ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
M
The ditch lights are required if you wish to run over 20 mph over road crossings. Since most railroads want their trains to run over 20 mph typically on an engine intended for through freight (faster speeds) service you would have ditch lights on the front only, since the engine will normally...
-
M
If we "encounter unexpected high water" we're supposed to slap the throttle down to idle, flip the generator field switch open, then slap the throttle back to Number 8. Theoretically the traction motor blowers will hopefully blow enough air down through the traction motors to keep the water out...
-
M
I've found a few copies online of that Dean Freytag book, :eek: , what's it printed on golden fleece?
-
M
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I would like some recommendations of good reference material pertaining to the Pennsy steam era serving steel mills. Photos of the freight cars would be especially helpful as I already have lots of photos of the...
-
M
Sometimes I switch a Nestle Purina plant that makes petfood and they get 3 bay covered hoppers of powdered "cattle products". They always come in BNSF or predecessor roads cars. How you powder a cow I'm almost afraid to ask but they figured it out. :eek:
Another place receives roofing...
-
M
Just south of Atlanta there's an interesting business that gets 3 bay open top hoppers full of broken glass. The glass comes in all colors but normally the entire car will be filled with the same color of glass. The glass is ground up and used to make home insulation. The cars are unloaded by...
-
M
I did something with my train collection just the opposite of what the real railroads do with their engines. They usually replace theirs 2 new for 3 old. They get more power, and less fuel consumption and better reliability, not to mention fewer engines to maintain. I had a fleet of relatively...
-
M
Here's an interesting bit of info straight from a professional railroading magazine. The average 50' boxcar in unassigned service only makes 2 revenue trips (loaded) per YEAR. In assigned service it probably gets about 6 trips. Something in unit train service can probably get 2 trips a month...
-
M
Ok, thanks. I took it to one guys house and we tried to run it but it couldn't make it around the curves. He said he wasn't sure what his minimum radius was, so I wasn't sure.
-
M
There would have been clerks that kept track lists to know where each and every car was located. It's labor intensive and time consuming but it is accurate. I'm an engineer for a class 1 railroad and there is one yard that we used to have a clerk that kept up with every car in the yard. Then...
-
M
Do any of you know what the minimum turning radius is for a BLI J1 2-10-4?
-
M
I had another thought on the matter and figured I'd ask before I got to far along. Since the track planner lets you tell it what type of track you are using, where is the track made from the different manufacturers? Since I get to be Superintendent of my own railroad, I get to pick the suppliers...
-
M
Thanks guys, I downloaded Xtrkcad and plan to take the tutorial before I get started. I'll keep you posted, Mike
-
M
Do you have any more pics of the rest of the layout? I'm interested in building a two level layout and am looking for ideas, Mike
-
M
Hey all, I'm planning on finally building my first true layout and was wondering if there is a layout track planning program that would help me? I have a general idea of what I want but would like to have firmer plans before I start cutting lumber.
First off, the room is 10' x 10' 6". Not too...
-
M
I used to add weight to all my engines. Then I realized that what was even better, if I wanted to run a long heavy train, was just to add another engine! What better excuse to head down to the hobby shop. "Yes dear, I need another engine. We can't maintain the schedule with what we have right...
-
M
I live in the growing metropolis of Senoia. Can't miss it, just got a new McDonalds at the one red light in town! :D Just a couple of miles from Peachtree City.
-
M
Hello all, I live about an hour south of Atlanta and was looking to meet up with any HO scalers to run trains with. If you're interested pm me, mike
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)