ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
V
Will DCC run older locomotives? Do I need to do something to the locomotives to make them run on DCC?
Also, This 4-8-8-4 I have; can I re-fit the motor somehow to be in the boiler like the newer ones? Does anyone sell an aftermarket to detail the inside of the cab if I do this? I got my...
-
V
Ok, so I have a lot of older trains. Will they work on a DCC layout?
Also, I bought a Red Box (Rivarossi) 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and when it came, I noticed that the motor was in the cab. I thought Red box had the motors in the boiler?
-
V
Ok I'll check out the book at amazon.com. DCC sounds that way to go.
Anything on the Seattle roundhouse?
-
V
Ok I have a few new questions.
I wanted to include a roundhouse in my layout. The roundhouse just south of Fisherman's Terminal (Seattle), was it around in the 30s-40s? Does anyone have any historical photos of the roundhouse?
Also, I keep hearing people talk about DC and DCC. What is that?
-
V
Surely smoking something.... Well, that's why I call it evil-bay. So where can I get these newer Rivarossi's?
-
V
So on the topic of price inflation; in my November 1986 issue of Model Railroader, Train World/Train Land and America's Hobby Center have the Rivarossi 4-8-8-4 Big Boy for $160. Now they are going for $500-1,000+. Why? I don't see how they could have gone up that much in 24 years. Maybe it's...
-
V
There's a very nice Class F7 4-6-4 on ebay right now, but can't afford it at the moment.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivarossi-MILWAUKEE-ROAD-Hiawatha-F7-HUDSON-Steam-NEW-/200492065571?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eae422323
Does anyone know of any good model RR classifieds to post...
-
V
Ok well, I'd like to make a list of places that I can get these locomotives.
I'd mostly like to find the R-3a 4-8-2 pictured above. I think it might be expensive though. The box said custom brass by NJ.
The 4-4-0's are easy to find by Rivarossi and Bachmann.
4-6-4 F7 I've seen around...
-
V
Thanks for the Link!
I have noticed that must are in brass. The 4-8-8-4 seems rare, but you could get it back in the 80s from most hobby shops for around $200. Now I seem them for $800+...
Most of these I will collect over time as it looks like most are available. I agree on the idea of more...
-
V
I used to see Santa Fe up in Seattle before they merged in 96 though. It was probably due to the BNSF merge that was soon to come though. I doubt they were here in the 30s-40s
-
V
Spokane, Portland & Seattle had their own RR Co?
-
V
Milwaukee Road, Chicago? That's interesting. I've seen Santa Fe up here but I'm talking 30s-40s for my layout and I only know what's been up here over the last 30 years.
-
V
Also, what rail lines operated up here in the Northwest during that time? I know of Northern Pacific, Burlington Northern, and Union Pacific, but I'm not sure.
-
V
I looked it up and it looks like everyone is correct; it's a feedwater heater. I've found some sites online that sell kits to add this to most locomotives.
As for my list; Yes I want to do an era layout but I know that the list of trains I am looking for are a huge range and from different...
-
V
Oh I forgot to mention; all of these trains where found in "The Great Book of Trains" by Brian Hollingsworth and Arthur Cook. Portland House publishing co.
-
V
Hi, I am totally new here. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
First let me introduce myself! I am from Seattle, WA and I love the wet, green, rainy Pacific Northwest! I love my alder smoked salmon and the smell of pine! When I move into a house and have space, I'd like to build a...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)