Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Ballasting Unitrack

    Thanks guys, Yeah, I was looking - you can easily use the Kato unijoiners already on the track, and just hook up whatever standard track you want. I have some Micro-Engineering flextrack and turnouts. Nice stuff, but it's code 70- which sucks, because the Kato is 80 (like all others). So...
  2. K

    Ballasting Unitrack

    Hey guys, I'm working on my layout right now which is mostly a brewery - I am using Kato unitrack, and all is well. Except, for in the brewery/yard itself, the track is already sitting up on a high right-of-way. Any ideas with how to fill in the areas between tracks, so it will look like...
  3. K

    Seaboard passenger trains?

    Cool, thanks so much guys! Yeah, I guess I had a couple beers and the name slipped on the keyboard - I meant Orange Blossom Special... :o So, it seems then if I used "Pullman" lettered (without even a roadname) heavyweight, that would be pretty prototypical. I know a lot of lines used just...
  4. K

    Seaboard passenger trains?

    Hey guys, I was wondering what Seboard would have used on passenger trains? I can't seem to find any photos - I was thinking like an E6 during the 1940s-'60s. This was the line that had the Wabash Cannonball, right? Would they have run just "Pullman" lettered heavyweights then, or...
  5. K

    Elephant Ears on 3985?

    Thanks for the info Don - will do! Do you know how I could go about finding the part numbers for the N scale? Kyle
  6. K

    Elephant Ears on 3985?

    I like the way they look myself - I was wondering. I have the same thing - Challenger 3985 from Athearn, but N scale. Do they make detachable ears for it too? Kyle
  7. K

    Need help selecting a DC (HO) speed controller.

    I have a MRC Tech 4 which is the 220 model. I love it! Nice heft and quality to it, it has a nice big, smooth throttle, along with built in load adjuster circuitry, and the momentum feature (acclerates/decelerates trains slowly and realistically). Works very well for crawling my Atlas N...
  8. K

    Any Atlanta folks here?

    I thought it was like over 12 hours bottle-to-throttle? Kyle
  9. K

    Decoder lifespan?

    Cool, thanks guys. Like I've said before, I'm still just getting into this hobby, so I've got some dumb questions... :o I figured they should last for a long while - just was curious about reliability or anything to help them last longer. Closest hobby I've done is R/C planes - my dad...
  10. K

    Decoder lifespan?

    Hey guys, Was just wondering - do decoders break a lot, or last short time compated to just a DC loco? I don't want my Athearn Challenger to break... I've heard as well, don't spike the throttle to setup the max voltage (I'm running DC, with it's built in DCC remote thingie), instead go up...
  11. K

    N scale with sound?

    Hey guys, Was just wondering if anyone knew of N scale loco's that had sound in them. I got Athearn's Challenger and love the thing. It seems that Precision Craft Models make's some old Alco/E units with sound in them as well. Thanks! Kyle
  12. K

    Athearn 4-6-6-4

    Hey guys, I was on a vacation back down in FL this weekend, and on a drastic whim, I picked up a N scale Challenger. I love the thing! Has awesome details, performance, and even sound - for a DC guy! :D I heard you can change the whistle type (from deep, to high-pitched) for her, but...
  13. K

    What's in your dsiplay case?

    Thanks Dave! I've been on the Alabama a lot since I was a kid - last time I went (before I moved up here to GA) was after Katrina I think it was busted everything up. The ship had righted herself a lot, but still had a slight list. Also, the submarine they have there (Gato class, U.S.S. Drum)...
  14. K

    What's in your dsiplay case?

    Well, I've just started model railroading... but I do have a glass display case my hunny got for me - it houses me custom 69' ZL1 Camaro, and my South Dakota class battleship. They are 1/24, and 1/700 scale plastic models. The Camaro took me about 80 hours, a kitbash of several first...
  15. K

    Weekend Photofun 16-17-18

    Hey guys, awesome stuff! I can finally post something now of my modelling progress. :) This doesn't look near as good as all of ya'lls stuff here, but bear with me - it's my first attempt at weathering freight, as well as modelling a one off locomotive. It was a totally undecorated Atlas...
  16. K

    Car vs. Amtrak! Train wins!

    I don't worry about it too much though - call me cruel, but I have picked up and learned (in my very short time here too) that a lot of people are dumb. Not all, but a lot. It's just thinning out the gene pool... Which is a big stance of mine from local laws, to government, to everyone...
  17. K

    Gel-Pens

    Hey guys, I've weathered up a N scale CSX 50' boxcar with rust and dirt, however - I was wanting to add some graffiti. I thought I heard somewhere that gel pens worked well for this. Can anyone give me some input? Thanks! Kyle
  18. K

    Mobile, AL?

    Hm... great. :eek: That's what I was worried about. I have been to Mobile a lot, and of course through the safer areas of it. I was wondering though if the north outskirts were a bit shady, especially since it's near tracks and older industries (guess I was right). Maybe I can get a police...
  19. K

    Mobile, AL?

    Hey guys, Done a lot of stomping around in southern AL, but was thinking of researching my railroad first hand Memorial Day weekend. However, I've never been to this particular place, and was just wondering how it is - especially due to the tracks and industries around. Is it safe on the...
  20. K

    good way to strip paint?

    Hey, cool - didn't know that! Yeah, I just heard that the "minimum" was 91%+... but obviously others will work too. Either way, it seems to work well gettin' rid of the paint. I'm working on a MP15 right now in N scale that was undecorated - looking decent so far for my first custom! :)...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top