Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Mechanical Turnouts

    Hey guys, I had another question... I am running Code 80 Atlas tunrouts on my N scale layout. I know that Caboose makes ground throws for them, but I was thinking about going even simpler. I have seen the "spring" idea, whereby you bend a piece of piano wire. Has anyone does this on...
  2. K

    Wiring questions

    As Borat would say, "GREAT SUCCESS!". I just ran my Atlas's GP-38 and SD60M on my mainline! I initially soldered the leads onto either piece of rail near my powerpack, and real quickly twisted them to my connections. I am really surprised at how well they ran. I am running Atlas Code 80...
  3. K

    Reputable online business?

    Thanks guys - Yeah, when I've done plastic model kits (1/700 ships and whatnot), I used Hobbylinc. I always liked them. However, I couldn't find a 3 window SD-60M and my Grand Trunk GP-38 from anyone else, so I got them from BLW. I was fairly pleased with the service - they didn't...
  4. K

    Wiring questions

    Hey guys, I just bought an MRC Tech 4 220 powerpack for my N scale layout. I have all the mainline now layed on my cork roadbed. I was looking at how to wire it all up - I have 18 gauge speaker wire, and was going to solder up all the necessary connections. However, I have a few questions-...
  5. K

    Tightest turn radius on N scale?

    Hey guys, I'm going to have a paper mill on my N scale layout (working on it as I type!). Anywho, I had toyed with the idea of running Life-Like's SW 1200 switcher, along with only 40' (unless 50'?) boxcars, hoppers, and tankers. How tight could I go? I was hoping around the 8" radius...
  6. K

    Reputable online business?

    Reputable online business (BLWNSCALE)? Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has ordered through Brooklyn Locomotive Works: http://www.blwnscale.com/ I was thinking about ordering their Atlas GP-38 and SD60M. I'm not tyring to start anything negative at all - I'm just new to this...
  7. K

    Soundpacks for engines?

    Thanks Josh - yeah, I found the MRC external unit with controller and speakers in my Schrader's catalog. Is that system good? As well, who makes a regular DC system? This sounds intriuging... :cool: Kyle
  8. K

    Soundpacks for engines?

    Hey guys, I'm really starting to get into my N scale layout of the Alabama Gulf railroad. I plan to run one powerpack, and possibly a seperate insulated block for a switcher - so bascially, just cab control. I mention this, because I know some locomotives are DCC/Sound equipped, but I...
  9. K

    Giggity Giggity! Family Guy reefers are here!

    Haha, awesome man! I love Family Guy... one of the very few TV shows I watch. :D Even though it's from a cartoon, you pulled it off beautifully - looks very realistic. I like the "Giggity-giggity" graffi too... LOL Kyle
  10. K

    Cab Control?

    Oh, okay. So basically, those wires would supplement the metal rail joiners, right? They don't go to anywhere else (like a powerpack or anything), they just jump over from piece of track to the next - helping the rail joiner's out? Kyle
  11. K

    Cab Control?

    Hey Willis - when you say feeder wires, do you mean just soldering on some short (say, 3") wires, from one section of flextrack to the next? I would guess, you could run this under the track, and either in between the roadbed, or even under it too? Thanks, Kyle
  12. K

    Cab Control?

    Cool, thanks Rico! I plan to have the shortline seperate from the mainline (they both start in the same city, though different yards - one runs north, one runs east). So, the shortline will be independent of all other track, and have it's own powerpack. On the mainline however, it will...
  13. K

    Cab Control?

    Hey guys, I am building (now changed) an N scale layout of both Alabama Gulf Railroad shortline, and a CSX mainline. Anywho, DCC is expensive, and I want to do cab control - I have the basic jist of how it works, and am decent at understanding wiring, as well as soldering up connections...
  14. K

    Continuation of small HO

    Hey guys, thanks for the input. Well it was a 4x8 but it would be a real tight squeeze to walk around - so I cut it to 4x7. See, here's the thing - due to not so much money constraints, but rahter simplicity for this first model, I will not have DCC, or run more than one train. It will...
  15. K

    Continuation of small HO

    Hey guys! I went to Home Depot today, got a 4x7 sheet of plywood and am making my legs now for it - will have it a bit below four feet, so the vantage point won't be too high. Anywho, I think I've got a real good idea of how my layout would work. I drew this up real quick in Paint, and it...
  16. K

    Starting a small HO layout

    Hey Paul - yeah, I used to live pretty close to a paper mill in Cantonment, FL - south of Atmore and all that. It would smell for up to 40+ miles if the wind was right that day! :eek: Hey Rotor - I went to the TrainMasterModels there in Duluth, across from the museum. I haven't tried any...
  17. K

    Starting a small HO layout

    Thanks guys - yeah, I definitely don't want just hoppers running around my layout all the time. I can imagine that would get boring pretty quick! :o I know that paper mills nowadays are very involved, and could be modeled on a large switching layout in itself. However, I was thinking of...
  18. K

    Starting a small HO layout

    Hey Jim, thanks a lot for the input! I got my job I found out yesterday... (YES!!!) so I already ran up to Atlanta's hobby shop and checked out some stuff. I'm really intrigued with the idea you gave me, of running a normal mainline (like CSX, or NS) supplying coal, and also have a...
  19. K

    Starting a small HO layout

    Hey, thanks for the input guys! I guess something like a yard, and a plant would be cool to do then too - though, if I did do a port, it could maybe oils that are transported in? I'm trying to find out what the Intra-Coastal waterways deliver with barges. They run all around there too, to the...
  20. K

    Starting a small HO layout

    Thanks guys! Yeah, I was noticing the more recent Alabama railway hardly has any of their own units - seems to be leased out Gran Trunk Western's, or old Burlington Northern units. So I guess I could weather the heck out of a different locomotive and call it on lease for "X" railways. :)...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top