Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    My Strip mine project

    Looking really good. A clever idea, too, for an odd space. Joe
  2. J

    Undecided

    You may be right. I was in Virginia City the other day taking pictures near the old freight depot, and it looks like it could be modeled on a narrow shelf, using flats for the more distant buildings farther up the hill. A few very recognizable buildings might need to be scratchbuilt, but that's...
  3. J

    Undecided

    Some good ideas in this thread, that have helped me think this through a little more. I've reluctantly decided to scratch the E&P, C&C, and NCNG off the list at this time. The narrow gauge locos from the 1870s and 80s that I've found are all a bit too expensive for right now. I've therefore...
  4. J

    Undecided

    Chris, I mentioned Candelaria because I've always loved the C&C, and was Candelaria was the only location they served that could remotely be described as "urban" even by the standards of 1880s Nevada (and I'll admit it's still a bit of a stretch compared to Virginia City, or even Eureka). I...
  5. J

    Undecided

    When I mentioned "old west" boom towns I didn't mean to imply anything like Petticoat Junction. Eureka in 1878 had no less than sixteen smelters processing a total of 745 tons of ore per day. Virginia City at its peak was the second largest city west of the Rocky Mountains (San Francisco was the...
  6. J

    Undecided

    Good point. I know the bay area has light rail, and I believe Sacramento does as well. L.A. has Metro Rail which, unfortunately, does not intersect the aforementioned LAJ, but does cross the BNSF Harbor Subdivision near Malabar yard (which, now that I think of it, is small enough that it...
  7. J

    Undecided

    I've got a back issue of Warbonnet that describes the LAJ, and it's definitely on the short list if I go with era 3 or 4. (It was created sometime in the 1920s IIRC.) Eras 2 and 3 would allow me to include an electric streetcar line, even if I only have the space for a non-operating scenic...
  8. J

    Undecided

    I've managed to negotiate space for a first layout, and now I can't make up my mind what to do with it. I know that I want to model a real railroad (not freelanced), and I want an urban/industrial setting in the far west - California, Nevada, or possibly Arizona. What I can't decide is which...
  9. J

    HOn3 Anyone?

    These are models of the ex-FCC cars, right? Thanks for letting me know about them.
  10. J

    HOn3 Anyone?

  11. J

    Is this reasonably possible?

    Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Since my first post I also stumbled over this Baldwin 4-4-0 in HOn3: http://psc1.virtualfocus.com/MMI%20DRG%20class%2042%204-4-0%20HOn3.html I don't know how they run, but the 8-18C is definitely at the top of my "most wanted NG loco" list. Joe
  12. J

    Is this reasonably possible?

    Is there a realistic way to get small old time (say, 1860-90) locomotives in HO or HOn3 that run well, and are equipped with both DCC and sound? Brass or plastic are both acceptable, and I'm not afraid of kits or kitbashing (I've been a military modeler since I was a child), but scratchbuilding...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top