Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Weekend Photo Fun 2-27/2-28

    Cool stuff guys! Here's just a quick shot of my soon to be ex Conrail SD60... won a Norfolk Southern shell for her. I just ballasted and grassed a bit of the layout... simple shelf trackplan. Modelling the local job here in Douglasville, GA. Kyle
  2. K

    Athearn SD60 shell swap

    Hey guys, I've got an Athearn Genesis SD60M, sound equipped (HO). I plan to swap over the wide cab shell it has, for a standard "Spartan" SD60 shell, from Athearn's regular DC locomotives. Should it pretty much just drop over my current DDC/sound frame alright? I know I'd have to take...
  3. K

    FP-7 nose door?

    Oh, okay - thanks guys. So an MU hose, is that the big fat red one on most modern diesels now? I thought about it being some sort of hose plug, but figured they were all at the bottom, near the coupler. That still begs the question - how come I've seen so many pictures of the locomotive...
  4. K

    FP-7 nose door?

    Hmm.... Yeah, it looks almost like a camera, or a light/signal of some sort. I have really only seen it on FP7s though, and a few E units too. Maybe it's top secret ;) Kyle
  5. K

    FP-7 nose door?

    Hey guys, I have been noticing while researching photos for my N scale Southern railroad, that a lot of EMD FP-7s have this little door open on the nose, with like a camera/light looking thing in it. Just wondering, what is it? Here's a link...
  6. K

    Order a shell from Atlas

    Hm... that's intriguing Jim - always wanted that smooth running Atlas GP30 in the ol' orange kitty-cat paint scheme! Kyle
  7. K

    Order a shell from Atlas

    Cool, thanks. I was looking and found undecorated shells, but no roadname ones. Can you order, say, just a CSX shell? Or will I probably have to just buy the whole locomotive again? Thanks, Kyle
  8. K

    Order a shell from Atlas

    Hey guys, Tried a while back to repaint my N scale GP30... didn't work out too well. Ended up on a hiatus, losing a few parts to the shell, etc. Anyways, is there a way to order just the shell from Atlas? The mechanism is still fine, so I don't really want to have to buy a whole nother...
  9. K

    Locomotives rust?

    Huh, that's interseting Jim - thanks. Makes sense now. Though, kind of marrs (spelling? I believe that is the word) the asthetics of the machine... :o Kyle
  10. K

    Locomotives rust?

    Hey guys, Just a quick, silly question - was looking up some real (or, uhm *cough* "prototype") locomotives like I like to do on a Friday night having a few beers ;) . Anyways, stumbled on this brand new GE loco and noticed that the coupler and drivers already appear to be covered in surface...
  11. K

    Weekend Photo Fun 15, 16,17

    I guess since it's still Thursday, I'll go ahead and post my current progress picture of my layout. I'll be gone for the next six days, down in Florida with family, and headin up to Atmore/Flomaton Alabama for railfanning too! :) Anywho, starting putting in a grade crossing, more sceniced...
  12. K

    Signal Lights

    Thanks guys! Yeah, they defnitely have come a long way. Quicksilver has been a good, successful company surviving since the late '70s to this day. My airplane is powered by a 2 cycle Bombardier/Rotax motor, and is made up of AN quality hardware, aircraft grade aluminum and chromoly steel...
  13. K

    Signal Lights

    I fly hombuilts/ultralights. Got about 500 hours now. My plane (and the picture above) is a Quicksilver MX. I've flown pretty much all the panhandle of FL, lower AL, and into MS. Here's a pic of it. I have the scheme modelled after one of my favorite planes - an old SNJ-3 (Navy version...
  14. K

    Signal Lights

    Hey Jim, Yeah - used to go there a lot with my pops to watch trains. Will be there next weekend actually! :D We would stomp all around there, between Century, FL (right below Flomaton), over to Atmore, AL. I remember following a freight out of the yard there, over and past Atmore when I...
  15. K

    Signal Lights

    Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, I wasn't planning to try to hook it up to sensors and have it operable or anything - just a cool static detail. I just know from when I've watched trains, there's a siding or a diverging track I guess you could call it with signals around them. Thought it would be...
  16. K

    Signal Lights

    Hey guys, Just got another quick question - I'm moving my scenic progress on down my layout. I have just a stub siding I guess you could call it (does not reconnect, like a passing lane). I wanted to put up some vertical light signals, but was wondering - I know there would be two...
  17. K

    Vaccum cleaner + ballast?

    Cool, thanks Rotor! Kyle
  18. K

    Vaccum cleaner + ballast?

    Hey guys, Working on my mountain cut right now - long story short, sucks that I sceniced everything else besides the track/ballast and little weeds on the side of the right of way. I have put down matte medium, and Woodland Scenics fine ballast and was wondering- Is it safe to suck up...
  19. K

    Electrical switch question?

    Hey Rotor, No, they're not momentary - but the Off position is it's natural, middle state. So like you said, I need to just flip it either up or down, then back to the Off. I definitely don't want to burn them up - especially when they're all set down in the layout! Kyle
  20. K

    Atlanta Train Show Aug.9th

    Yeah, I caught it too - it wasn't awesome, but it was decent I thought. The one in March was a bit better I thought too though. I liked the Ntrak layout they had, pretty cool to watch them run it (especially when you're still a newbie like me!) Kind of dissapointed in the amount of swap...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top