Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Old track information

    Cool, thanks guys! I use to railfan there a lot, but noticed a couple spots where old track used to lay (now covered by asphalt) - as well, I've seen pictures of an old passing lane which no longer exist as well... Hey Glenn - Alabama Gulf Coast RR now owns the old Frisco line (which used to...
  2. K

    good way to strip paint?

    Hey there, I stripped down my Atlas GP30, and this method worked well for me. What you have to do, is soak the shell in atleast a 91% isopropyl alcohol - supposedly (this is what I was told) that anything less doesn't work... say for instance 70% rubbing alcohol won't cut it. You can find...
  3. K

    Old track information

    Hey guys, Just wondering - how do you go about finding out how the tracks were laid years back? I'm wondering about Atmore, Alabama in between 1950-1980. Can I email a city or county office or something? Kind of far for me to drive... Thanks! Kyle
  4. K

    Dash 8 questions

    Cool, thanks Dave! How do I slide the wheels, to get the correct gauge? Take off the truck and disassemble? Or just keep everything together and push with some needlenose? Kyle
  5. K

    Cement facility - how it works?

    Woah, cool Carey! Thanks a lot... and that's what I am going with modelling, though I think he's pulled it off just a little bit better than I can :o Kyle
  6. K

    Dash 8 questions

    Hey guys - I've got a couple questions. I just got my Bachmann Spectrum dash 8 loco (N scale). I knew it had Rapido style couplers, but is it easy to change them out to Magne-Matics? As well - the wheels appear to be out of gauge. It runs fine over my Atlas 20* crossover, however the...
  7. K

    Cement facility - how it works?

    Cool, thanks Rotor! I think that is it then. I know how concrete works at that location radioman... I am just trying to see how the material physically goes from the deliverer (covered hopper, or even a barge) to the pile. There's no conveyor, dumping pits, cranes, docks, anything. Like it...
  8. K

    Electrofrog or Insulfrog?

    Hey guys, I'm working on a shelf switching layout right now - it is only DC, and was wondering. Do I want the electrofrog or the insulfrog (looking at Peco) for my turnouts and a track crossing? I'd assume the difference is the electrofrog is all metal, and would give better conductivity...
  9. K

    Cement facility - how it works?

    Thanks Rotor, I used www.yellowpages.com and you can search State Docks, Mobile, AL I found that address you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure that's another warehouse I found east of the picture I posted - where big ships actually dock. I can't find an address for that little cement...
  10. K

    Cement facility - how it works?

    Hey guys, I'm gathering research for the Alabama State Docks in Mobile, and have found that the TASD RR does serve Lafarge, a cement company in their immediate dock area. Anways, this is the only spot I can find that has anything to do with cement around their - and the mixers *look* like...
  11. K

    DCCing a loco?

    Hey guys, I really like this Dash 8 loco in the CSX color - and can only find one, the Bachmann Spectrum: http://nscalesupply.com/BAC/BAC-Dash-8CW.html It says on their website "DCC ready", but I've heard that it has the spots were the wires would go. How hard is it then, to add a...
  12. K

    Yard operations?

    Hey guys, I have been looking at Mobile Al's yard, which is interesting. They have their own Terminal Alabama State Docks railroad running little MP15 switchers, along with mainlines of CSX, Norfolk Southern, and Burlington Northern (now Alabama Gulf shortline). There are lots of docks...
  13. K

    Track geometry coach car?

    Hey guys, Was browsing around pictures of a yard, and found this piece of rolling stock -what exactly is a "track geometry" car? It says Maintinence of Way in the description as well... http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=613968 Thanks! Kyle
  14. K

    N scale turnouts

    Thanks Jim - I tried both filing and doing the polish trick - but my SD60 still hates the turnouts. And my rolling stock sometimes as well, due to the points shifting slightly. That's why I also was wondering about different turnouts than the Atlas - I wanted more resistance in the points...
  15. K

    N scale turnouts

    Hey guys, I have Atlas code 80 turnouts right now on my N scale table layout, but they seem to be hit and miss - some of the points themselves are sharp and have good throw, others seem blunt and not 100%. As well, my 2 axled diesels (Geeps) run great on them, but two different 3 axled...
  16. K

    Florala, Alabama?

    Hey guys, I have a lot of my family from there, as well as my dad was raised there mostly. He recalls there used to be a railroad that ran through there. Anyone know how I can find out about it? I've tried researching, but can't seem to find anything really - best info I've determined is...
  17. K

    2-6-6-2?

    Thanks guys, Yeah - I guess I meant the only symetrical articulated they had (symetrical being, 2-6-6-2, 2-8-8-2, 4-6-6-4, etc, :) ) I read about how they were loud and didn't pull very well - didn't know they fell apart though! :eek: I plan to have only a 2% grade on my layout, and...
  18. K

    2-6-6-2?

    Thanks guys, Yeah, I know Southern only had 2-8-8-2 articulated's, but I was going to freelance. Very similar engines with the same goal (haul coal surley but slowly) plus I can't find a 2-8-8-2 - I've seen Life-Like's Proto, but it's not for sale. I can only reserve it and it said it was...
  19. K

    2-6-6-2?

    Hey guys, I'm working on my Southern N scale layout - and was wanting to maybe use a bigger articulated steam for coal hauling. Ahywho, got to looking at Bachmann's Spectrum 2-6-6-2. What the heck is this thing? I have tried to find info on it, but almost no avail. Was like only one...
  20. K

    A few more questions

    Hey guys, I'm still getting into this hobby - and loaded with questions! :o One being, I have changed to the Southern Railway as my N scale layout... modelling the late '40's to early '50's so I can run some steam and diesel. How do I know what lines they had back then? I have got a...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top