they have always come through with the back orders. It may be quite a while until you see one. One of mine was months old and I had forgotten about it.
  4. S

    Mainline Modeler Magazine

    Larry, thanks for the response. You're a lucky guy to have bought them when you did. I really didn't expect to hear that there was a comparable magazine out there, but had to ask. You're right that MRRF is a great source of excellent information, and the price is right.
  5. S

    Mainline Modeler Magazine

    I recently got back into model railroading after a spell of 20 to 30 years. I have many old issues of Mainline Modeler magazine that I prize for their content and quality. Does anyone publish a magazine of comparable content and quality today? I recently bought several more issues on ebay...
  6. S

    Walthers Trainline FA-1 Decoder installation

    Thanks Adam!! I did the wiring as you suggested, and it worked perfectly. You were right. It wasn't difficult. Just needed a helping hand. Dave
  7. S

    Walthers Trainline FA-1 Decoder installation

    Hi all, I recently acquired a Walthers Trainline HO FA-1 and want to install a DCC decoder, and then some detailing. I have installed various decoders in DCC ready Atlas and Proto engines, but never one this "basic". I have a Digitrax DH123D decoder that I hope to use. Can anyone give me...
  8. S

    August RMC

    RMC August I got mine about 10 days ago. They've been OK the last couple of months.
  9. S

    Best Quality HO Steam

    Thanks for everyone's interesting answers. I tend to agree with Alan that the newer HO steam offerings favor large layouts, of which mine is not one. Dave
  10. S

    Best Quality HO Steam

    I'm in the market for a good quality 2-8-0 or 4-6-2 HO steam locomotive with DCC capabilities, with or without sound. It seems that Bachmann has a good selection, but I'm wondering if there are more or better choices then Bachmann. I have favored Atlas or Proto diesel products so far. Any...
  11. S

    Removing original lettering on Loco

    Thanks for your suggestions. I tried Fred's idea of fine wet sandpaper. With much caution, it worked very well for this application. I will repaint.
  12. S

    Removing original lettering on Loco

    I recently acquired a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 with C&O markings. I tried to remove the Chesapeake and Ohio lettering from the sides of the tender with ELO. No matter how much I applied or how long I waited or brushed, nothing happened. I don't want to ruin the plastic or the finish. I can...
  13. S

    Decoders for old HO Atlas RS3?

    George, Thanks for the info. I'll check them out as well. Does anyone have experience with the sound bug install, etc? Dave
  14. S

    Decoders for old HO Atlas RS3?

    Thanks! That's the info I was looking for. It's hard to find the right decoder among the miriad out there, especially for older equipment.
  15. S

    Decoders for old HO Atlas RS3?

    Hi all, I have a question about decoders. I have recently gone from DC to an NCE PowerCab DCC setup. I have two old HO Atlas/Kato RS3s with can motors and two flywheels that I want to install decoders in. They've always run great on DC. Sound would be a plus, but not imperative. I'm more...
  16. S

    Old United Brass 2-8-0 problem

    You guys are awesome! I spent yesterday afternoon troubleshooting the engine from one end to the other based on the information received from my posting. I finally got it running. It appears to have been the contact between the loco frame and drawbar (so simple). Also, I resoldered the wire...
  17. S

    Old United Brass 2-8-0 problem

    Thanks Jim and HTH. Being able to use this forum is very helpful, because I live in a part of Maine that is almost two hours away from the nearest model railroading related hobby shop or club. Dave
  18. S

    Old United Brass 2-8-0 problem

    Thanks for the suggestions. Should have thought of that. Been a long time away. How can I determine the appropriate can motor? NWSL?
  19. S

    Old United Brass 2-8-0 problem

    Hi all, I'm getting back into the hobby after about 35 years. Boy, what great changes from the old days! I have many older HO locomotives from a Mantua 0-4-0 and 2-8-2, to Atlas RS-3, AHM RS-2, Tenshodo SD-9 and United 2-8-0. After light tune-ups, they run amazingly well considering their age...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top