ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
L
Found this thread, here's an update.
Track was replaced with all nickel silver EZ Track. There were a couple different variations tried, settled on this one which allows both a dual round and round continuous run, or a single twice around configuration which I seem to have a soft spot for...
-
L
Here are some pics from today, just flipped on the lights and stretched out my B&O passenger set..... I have a problem with my little Spektrum B&O f7B unit that is on the grass there next to the yard, keeps losing electrical contact especially in turns. Looks clean so I don't know what the...
-
L
Yeah still going strong, however the summer time hobbies (RC cars, planes, boats, we love RC) have taken over for now. But we still sit and watch the trains go around sometimes. Once the days start getting colder and shorter again I'm sure we will be paying more attention to the layout...
-
L
Here's about 5 minutes of watching the trains run around in circles, lol.
You get an idea of how bright the LED headlight is in the F7. Looks cool in the Conrail diesel too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z__ErYjZUX4
-
L
Yeah that's correct, you need a resistor in line with the LED. The ones I used were from a defective accent light strip for automotive use so they were already wired up to operate on 12V. Actually, I have found that they illuminate to almost full brightness as soon as the loco starts to...
-
L
Thanks guys! I'm impressed, no complaints about the Power Loc track, or the track too close to the edge, etc! :)
We're having a great time with it. Hopefully she stays interested, but if not, I already know where I will put the interchange tracks to the next 'module'. :)
Been...
-
L
And finally (for today) a 'night' shot looking down Main Street. :)
-
L
And here's the layout in it's current state. I just scored a big box of new-in-box buildings, bridges, tanks, etc, so we'll be remodeling soon. I think in the tradition of actual life, the farm in the background might be buldozed for a strip mall.... lol. Funny how that works.
Anywhere...
-
L
Here's my little co-engineer during one of our sessions. She loves the trains. :)
-
L
Started to add some 'scenery'. I decided to keep it very simple, flat layout, painted roads, etc. The 'next' one might be more detailed..... :)
This life like paper is awesome, I just used a straight edge razor blade to scrape the grass off the area where I wanted blacktop. Also saved all...
-
L
At this point, a few months into the adventure, I found the amazing Xtrkcad software, and proceeded to spend a couple weeks planning out the next and what will be the final (for a while anyway) revision to the little layout. I wanted to run two mains, and also be able to park a third long...
-
L
Eventually decided to make it more interesting and laid down a folded figure eight (at least that's what I call it) with a few more isolated sidings. Had a problem with the 30 degree crossing, the plastic sections of the crossover were positioned in such a way that if I rolled slowly over them...
-
L
We got bored with that (when I say we I mean Daddy got bored lol) and decided to build a proper bench, 4X8 size. Also bought a remote turnout to make a siding track to park a second train on. Bench is nicely overbuilt, 2X4's 16" on center with angled braces on the legs.
-
L
This was the set we bought, set up on a scrap sheet of ply my dad had in his shed, sitting on plastic sawhorses. This was also the first sheet of landscape paper, the basic green-saw-dust-glued-to-paper stuff which quickly made a mess everywhere and was replaced.
-
L
Our little HO Scale 4X8....
Last Fall my daughter came up to me out of nowhere (6 years old) and said she wanted a train set. Her exact words which I will probably never forget were "Ever since I was a baby my heart wanted a train set." I had tons of trains growing up which culminated in a...
-
L
Another great option and what I am using on my 4X8 is an old laptop power supply. Any power supply will do, as long as the voltage and amperage is right. I got very lucky and had a 12V 5Amp power supply (power brick) from god knows where, I mounted it under my benchwork and ran the leads to...
-
L
Yeah that is the issue, the life like only has a pickup on one truck, the drive truck has no pickups. What's the easiest way to add pickups to the drive truck or the B loco? Any easy recipes for a scratch built pickup? It's a good looking and running loco with the exception of the dead...
-
L
I've been messing around with a small HO layout for about a month now. Without getting into an argument over the virtues of one track over another, I am set up on Life Like Power Loc, and have a pretty decent dual mainline oval with two dual-spur yards and a long crossover / parking track...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)